Saints v Kilmarnock 31 August 2019

Jimmy Wallace

4 minutes ago, Kinnoull Kicker said:

Kilmarnock set a pretty tough examination paper. They are very well organised and defensively astute. Had two men on Kennedy and MOH who were unable to provide effective crooks balls. Only after Wright came on did we show any ability to create anything. We can moan all we like about Kane but would Hendry and 90 minutes of May have done anything with the scraps provided - I doubt it. The only real pressure on the defence today came from themselves. Kerr needs to be told not to charge forward like a headless chicken ( he should never have been given the captaincy) and Duffy has promise but is not ready. The conundrum is where Wright should play. Is it either him or MOH or would he be better playing wing back and we go with a back three. If the former what do where does that leave MOH. My gut feeling is we really need an experienced right back and Wright goes ahead of MOH in the pecking order.

MoH and Kennedy had two men on them and hence they nullified our threat - no plan B. A more direct approach isn't realistic as there is no height in out attack and although McCann has promise for me he shows little authority nor vision to make telling through balls.

I think the squad is very unbalanced and hope that this will be rectified to a degree in the coming days. For me an experieced right back and a Jody Morris type midfielder are essential. 

As things stand I reckon this is another season where the majority of our points will come away from home unless TW can adjust personnel, tactics and mindset.

I thought changing the shape and going 2 up top made the difference. May and Kane for 90 mins might have yielded better results.

Killie keeper seemed to be happy to time waste for the majority of the game. Deserved to get booked. Crossed my mind in extra time today that allowing substitutes after 90 mins seems like something they could stop, that kind of nonsense is of no benefit to the game.

15 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

I thought changing the shape and going 2 up top made the difference. May and Kane for 90 mins might have yielded better results.

I think it might have - but possibly would have exposed the weakness in our midfield! For me Wright made areal difference and provided he is fully fit has to be first on the team sheet. question is where and for whom? Recruitment over the next couple of days could be pivotal for our season as I think we can have a good set of forwards ( though lacing height) but are short of a controlling midfielder and experience at that back. Here's hoping TW takes stock and solves the glaring issues.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Nah, he seems to get a bizarre amount of slack because of how "isolated" he apparently is. MOH, Swanson, Kennedy and May all tried to play one two passes with him today to create chances, and every time he completely ended the attack by losing the ball.

Hes a striker who cant win headers, cant pass the ball, can't beat defenders, cant link with the midfield, cant link with other attackers, cant create chances for himself and cant create chances for others. He can run about chasing folk though.

totally disagree

Kane run himself in to the ground and was putting himself about and holding up play for support which was never there

3 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

totally disagree

Kane run himself in to the ground and was putting himself about and holding up play for support which was never there

When did he ever hold up play? Genuinely.

He flicked headers onto nobody, turned back and played a slow pass into a defensive midfielder, or stopped the ball and ran ten yards away from it.

Hes not good enough.

41 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Actually enjoyed that today on the most part and we’ll play much worse and win. 

Got caught short a couple of times with silly defensive errors, and i’d like to see the midfield getting higher up the park when we go forward, but I think we deserved something today and were unlucky on the whole.

not sure on duffy, hopefully we bring in another RB this week as he had so many chances to be on the end of through balls by breaking past the full back and instead just held back, leaving Mikey with little option on that side. 

the lad looks like a decent player but was as nervous as a rapist and couldn't wait to hand the ball off 

we'll play worse and win handily

That was horrendous.

Bit of excitement beforehand, a buzz from a May signing, couple of hundred extra fans, and a shite flat performance.

Absolutely total St Johnstone.

Such an awful insipid match that even killie fans were sitting quietly in the second half despite winning away from home.  Nothing to get the home support involved or excited about either.

Killie went ahead then just sat in, probably bemused at our pathetic attempts at trying to get back in the match.  They won’t have an easier 3points all season.

We just gift goals every game. Killie were doing nothing and then from our free kick we give them the ball, they break forward and score, despite us having a chance to clear it.

Shite crossing all game, pathetic free kicks from Tanser, just an absolute lack of pride in performance to show such poor quality to perform basic straightforward tasks. Especially after last weeks great display.

Duffy looked terrified whenever he had the ball and just desperate for a teammate to take it off him. Kerr had a stinker of a first half as well.

Liam Craig fairly anonymous.  

O’Halloran had a few positive runs, but we didn’t have much more invention than give him the ball and he runs at defenders and lets see what happens.

We still desperately need a centre midfielder to get hold of the ball.

The table doesn’t lie, and I think we deserve to be bottom.

Killie were no great team today and were there for the beating. However, we never really tested them.

MOH played well, but seemed intent on trying to beat as many men as possible. Says 2 things, 1 he is feeling confident and 2. Worryingly  doesn't feel there is anyone going to get on the end of what he produces. 

Kane I hoped would be good alongside May and may well be, but he really isn't a lone striker. Was trying to flick it onto a non existent striker partner. 

Duffy looked out of his depth, but maybe he can come onto a game. I have my doubts.

Most worrying, Kerr was absolutely awful today. Gave the ball away too many times and someone needs to tell him he is not beckenbauer as he cannot play a long pass.

May looked likely, but what I did notice that he has added to his game is that he seemed to really be encouraging the other players, Duffy in particular. Was being very clear on where he wanted the ball to be played into.

We will play worse and win, but really need, as others have suggested, a creative CM, a right back and another striker. 

42 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

That was horrendous.

Bit of excitement beforehand, a buzz from a May signing, couple of hundred extra fans, and a shite flat performance.

Absolutely total St Johnstone.

Such an awful insipid match that even killie fans were sitting quietly in the second half despite winning away from home.  Nothing to get the home support involved or excited about either.

Killie went ahead then just sat in, probably bemused at our pathetic attempts at trying to get back in the match.  They won’t have an easier 3points all season.

We just gift goals every game. Killie were doing nothing and then from our free kick we give them the ball, they break forward and score, despite us having a chance to clear it.

Shite crossing all game, pathetic free kicks from Tanser, just an absolute lack of pride in performance to show such poor quality to perform basic straightforward tasks. Especially after last weeks great display.

Duffy looked terrified whenever he had the ball and just desperate for a teammate to take it off him. Kerr had a stinker of a first half as well.

Liam Craig fairly anonymous.  

O’Halloran had a few positive runs, but we didn’t have much more invention than give him the ball and he runs at defenders and lets see what happens.

We still desperately need a centre midfielder to get hold of the ball.

The table doesn’t lie, and I think we deserve to be bottom.

Pretty accurate summary, defeat in the next two games and we are really in the mire

Funny how we all see the game differently, I was in the "we are doomed camp" but even in defeat there was enough positives for me to think we can avoid a relegation battle.

I thought McCann was very tidy on the ball and kept it ticking over well, also thought that for a slight lad he did not too bad in his physical battles with more experienced and good opposition players.

The centre-back pairing need time and we will concede a few more weak goals, but they will come good.

Main positive is that Tommy will know without doubt Duffy is a country mile away from being a regular starter and we HAVE to get a starter at right back.

Craig looked positionally weak at points and I prefer him when he sits, but at points McCann sat deeper than him.

Kane had a poor game, and slowed/wasted several attacking phases of play, but I still think there's times his work in a 4-4-2 could be of benefit to May.

May looked sharp, Wright as well.

It may take a few weeks until we get the ball rolling, but I think we can start to get some decent results if we add a right back and a central midfielder.

4 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

Funny how we all see the game differently, I was in the "we are doomed camp" but even in defeat there was enough positives for me to think we can avoid a relegation battle.

I thought McCann was very tidy on the ball and kept it ticking over well, also thought that for a slight lad he did not too bad in his physical battles with more experienced and good opposition players.

The centre-back pairing need time and we will concede a few more weak goals, but they will come good.

Main positive is that Tommy will know without doubt Duffy is a country mile away from being a regular starter and we HAVE to get a starter at right back.

Craig looked positionally weak at points and I prefer him when he sits, but at points McCann sat deeper than him.

Kane had a poor game, and slowed/wasted several attacking phases of play, but I still think there's times his work in a 4-4-2 could be of benefit to May.

It may take a few weeks until we get the ball rolling, but I think we can start to get some decent results if we add a right back and a central midfielder.

Agree word for word. 

I actually left today feeling quite positive. 

I’m convinced this is the best attacking side I’ve seen in the 25 years I’ve been regularly watching Saints. 

Not only that, we’re now producing players. The squad is full of guys we’ve produced or been responsible for a major part of their development (I inc MOH and Tanser in that) 

The defence is very young so will make mistakes, but I think things are looking VERY good. 

I remember last time we went down, we had guys like Ludovic Roy on loan. This side is a million miles away from that one and has the strength to battle. I won’t even panic if we lose the next 2 games. 

6 hours ago, SlickDT said:

Yes games is all about opinions and many can watch the same game and give different critiques on the events and performances that unfolded.

I think we will be in a relegation battle as it will take us awhile to get off of the bottom and goal difference could be a factor in the end.

In my opinion McCann had a poor game it passed him by with long punts up the park and us attacking down the wings. No only is he slight and loses most of his physical battles, he lacks pace. He does have good potential but the Premier league is not the place for it to develop. He reminds me of Scott Brown who came in as youngster and failed to live up to his glorious reviews.

The centre back pair are not good enough and again lack pace, position sense and experience told yesterday. For what it is worth, I believe Gordon is a better player than Kerr. Yes they will concede goals, weak goals but what if does not come good; Aberdeen and Rangers next not good opposition to try and get things sorted. But they will need to as they are best we have and that is one of reasons why I think we will be in a relegation battle.

I agree Craig needs to sit just in front of the back 4 and give them protection. Stay and do not for any reason venture forward.

Kane generally has poor game but his efforts are second to none but effort does not get points. I agree, he has to be tried in a front 2 along with May.

Wright is a bonus coming back.

As you said getting a Central defensive midfielder could be key to our survival. We desperately need clean sheets to get points and I cannot one coming soon.  

You stated it is a funny old game, I agree and respect your opinion but disagree on some of you statements. If I am in the doom and gloom camp because of what i have said so be it.

It would be a kindness to Chris Kane to let him go on loan to the championship, his level, before any vague reputation he has left is totally destroyed with us. He is not good enough at this level, working hard is great, but it’s not enough.

Wallace Duffy isn’t ready, and frankly Craig and Davidson looked off the pace.

Yesterday was just another in a long list of weak home defeats that always start with a defensive mindset. It’s harder to take with the two week break coming up, but the likelyhood is we will be heading in to our home game v Motherwell in the 28th hoping to not be cut adrift at the bottom.

The positive? We have fantastic attacking options, but we can’t keep giving up the first goal, we need a stunning result v Aberdeen or Rangers to boost this season.

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Yes games is all about opinions and many can watch the same game and give different critiques on the events and performances that unfolded.

I think we will be in a relegation battle as it will take us awhile to get off of the bottom and goal difference could be a factor in the end.

In my opinion McCann had a poor game it passed him by with long punts up the park and us attacking down the wings. No only is he slight and loses most of his physical battles, he lacks pace. He does have good potential but the Premier league is not the place for it to develop. He reminds me of Scott Brown who came in as youngster and failed to live up to his glorious reviews.

The centre back pair are not good enough and again lack pace, position sense and experience told yesterday. For what it is worth, I believe Gordon is a better player than Kerr. Yes they will concede goals, weak goals but what if does not come good; Aberdeen and Rangers next not good opposition to try and get things sorted. But they will need to as they are best we have and that is one of reasons why I think we will be in a relegation battle.

I agree Craig needs to sit just in front of the back 4 and give them protection. Stay and do not for any reason venture forward.

Kane generally has poor game but his efforts are second to none but effort does not get points. I agree, he has to be tried in a front 2 along with May.

Wright is a bonus coming back.

As you said getting a Central defensive midfielder could be key to our survival. We desperately need clean sheets to get points and I cannot one coming soon.  

You stated it is a funny old game, I agree and respect your opinion but disagree on some of you statements. If I am in the doom and gloom camp because of what i have said so be it.

Not the doom and gloom camp but the facing up to reality camp, god forbid but another 2 defeats in next couple of games worsening goal difference points gap opening up, we would then need to go on a run over next few games just to keep in touch that is not doom and gloom but hard facts and reality.

2 hours ago, SconeSaintees said:

Not the doom and gloom camp but the facing up to reality camp, god forbid but another 2 defeats in next couple of games worsening goal difference points gap opening up, we would then need to go on a run over next few games just to keep in touch that is not doom and gloom but hard facts and reality.

Seems we’re starting to get stuck in a rut loosing silly goals next few weeks are massive very easy and quick to get detached from the bottom group hopefully the break has come at a good time get regrouped and kick on 

4 hours ago, Johnny B said:

@SlickDT I should have added I was not at the game. I watched it on Saints TV and you do not always see the big picture.

WAP gets a bad rap from certain ones on other sites, but when two fans can have differing opinions and explain why then I think it's where online forums come into their own. Good to have difference of opinions- I personally didn't see McCann lose many battles and I think his two fellow central midfielders weren't much help to him at points when it came to building possession.

As for the centre-back pairing up until last season I believed Gordon was the better player of the two, but Kerr's performances week in and week out were excellent and convinced me he is a future top class player, a poorer performance like yesterday isn't going to convince me otherwise and I think we all may have to accept with such a young back-line mistakes will be made. I'd guess one day we get a decent transfer fee for both of them.

Did our goal look onside on the tv?