St Johnstone v Hearts 30/10/19

tucker

Good result. One of the pleasing aspects was the determination from the team and battling for every ball. A lot more fight than Hearts had who looked very poor and the persistent fouling was ridiculous. Whole team did well. Davidson played very well. McCann as well. Thought Tanser was good and is actually a pretty decent winger. May worked hard pressing their defenders but link up with wingers not really working. Thoroughly deserved the win.

Bit of a shambles outside the ground just before kick off. Couple of hundred stuck outside when game started. Not enough gates open. I probably should have got to the ground earlier but like a lot I wasnt long home from work.

Are they really penny pinching that much that they cant afford to put more turnstiles on. I have no knowledge of this but do the workers in the turnstiles do other jobs at the ground on matchday etc. I would have thought its probably the kind of job they would get volunteers for assuming they dont have to be there much after kick off.

Hearts had 1 tactic, and we’d figured that out in the first minute. Muzz was MotM, but McCann was close behind. Defence looked much more solid, didn’t give them any time on the ball. We looked much more mature, with a clearer sense of tactics.

Our set-pieces are still poor (but improved significantly when Craig came on), but we sorted out our balls into the box - no longer high but more whipped crosses which were more dangerous. 
May is worryingly poor. He was offside almost every time he touched the ball, and offered us nothing - Chris Kane with a pony tail. I feel that it’s like we’ve been playing without a striker all season. Tanser was excellent, as was the whole back 4 actually.

Kennedy remains the most overrated player in the team. He just runs with it until it goes out of play or he gives it away, never looks for the pass. A few times this was almost fatal. He might have one or two moments of brilliance every game, but he needs to involve May much more and look for the wing backs that are overlapping. Again, both he and May kept going too wide. He is not suited to playing just behind May, as he’s more of a classic winger, I would look to swap him with Wotherspoon.

A good win though - we battled for it, and got some luck with the goal. A more traditional Saints performance: good defensive set up, battling for every ball, pressure on the opposition, and a result at the end of it!

1 hour ago, Linky said:

May is worryingly poor.

Worth watching the goal back, as it's his first time, reverse pass, to Muzz that brings about the corner.

Can we give May more than 4 games before we write him off pls? And can we give him and Kennedy more than 120 minutes as a partnership before we start saying they dont work and they're both shite?

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Bit of a shambles outside the ground just before kick off. Couple of hundred stuck outside when game started. Not enough gates open. I probably should have got to the ground earlier but like a lot I wasnt long home from work.

Are they really penny pinching that much that they cant afford to put more turnstiles on. I have no knowledge of this but do the workers in the turnstiles do other jobs at the ground on matchday etc. I would have thought its probably the kind of job they would get volunteers for assuming they dont have to be there much after kick off.

Were you paying cash, online ticket or season ticket?

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Were you paying cash, online ticket or season ticket?

Cash. Tried to get an online ticket on my phone earlier when I realised I was going to be home early enough to go but found the website a bit rubbish on my phone. But to be honest there was a lot of season ticket holders complaining in the other queues because they were as equally long.

May and Kennedy impressed me wirh the high press all game. Better two pressing than one. Nullified any time on the ball for Hearts defenders, ultimately leading to a long ball or passing sideways to defender or back to keeper.   If it were not for their efforts it could have had Hearts finding more forward passes wide or through midfield.  Clearly a thankless task they played.

2 wins in 2 games....   could you not have waited till we lose again before posting flaws that you see.

15 hours ago, Linky said:

Kennedy remains the most overrated player in the team. He just runs with it until it goes out of play or he gives it away, never looks for the pass. A few times this was almost fatal.

You are entitled to your opinion like everyone else obviously.  But I read that and think it's unbelievable. 

Kennedy has been our best attacking player over the past 12 months by a long way. He makes things happen and is a constant thorn in the side for opposition defenders. Our top scorer last season and joint top this one. Regularly puts good deliveries into the box.

He does give the ball away at times, but he's an attacking player taking a gamble on beating players, it's not always going to come off for him. The thing is he does it in the right areas, the final third. It's not as if he's trying to beat players and losing it in our own half.

If we're still struggling in January, he will be the first player other teams try to sign on a PCA.

I actually thought Kane played well when he came on,he actually won headers Heald the ball up bringing others into the game,I know strikers are meant to score goals but Kane does the grafting stuff reall well,May never won any header's until he came on.I would like to see Kane and May see how that's goes

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

You are entitled to your opinion like everyone else obviously.  But I read that and think it's unbelievable. 

Kennedy has been our best attacking player over the past 12 months by a long way. He makes things happen and is a constant thorn in the side for opposition defenders. Our top scorer last season and joint top this one. Regularly puts good deliveries into the box.

He does give the ball away at times, but he's an attacking player taking a gamble on beating players, it's not always going to come off for him. The thing is he does it in the right areas, the final third. It's not as if he's trying to beat players and losing it in our own half.

If we're still struggling in January, he will be the first player other teams try to sign on a PCA.

100%. Every word. Probably should have had contract extended in the summer.

15 minutes ago, tucker said:

I actually thought Kane played well when he came on,he actually won headers Heald the ball up bringing others into the game,I know strikers are meant to score goals but Kane does the grafting stuff reall well,May never won any header's until he came on.I would like to see Kane and May see how that's goes

It actually looks like May just jumps to make it look like he was trying to head it. There doesn't look like much conviction & the ball usually goes 1 foot over his head.

27 minutes ago, tucker said:

Been saying this forever. Kane can handle himself and put it about among central defenders.

I think they key to Kane is knowing when to use him.

Defending a lead and needing a striker to come on, hold the ball up and harry defenders, and hes our best striker at it. If we're chasing a goal I'd be happier to see Hendry come on.

May remains our best striker though, him not winning headers against the likes of Berra doesnt change that.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I’ve said elsewhere that I think he’s a great player, and I’m sure he will get snapped up by another team soon. As I said, he has moments of brilliance, which are beyond the dreams of most non OF players. However, he is a winger, and is better suited to the left hand side than through the middle in my opinion. You’re right, he puts good deliveries into the box - but May isn’t the sort of striker that is heading in crosses, so they are wasted. May relies on passes to run on to and Kennedy doesn’t provide that.

On paper, Kennedy is the best player in the team. But, with the way we play, Wright & Wotherspoon are making more of an impact going forward,

16 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Worth watching the goal back, as it's his first time, reverse pass, to Muzz that brings about the corner.

Can we give May more than 4 games before we write him off pls? And can we give him and Kennedy more than 120 minutes as a partnership before we start saying they dont work and they're both shite?

Not writing him off, but believe we need to play to his strengths. The team needs to be built around his style of play.

1 hour ago, Linky said:

On paper, Kennedy is the best player in the team. But, with the way we play, Wright & Wotherspoon are making more of an impact going forward,

And you don't think that our(debatable) best player helps in any way to how they've been playing?

He scores goals, occupies defenders, pulls them out of position creating space for others as well as having decent delivery of crosses. If he can build a partnership with Stevie, which obviously takes time and also takes two, then they will both benefit.