Saints capped players.

Cagey

9 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I see Matty Kennedy has been called up for NI.

We now have 4 squad players in international squads. Is this the most we have ever had ?.

I think it must be  .Still baffled why in a squad of 3 keepers Zander is overlooked again.Being in a squad tells manager and staff a lot about your game even if you dont step on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Kilgour said:

I think it must be  .Still baffled why in a squad of 3 keepers Zander is overlooked again.Being in a squad tells manager and staff a lot about your game even if you dont step on the pitch.

I can't believe we're still dreaming that Zander is good enough for Scotland.

44 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Pretty sure in the early 90s we had 9 internationalists on the go - O'Boyle, Griffin, O'Halloran etc and even Paul Deas for Scotland u-21s.

Yep, there were definitely times during the Sturrock era where we had to have First Division matches cancelled because we had so many players away on international duty at the same time. This is just from memory, but I reckon there was a point when O'Boyle, Griffin, Dasovic, McCluskey and Whiteford were all called up at the same time. Philip Scott, Stephen Robertson, Kieran McAnespie and Callum Davidson were in and out of Scotland U21 squads at that time too. Possibly also Alan Main, though I think maybe his call-ups were generally after we got promoted. I'm not sure if O'Halloran ever actually got a call-up during his time with us but I do remember when we signed him he'd been an Ireland U-21 international. 

I'm fairly sure there's a photo in one of the lounges at McDiarmid of a bunch of mid-90s Saints players who were all called up at the same time, all standing together in their international kits. I can't find it online though, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

How much do saints get paid for having players called up for international squads? 

A LOT if it’s a tournament finals. For other games, the associations have to compensate for injuries suffered (I presume they take out insurance). This was to encourage clubs to stop pulling players out with mystery injuries. I think that’s how it works, others may know more.

1 hour ago, MySpazz said:

We have 

Spoony
Estonian 
Matt K
McCann

All on the go 

With

May
Muzz
Kerr
Zander
Who else??

all having tasted International set up 

According to Wikipedia 

O'Halloran Under 16, 17, 19 and 21

Duffy Under 17 and 19

Ralston Under 19, 20 and 21

Holt Under 19, 20 and 21

Edited by Johnny B

On 9/5/2019 at 12:22 PM, cristo said:

I can't believe we're still dreaming that Zander is good enough for Scotland.

I actually thought a couple of seasons ago that he could get in Scotland squad but he seems to have regressed. Doesn't fill me with faith he used to. Doesn't command his area like he used to & seems reluctant to come off his line. That may be down to new coach or Tommy's instructions.

8 hours ago, Cagey said:

I actually thought a couple of seasons ago that he could get in Scotland squad but he seems to have regressed. Doesn't fill me with faith he used to. Doesn't command his area like he used to & seems reluctant to come off his line. That may be down to new coach or Tommy's instructions.

Those are all instructions from Tommy. He said so in an interview a couple of years ago. He doesn't like keepers 'commanding their area'.

Guest ScottMann

I think some people miss the point. I doubt anyone thinks Zander should be the number one choice for Scotland. People feel that given some of the third/fourth choice and younger keepers brought into the squad that are no better and sometimes actually worse than Zander, eg Jack Hamilton, he should be given his chance in the squad. At various points I've seen fans of other teams say Clark and Kerr should be included in squads so it's not just blue titted specs that has Saints fans saying they be, when they are playing well enough to deserve it.

2 hours ago, ScottMann said:

I think some people miss the point. I doubt anyone thinks Zander should be the number one choice for Scotland. People feel that given some of the third/fourth choice and younger keepers brought into the squad that are no better and sometimes actually worse than Zander, eg Jack Hamilton, he should be given his chance in the squad. At various points I've seen fans of other teams say Clark and Kerr should be included in squads so it's not just blue titted specs that has Saints fans saying they be, when they are playing well enough to deserve it.

Jeez , Hoodlum will be wanting a pair o they blue  titted specs.