Ali McCann

bankfoot saint

• 2 weeks later...

I actually thought Saturday was possibly his quietest game since breaking into the team. There wasn't much football being played and he was tasked with the holding role, where I think you lose a bit from him. Can barely remember him getting his foot on the ball. 

That's not a huge criticism but if the manager, as he's stated, is still trying to establish the best role for him, I think it's further forward. But then he's probably more suited to playing deeper than Davidson or Holt.

Having four decent options in the centre of the park - add in Liam Craig - is no bad thing and the as much as you want to see McCann progress, the team doing so must always come first. 

On 12/15/2019 at 10:40 AM, dublin saint said:

excellent again yesterday -  Scotland’s loss 

Did a lot of the dirty work that often goes unseen, was constantly getting a foot in when the hertzs were in possession, maybe not so much on the ball as normal, but thought played a big part in breaking up play, not that they were any use when they did have the ball.

14 hours ago, crieffsaintandy said:

... not that they were any use when they did have the ball.

I thought Liam Craig gave a masterclass in the role at Rugby Park, not sure he made a tackle the whole match but was always in the right position to make an interception or pick up a loose ball. His experience really told and at this stage of his career, it's a job that really suits him. 

McCann is better than being restricted to that area of the pitch though. I think it'll be disappointing if we see him back there long-term, although not sure how TW fits the three that played on Saturday in otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

I thought Liam Craig gave a masterclass in the role at Rugby Park, not sure he made a tackle the whole match but was always in the right position to make an interception or pick up a loose ball. His experience really told and at this stage of his career, it's a job that really suits him. 

McCann is better than being restricted to that area of the pitch though. I think it'll be disappointing if we see him back there long-term, although not sure how TW fits the three that played on Saturday in otherwise. 

Was talking about hearts when they did have the ball, but agree Craig was excellent at Killie and thought very streetwise when he came at the end on Saturday drawing fouls and breaking the play up.

Mccann has been excellent and and another half season starting games can be only good for his development and saints future.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Looks like there is no place in the Northern Ireland squad for Ali: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53889094

To be fair, based on this season so far, he's not worthy of a place.

Crossed fingers though, that he's not included as he's had a change of heart and wants to play for Scotland. 

2 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

To be fair, based on this season so far, he's not worthy of a place.

Crossed fingers though, that he's not included as he's had a change of heart and wants to play for Scotland. 

Wonder if it is the player or the system but he hasn't seemed the same as last season thus far. He was getting plenty of mentions for their squad when the season was ended early but then came the change of manager.

Albeit in a different position, Jordan Jones is in the NI squad and he hasn't played for quite some time if I remember correctly.