St Johnstone v Hamilton 26/10/19

tucker

I wasnt convinced that Hamilton played that well at all. However, that shouldnt take anything away from Saints who showed plenty of resilience. I raised an eyebrow when I saw that Spoony was starting - didnt take long for me to be utterly delighted that he was. Spoony and Kennedy and Tanser interplay down the left was outstanding throughout. While it was disappointing to lose two goals, I think they were both just 'one of those things'. We should have done better in blocking/clearing but Hamilton didnt really earn their goals through any pressure. Of course, Saints need to tighten up at the back but they were pretty comfortable for most of the game.

I was surprised at the substitutions - Wright was left on longer than I thought he would be. I figured that a straight swap for MOH or Swanson was pretty obvious when Wright started to fade. Taking May off was a bit strange but makes sense if he was carrying a knock. Anyway it all worked out in the end. My first game at McD this season - was a good one to pick.

Ralston seems to get himself well up the park with his runs down the right wing. Defending doesnt seem to be Tanser or Ralstons strength. We look great down the wings but I agree with others. Our wingers need to cut in more to get the ball to May. You saw what happened with the 2nd goal on Saturday when Spoony went more direct. Overall it was a great performance. At 2-2 everyone must have thought what more do we have to do. Be interesting to see if Hendry gets a chance up front. Assuming May is fit I would start the same team against Hearts and all going well give Hendry more minutes. Still think May needs a partner up front but who do you drop?

Edited by Rob

Just a wee extra thought, we joined the pay at the gate que about 10 to 3 with about 100 folk in front of us. 

Que was moving very slowly and quite a few disgruntled fans going to miss kick off.

Young JB got on his phone and ordered 2 tickets electronically while we were in the que. 2 mins later we were in the ground via turnstile 15 with our electronic tickets. 

I think saints could do with another cash entrance in the east stand until this new system settles down. 

1 hour ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Just a wee extra thought, we joined the pay at the gate que about 10 to 3 with about 100 folk in front of us. 

Que was moving very slowly and quite a few disgruntled fans going to miss kick off.

Young JB got on his phone and ordered 2 tickets electronically while we were in the que. 2 mins later we were in the ground via turnstile 15 with our electronic tickets. 

I think saints could do with another cash entrance in the east stand until this new system settles down. 

There are already more taking cash. We wandered past 100 disgruntled fans at 2.50 and went in the next entrance 20 yards up a bit. 

3 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

There are already more taking cash. We wandered past 100 disgruntled fans at 2.50 and went in the next entrance 20 yards up a bit. 

Stewards were telling folk only cash at first turnstile. Some folk had joined the cash que having been turned away at the other turnstiles. 

Ralston and Tanser are effectively wing backs, which negates the need for wingers. Plus wingers don’t suit May’s style of playing. I think we need to move to a diamond midfield and play more through the middle:

Muzz      McCann

Wright.                              Wotherspoon

Kennedy

May                 

When we’re ahead, or looking to see out the match, Holt can come on for Kennedy and drop deeper. This relies on Muzz and McCann protecting the defence much more than they have been.

We’re in desperate need of a centre back, and it retrospect (although it didn’t seem like it at the time), Holt is a luxury we don’t need. I wonder if Hendry is available on loan from Celtic?

9 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Maybe people will learn quicker when they realise there is a faster system? Although I can bet no one mentioned buying the ticket online instead of waiting in the queue?

10 hours ago, Papa Jack said:

Next one up definitely  took cash. 

Saints could do with clarifying this, postie who used to run the barossa bus came back from other turnstiles ranting and raving waving his money in the air as they would not take it. 

Could do with clarity from saints before tomorrow night as would expect more cash sales tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Maybe people will learn quicker when they realise there is a faster system? Although I can bet no one mentioned buying the ticket online instead of waiting in the queue?

J B had bought electronic ticket previously so knew what to do. Didnt  get electronic ticket on Saturday as I was coming down the a9 and we planned to go in together, thought we would just pay cash in case I was delayed. 

Took him a couple of minutes to book in which time the pay que had only moved about 5 yards. 

Not sure I could have done it so quickly, probably still be standing outside now fiddling about with my phone. 

12 minutes ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

They could sell them at the souvenir shop but would have to sell for all stands.

Souvenir shop wouldn't work as lacks security. The furthest away turnstiles in the east were not in operation on Saturday. Just open them and let Stewards know there are cash gates at either end of the East stand. 

Electronic is the way forward but it will take time. 

15 hours ago, Rob said:

Ralston seems to get himself well up the park with his runs down the right wing. Defending doesnt seem to be Tanser or Ralstons strength. We look great down the wings but I agree with others. Our wingers need to cut in more to get the ball to May. You saw what happened with the 2nd goal on Saturday when Spoony went more direct. Overall it was a great performance. At 2-2 everyone must have thought what more do we have to do. Be interesting to see if Hendry gets a chance up front. Assuming May is fit I would start the same team against Hearts and all going well give Hendry more minutes. Still think May needs a partner up front but who do you drop?

Give the ball to May? They did that and he lost it stupidly for Hamiltons first goal. The form he was in on Saturday reminded me of Chris Kane. 

30 minutes ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Give the ball to May? They did that and he lost it stupidly for Hamiltons first goal. The form he was in on Saturday reminded me of Chris Kane. 

Yeah, the May of old would have put his laces through it but he took a touch got closed down & should have got at least a corner but lost it & the rest is history.

Hopefully he will get his sharpness back & think we have to persist with him but until then Tommy has to be prepared to sub him earlier if as on Saturday he is contributing little.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

I went to the middle turnstile in the East and know they accept season tickets, online tickets and cash all at the same gate. When paid cash they simply scanned a ticket they had then handed it to the cash paying customer 

Yeah, what was that all about? Normally, you just pay cash and they open the turnstile. I am not surprised there were queues when they had to scan and distribute tickets too - I assume that this is for some sort of auditing purposes.

I was completely unaware of the option of electronic tickets.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

I went to the middle turnstile in the East and know they accept season tickets, online tickets and cash all at the same gate. When paid cash they simply scanned a ticket they had then handed it to the cash paying customer 

I paid cash at the first East turnstile and got one of these scanned tickets.  I thought the idea was to make sure I was aware of the warnings on the back about booze, fireworks, smoke bombs etc.  Maybe I just looked a doubtful character!

40 minutes ago, Dooj said:

Yeah, what was that all about? Normally, you just pay cash and they open the turnstile. I am not surprised there were queues when they had to scan and distribute tickets too - I assume that this is for some sort of auditing purposes.

I was completely unaware of the option of electronic tickets.

Yeah, this is causing queues at the west stand turnstiles too. Paying customers are paying cash at the gate and tickets are scanned and then handed over.

I'm not aware of a St.Johnstone app but this would surely be the way to go so fans could just download a ticket on the day their going to the game.

7 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

When you pay at the gate now do you get given a seat number? If not, how do you know you're not sitting in a seat that someone has booked online?

Good question. Maybe ticket just guarantees you a seat.

Maybe someone who has a ticket can enlighten us.