Worst Saints Team Ever

Linky

What's the worst ever Saints team? Who are the worst players to pull on a Saints shirt? Can't be someone who just played 4 or 5 games, they must've been allowed a decent run.

I'd go for 433.

Craig Samson

Keith Watson      Rudi Vata   Jordan Tait   Kevin Fotheringham

Simon Donnelly    Simon Mensing  Gavin Swankie

John Sutton   Michael Moore  Sam Parkin

1 minute ago, tucker said:

Thought Keith Watson was unlucky with injuries to be honest,and Simon Mensing was a decent championship player for us

Like tucker I’m not sure about Keith Watson or Simon Mensing.

Who was the ex-Aberdeen player, Paul Bernard? What about David Hannah? Or possibly Derek McInnes? Tbf there are still much worse than them.

12 hours ago, Linky said:

Keith Watson     Simon Mensing

It is good to stimulate debate but you are surely having a laugh?

Keith Watson was great when he could play but was ravaged by injury.

Simon Mensing was absolutely brilliant at what we needed, never seen a midfield as tough as him and Martin Hardie. Some great cup runs with those two.

Derek Holmes was an absolute carthorse.

Edited by garydavidson

5 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Including Simon Mensing in a worst-ever team is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen on here. He was a cracking player for us at the time. I don't think Sam Parkin or Kevin Fotheringham were all that bad either.

Parkin was incredible earlier on in his career in England. I was never quite sure why it didn’t work out for him at Saints. He was more a disappointment than anything else. Iwelumo, Riordan & Beattie didn’t play enough games to be included.

5 minutes ago, Linky said:

Mensing was tough, but not much more. I forgot Bernard though, I would swap him in.

That's not how I remember Mensing at all. He was versatile, hard-working and used the ball well. He was an important part of what was briefly a very good Saints team. Bernard was definitely plopsy though. :)

Quite hard to do this when you can't choose players who only played four or five times. I've probably forgotten loads of obvious ones but here goes...

Craig Samson

Mark Lynch - Rudi Vata - John McClelland - Jordan Tait

Simon Donnelly - Paul Bernard - Mark Reilly - Robert Sloan

Derek Holmes - Michael Moore

Manager: Billy Stark

11 hours ago, HertsAgain said:

The names mentioned don't go back far enough in time. Thank god some folk missed the period when Ian Gibson was Saints manager...

Funny enough was talking about Ian Gibson today , I'm involved in a football memories group (through my work) and have an old saint's scout called Bill Walker involved in this. He suffers from early dementia but his recollection of his scouting days with saints gives me a laugh. Bill told me today he actually left saints because of Gibson, when Gibson got the player/manager gig, he told Bill that he had a good mate who was a scout at Dundee Utd and was interested in bringing him to Saints. Bill told him tae ram it and quit there and then, still recalls Gibson was as crap a manager as he was a player ... :D

(Bill says the best player he ever got to sign for saints was the great Don McVicar) 

Edited by chips

To be fair to Gibby his appointment as manager was an absolute hospital pass. We'd just gone part time, got rid of half the players and had no budget. Muirton was falling apart literally, only the South stand was usable after the Bradford fire safety restrictions and our saviour Geoff was not yet in sight. Alex Ferguson couldn't have done much better with Saints in that 86-88 ish period.

So if you want the worst Saints team ever, you could probably just pick one of the sides we put out when we were in the bottom division.

19 minutes ago, sleepless said:

So if you want the worst Saints team ever, you could probably just pick one of the sides we put out when we were in the bottom division.

Nope, not for me. We were still in that bottom division when Totten took over. I personally loved that period for Saints, my uncle kept taking me to Tannadice to try and entice me but I preferred the barren scapes of Muirton.