2018/2019 FINANCIAL FIGURES

callander saint

Saints yesterday released their Financial  Accounts for the 12 months to 31st May 2019 showing a Trading Loss of £150,000 . Although not great news at least we have the comport of having almost 2 million in the  Bank to cover this loss. Today I have read that Caley Thistle are holding an Extraordinary Meeting tonight to try and raise funds to ward off Administration . Apparently they are about to release their  Financial Accounts showing a yearly loss of £800.000 !!! . Without wanting to gloat about Caley Thistle's problems I think this just shows how important it is for clubs our size to have Directors who are prudent and do not let their hearts rule their heads. At times S Brown might appear pretty tightfisted but  this is necessary for the long term future of our club.

I actually don't think he has been tightfisted. We've got some good players. When was FYE? March 31st? If so, it wouldn't take into account players off the books, resignings & May. If only we could double our adult season tickets to 1,500 & get a home support of 3,500 we'd be sweet. If only... what proportion of revenue is from non-football activities? The hospitality always seems to do well. 

That Championship must be a killer, debt ridden.  Mind the last time we were rekegated we had to severely make cuts.  Evident old SPFL teams who have been relegated do not make adequate cuts and will clearly be in debt.  This why it is vitally important for our club never to get relegated.  Alloa and Arbroath probably only 2 living sensibly in that league.

£150k loss is managable Id guess.  Not at the stages of buying a brick yet.

15 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

I actually don't think he has been tightfisted. We've got some good players. When was FYE? March 31st? If so, it wouldn't take into account players off the books, resignings & May. If only we could double our adult season tickets to 1,500 & get a home support of 3,500 we'd be sweet. If only... what proportion of revenue is from non-football activities? The hospitality always seems to do well. 

I personally feel that S Brown supports our Manager very well from our limited resources but certain fans feel he is rather tight with our cash . Year  End for the Accounts is 31 May 2019 . Turnover in total is 4.7 Million but this is not broken down into separate categories so I am unable to comment re Hospitality Income as a % of Total Income.

7 minutes ago, callander saint said:

I personally feel that S Brown supports our Manager very well from our limited resources but certain fans feel he is rather tight with our cash . Year  End for the Accounts is 31 May 2019 . Turnover in total is 4.7 Million but this is not broken down into separate categories so I am unable to comment re Hospitality Income as a % of Total Income.

SB has supported Tommy with funds despite him spunking cash on wages for shite to sit in the stand.

A summary of the loss and finances in general was discussed by the Directors at the open night thing a month ago? An excellent summary of the finances/meeting in general was posted on here (or maybe it was Paulo on P&B).

Anyway...yes, clearly relegation wouldn't be great but our finances are such that we would be in a better state to deal with it than most clubs. 

• 1 month later...

I think thats our accounts for 18/19 out now.

Few things I've noticed that seem interesting, with the caveat I'm pretty bad at reading things the wrong way.

• Lionel Richie concert a "success" but they feel they could've made more from it, and they're actively trying to get more concerts held at the ground.
  • Club still haven't been paid for the CPO on the land around the stadium, used to build the new road, but the "end is in sight" in terms of negotiating compensation.
  • Pre-Tax loss for the year was £149,471
  • "Cash at the bank" has risen, and now sits at £2,170,123
  • The number of employees is listed as an average for the year, it dropped from 238 to 185

Loss isn't horrendous, although its still a loss. Imagine it'll be far worse for this season which should see a fairly hefty wage bill cut next Summer regardless of where we end up come the end of the season. Compensation for the land purchase might help there but I've absolutely no clue how much that could come to?

Also the old farm next to the stadium has a planning application for it from GS Brown, not sure how connected to the club that is.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

I think thats our accounts for 18/19 out now.

Few things I've noticed that seem interesting, with the caveat I'm pretty bad at reading things the wrong way.

• Lionel Richie concert a "success" but they feel they could've made more from it, and they're actively trying to get more concerts held at the ground.
  • Club still haven't been paid for the CPO on the land around the stadium, used to build the new road, but the "end is in sight" in terms of negotiating compensation.
  • Pre-Tax loss for the year was £149,471
  • "Cash at the bank" has risen, and now sits at £2,170,123
  • The number of employees is listed as an average for the year, it dropped from 238 to 185

Loss isn't horrendous, although its still a loss. Imagine it'll be far worse for this season which should see a fairly hefty wage bill cut next Summer regardless of where we end up come the end of the season. Compensation for the land purchase might help there but I've absolutely no clue how much that could come to?

Also the old farm next to the stadium has a planning application for it from GS Brown, not sure how connected to the club that is.

Think the reduction of 50 staff was to address the loss. I assume it was youth players & a couple of squad players. Don't think we were overstaffed with admin or coaches.

Anyone who attended the ‘meet the chairman’ event earlier in the year will know it’s a miracle we are functioning as a club at all. The utilities alone would dent any budget.

I saw our club in a totally different light after that meeting, the chairman, directors didn’t dodge any questions regarding the finances or why some decisions were made... personally I’m forever moaning about the state of the car park, only to find out the club had been quoted £100,000 for a small strip of car park to be resurfaced, needless to say club have to prioritise... striker... defender etc.

Sometimes we can be too hard on our wee diddy club.

I’m proud that we are fiscally sound unlike some other clubs...

32 minutes ago, Wendy Saints said:

Anyone who attended the ‘meet the chairman’ event earlier in the year will know it’s a miracle we are functioning as a club at all. The utilities alone would dent any budget.

I saw our club in a totally different light after that meeting, the chairman, directors didn’t dodge any questions regarding the finances or why some decisions were made... personally I’m forever moaning about the state of the car park, only to find out the club had been quoted £100,000 for a small strip of car park to be resurfaced, needless to say club have to prioritise... striker... defender etc.

Sometimes we can be too hard on our wee diddy club.

I’m proud that we are fiscally sound unlike some other clubs...

True

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I dont think it's actually rising that much is it?

"Record breaking money" the headline, but that's in regards to the overall sum, which is spread over longer.

Probably wrong though.

I suppose if we’re not in the top league we won’t see much of it.

1 hour ago, Wendy Saints said:

... will know it’s a miracle we are functioning as a club at all.

Sounds like the chairman did a job on you anyway. The club is a business with a turnover of £4 million to £5 million when in the Premiership, not some two bit used bookshop on Crieff High Street that gets seven visitors a month. 

Of course it's a tough environment but this lucky to survive attitude does nobody any favours.

10 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Sounds like the chairman did a job on you anyway. The club is a business with a turnover of £4 million to £5 million when in the Premiership, not some two bit used bookshop on Crieff High Street that gets seven visitors a month. 

Of course it's a tough environment but this lucky to survive attitude does nobody any favours.

Not at all, but I think folk need a dose of realism... I would love if my team could flash the cheque book to buy themselves out of trouble, however 2 million in the bank, and annual loss of 150 thousand, what kind of player/players do you think you’ll get with what’s left over?

I take it your a season ticket holder? So you will see how few ‘bums’ are actually sitting on the cold plastic seats on a game day. I doubt the gate receipts would cover the electricity never mind make the club rich.

finishing around 5th or 4th (arguably we should of done given our start)  last year wipes out that loss.

How much has not qualifying for the League cup (and potentially a run to the semis) already cost us? how much finishing probably 10th or below going to cost us?  How much will probably being pumped out of the cup by a Midgie Millar Morton hat trick cost us?

All for the saving of a couple of more than likely a couple of hundred quid a week extra to secure that CB that then goes to one of our rivals.

8 hours ago, Wendy Saints said:

Not at all, but I think folk need a dose of realism... I would love if my team could flash the cheque book to buy themselves out of trouble, however 2 million in the bank, and annual loss of 150 thousand, what kind of player/players do you think you’ll get with what’s left over?

I think the footballing budget is a separate issue to your original point. With a turnover of £4-5 million, we aren't in a situation where we are lucky to survive. 

As I said, I accept the realities of trying to put a competitive team on the park will be hard but you suggested it's hard to put eleven players on the pitch at all. That's what I disagree with. 

The use of the playing budget has been poor for a while. Part of that is the manager but the whole structure at Saints needs an overhaul. I wouldn't expect the chairman to go massively over budget at any point but what structure is in place to help what is essentially one man (Tommy Wright) manage his budget effectively? 

8 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

I think the footballing budget is a separate issue to your original point. With a turnover of £4-5 million, we aren't in a situation where we are lucky to survive. 

As I said, I accept the realities of trying to put a competitive team on the park will be hard but you suggested it's hard to put eleven players on the pitch at all. That's what I disagree with. 

The use of the playing budget has been poor for a while. Part of that is the manager but the whole structure at Saints needs an overhaul. I wouldn't expect the chairman to go massively over budget at any point but what structure is in place to help what is essentially one man (Tommy Wright) manage his budget effectively? 

I don’t think we are far apart in wanting the best team we can have.. all you want as a fan is to watch your team playing well and being successful.. it’s getting to that point which seems to be the problem ... you perhaps understand the intricacies of the budget better than me and for that reason bow to your superior knowledge :-) 

1 hour ago, Radford 72 said:

This part of your post should help you win post of the week so far. Never a truer word said, they are all complicit in this but only Tommy will carry the can and get the stick which is wrong imo. 

He does deserve some by the way but he's not the only one.