St Johnstone v Hearts 30/10/19

tucker

12 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Great win. Thankfully the ref was not conned by the battering ram diving & fouling. He should have been booked in the first half for 3 fouls in 5 mins. McLean & Ichpeezu we're throwing their arms about.

Anyway we have to get Ali signed up. There can't be many better midfielder  in Scotland.

Tommy finally got the formation right. Hopefully not too many injuries to change it.

Whole defence were immense tonight . The more they play together the better they will be.

Careful cagey that is very nearly a positive post:eek:

After the St Mirren game I started to believe that we were the shite team in the league this season, as I couldnt see any others.

I no longer think that.

Hearts were absolutely shite, the end of the match was tense but that was purely down to being a fan, as Hearts didnt test Clark at all for the full match. An absolute travesty if we hadnt won that match.

The referee is one of the worst I've ever seen. How the keeper got away with blatantly handling outside his box I'll never know.

11 hours ago, Wendy Saints said:

This game will definitely be a different kettle of fish altogether.

As poor as Hearts have been, underestimate them at your peril. 

They are a physical side and that is something we are not! The one physical player we do have literally gets penalised every week, merited or not. Couple that with the general lack of protection our team get and you can see it’s a recipe for defeat! 

I even noticed in a match report recently the writer stated ‘Davidson received his customary booking’ 

Apologies for the slight lack of optimism in this post!!

Hoping for the best expecting the worst!!

10 hours ago, Dutch Saint said:

Wait and see how the Tinkerman shuffles his pack. Will last weekends goalscorers be on the bench?

So....

In some ways that was a better performance than on Saturday. There was a discipline to our shape and dare I say it looked like an understanding between our players, in particular our defence.

Davidson was superb tonight and I thought he showed a discipline in his play that I've often criticised him for lacking. McCann continues to impress- he is so calm in possession for such a young, inexperienced lad. He rarely wastes a pass and for a smaller, lighter player he doesn't half win possession back alot. The lad for Hearts (no 7) was a decent player and he could dominate quite a few midfielders in this league but our lads just ended up too good for him tonight.

Kerr and Duffy managed very well with their strike force.... Call him a carthorse all you want, but that big lad will cause problems for any centre-back that doesn't fancy a physical battle.

Wright looked like he's picking up with game time and Spoony had a good game, giving Tanser plenty of protection and keeping their talented full-back relatively quiet.

Only small gripe is I feel Matty's final ball and choice of pass could be better. A couple times May made some smart movement and Kennedy delayed the pass, went himself or chose a different option.

What a difference two games make. Just what we needed. Biggest positive is it looks like we may have found our best starting XI and I'm pretty shocked that O Halloran and Holt aren't in it for now.

Have to say the ref was the poorest I have seen. 

Let hearts big striker away with 5 or 6 fouls in the first 15 minutes. The word cart horse springs to mind when describing him. 

As for Macca he is one moaning greeting faced erse. 

Great win but still a long way to go until the end of the season. 

Tough and tousy it may have been but our defence stood up to Hearts strongarm (yes arm) tactics and kept a clean sheet.

McCann and Davidson were immense. 

When Hearts Plan A failed  (high punt up the middle), master tactician Levein, (how did he ever get the Scotland job?) couldn't come up with a Plan B .

As said the Ref . was whyte and should have took action against Ikpeazu in the first half for grappling and fouling. How it took till the 80th minute for him to get a yellow only the Ref. can explain.

Enough  about silky Hearts, Saints thorough deserved the win, albeit from an own goal .

McCann was unlucky when robbing an opponent and appeared clean through only for the ball to run away from him , allowing the keeper to race out and collect.

A rousing finish fully backed by cheering fans.

C.o.y.s. onwards and upwards 

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Not to disappoint MS. Spoony was back to normal but was never going to match his Accies performance. May has a long way to go to convince me he is offering us much & would have subbed him earlier.

Have to agree regarding May. We are definitely not playing to his strengths which doesn’t help but he looks a bit lost out there. Too much running, drifting wide(very wide) and allowing Kennedy and Drey to be the talismen when he should be flexing his muscles and bossing defences.

He looked lost at Aberdeen as well but I had hoped that the homecoming to a club where he is adored would strike a chord with him.

I remain hopeful that he will turn it around and go on a scoring streak!!

First quarter done, 10 points.  Forgetful for most of the season in quite possibly the hardest start to a season any Scottish club has ever faced.

Being bottom of table nearly every week, patience was wearing thin.  Players and management getting slated.  Rightly so as it was shyte at times.

BANG, couple of hard fought wins and fans right behind the team, and surely we are all looking up.  Glad to see there is fight in our last 2 games.

I do think we are just as good or bad as any team outside the old firm on any day, so looking forward to Quarter 2.  How my thoughts have flipped in just a week.

COYS!

20191031_125259.jpg

Edited by Dave H

15 hours ago, belfastsaintee said:

Top 6?

I honestly don't see why not. With the state Hearts and Hibs are in it makes it potentially the most open race for top 6 since the days when the Edinburgh sides and Sevco were down in the Championship. Everyone else is taking points off each other and it says a lot that, despite the start we've had to our season, all it's taken is a couple of wins to put us three points off 6th place. That goal difference might yet turn out to be an absolute killer though. 

11 minutes ago, dunblanemike said:

The trend of clubs sacking manager after losing to St J continues.....that’s quite a few now.

I was just going to post that. It’s not really a complement, though, is it? “We didn’t mind the goalless draw with Annan Athletic, but losing to St Johnstone?? Get yer coat”.

39 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I was just going to post that. It’s not really a complement, though, is it? “We didn’t mind the goalless draw with Annan Athletic, but losing to St Johnstone?? Get yer coat”.

That's it. The disgrace of getting beat from wee St Johnstone.

It would be interesting to see how many managers hit the dust at McDiarmid.

The final indignity being beaten by St Johnstone! Are we really held in such low regard ... the stats say yes... don’t have total recall but Liam Brady got the sack after Saints beat Celtic at McD in the 90’s ... Paul Le Guen, Jackie McNamara, Craig Levein... I’m sure somebody more on the ball will be able to fill in all the blanks...

Gloriously underestimated since 1884/1885 ;-)