Not a lot of people know that.

HOODLUM65

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reading f.c. were led to the Div  2 championship by player/manager Mark McGhee in 1994.

Later Managers included Tommy Burns and Steve Clarke.

Now nicknamed 'The Royals' , they were previously known as the 'Biscuitmen', due to the Huntley & Palmers biscuit factory based in the town.

(Cheesy I know):wink:

• 4 weeks later...

Strikers of my time.

I have been  blessed with seeing some good strikers in my time of following Saints.

(Maybe should be in Saints thread)

My earliest recollection of seeing Paddy Buckley must have been at the end of his Saints career .

Before my time , Saints were vying with Celtic to sign him from Boness United . 23 year old Buckley opted for Saints , tho' Celtic claimed to have signed him.

Aggrieved,  Celtic took their claim to the Football governing body , who ruled in Saints favour .

In August 1948 He made his scoring debut for Saints in a 3-0 win against Dundee United at Muirton park in front a 6000 crowd. (In the old B division)

He remains 4th in the all-time Saints list of goalscorers , netting 105 goals over 4 seasons and was the clubs leading scorer in each season.

In 1952 he was transferred to Aberdeen for £7,500 (don't know what that would relate to today), and helped the Dons to their first ever Scottish league championship in 1955.

Edited by HOODLUM65

It does show how much transfer fees have outstripped inflation. Impossible to say how much Saints could get for a Buckley now - possibly 2 million, to the EPL/Championship? But of course nowadays we could never have competed against Celtic for a player they really wanted in the first place - up until the early sixties, the wage cap for footballers meant all the medium to large clubs payed pretty much the same (officially at least). It’s also hard to remember that Celtic at that time were not a particularly successful team anyway (relative to what they are now) - they were in the middle of a spell when they won the league 3 times in 40 years.

Changed times.

2 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Strikers of my time.

I have been  blessed with seeing some good strikers in my time of following Saints.

My earliest recollection of seeing Paddy Buckley must have been at the end of his Saints career .

Before my time , Saints were vying with Celtic to sign him from Boness United . 23 year old Buckley opted for Saints , tho' Celtic claimed to have signed him.

Aggrieved,  Celtic took their claim to the Football governing body , who ruled in Saints favour .

In August 1948 He made his scoring debut for Saints in a 3-0 win against Dundee United at Muirton park in front a 6000 crowd. (In the old B division)

He remains 4th in the all-time Saints list of goalscorers , netting 105 goals over 4 seasons and was the clubs leading scorer in each season.

In 1952 he was transferred to Aberdeen for £7,500 (don't know what that would relate to today), and helped the Dons to their first ever Scottish league championship in 1955.

Take your word for it auld ane

On 3/4/2020 at 12:56 PM, HOODLUM65 said:

Reading f.c. were led to the Div  2 championship by player/manager Mark McGhee in 1994.

Later Managers included Tommy Burns and Steve Clarke.

Now nicknamed 'The Royals' , they were previously known as the 'Biscuitmen', due to the Huntley & Palmers biscuit factory based in the town.

(Cheesy I know):wink:

Jeez you must be bored.

8 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

It does show how much transfer fees have outstripped inflation. Impossible to say how much Saints could get for a Buckley now - possibly 2 million, to the EPL/Championship? But of course nowadays we could never have competed against Celtic for a player they really wanted in the first place - up until the early sixties, the wage cap for footballers meant all the medium to large clubs payed pretty much the same (officially at least). It’s also hard to remember that Celtic at that time were not a particularly successful team anyway (relative to what they are now) - they were in the middle of a spell when they won the league 3 times in 40 years.

Changed times.

Too true.

10 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Strikers of my time.

Great summary Hoodlum.  I was only 10 when he left.  I know he was fast but I don't really remember that, what I do remember was the excitement that used to build when he was straight through on goal.  He never seemed to miss but he probably did!

17 hours ago, south inch said:

Great summary Hoodlum.  I was only 10 when he left.  I know he was fast but I don't really remember that, what I do remember was the excitement that used to build when he was straight through on goal.  He never seemed to miss but he probably did!

You remember more about him than me , as I'm slightly younger (ha ha).

Must have been around the time my Pop started taking me to games . Remember my Pop raving about him and Willie Peat , who I don't remember seeing.

Buckley left at the end of 1951/52 season.

1952/53 was the season I remember players like Jimmy Woodcock and Roy McLaren.

This was the season that Johnny Patillo (who took over as Manager ) played for Saints.

By 1953/54 I was a regular attender ,  watching  Roy McLaren , Woodcock , Clark (or Montgomery ), Ewan , Riddick , Baird , Newlands , Steel , Rodger , Landles and Carr.

Hard to believe,  Saints had big crowds for the League Cup against Cowdenbeath (7,000) , Alloa (5,000) , Third Lanark (6,000) and B Div. fixture against Forfar (6,000) all at Muirton.

Great boyhood memories. 

3 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Must have been around the time my Pop started taking me to games . Remember my Pop raving about him and Willie Peat , who I don't remember seeing.

This was the season that Johnny Patillo (who took over as Manager ) played for Saints.

By 1953/54 I was a regular attender ,  watching  Roy McLaren , Woodcock , Clark (or Montgomery ), Ewan , Riddick , Baird , Newlands , Steel , Rodger , Landles and Carr.

Hard to believe,  Saints had big crowds for the League Cup against Cowdenbeath (7,000) , Alloa (5,000) , Third Lanark (6,000) and B Div. fixture against Forfar (6,000) all at Muirton.

Great boyhood memories. 

Would not try to compete with you in the memory stakes Hoodlum, you are damn good.  A few other names spring to mind, Mc Fadyen, Walker, Hodgson, Lachlan but maybe a wee bit later. Neither Ewan (Ernie?) or Archie Baird took prisoners that was for sure.  I remember a game when ian Rodger was sent off for going in hard on the keeper.  Least he thought he was sent off, the opposition defenders were trying to give him a doing and the ref. broke things up and told Rodger to get up the park.  Rodger thought he said off and left and the ref. did not notice.

Happy days - keep safe.

3 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Great boyhood memories. 

Now I wonder where you got that info from.;)