Sign in to follow this  
Ginger Bakers rebel army

Would 14 team top division benefit Saints?

19 hours ago, TheMarkChristie said:

2 Leagues of 20 then split out into Highland League and Lowland League below that.

There are enough full times to sustain a 20 team league and the top 5 of the next division could be full time as well

I don't think that would work in Scotland. The gulf in standard between top and bottom would be huge (so the OF would dish out even bigger hammerings than they do already), there'd be a big increase in meaningless mid-season games (especially with Scotland's lack of European places), and the reduction in Old Firm games would make it a non-starter. I also think you'd have to make big allowances for smaller clubs with poor facilities, small grounds and part-time squads being allowed into the top flight, because if you go 20 clubs down you'll start to have clubs like Arbroath, Alloa, East Fife, Montrose etc playing in the Premier League.

20 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I don't think that would work in Scotland. The gulf in standard between top and bottom would be huge (so the OF would dish out even bigger hammerings than they do already), there'd be a big increase in meaningless mid-season games (especially with Scotland's lack of European places), and the reduction in Old Firm games would make it a non-starter. I also think you'd have to make big allowances for smaller clubs with poor facilities, small grounds and part-time squads being allowed into the top flight, because if you go 20 clubs down you'll start to have clubs like Arbroath, Alloa, East Fife, Montrose etc playing in the Premier League.

What’s wrong with Arbroath, etc? Montrose have already shown they can compete with us :)