Fair City unity

Ginger Bakers rebel army

Seems like we could do with something happening to attract the FCU type age group back to MCD Park. 

Do the FCU still exist? 

I think there was some sort of invitation to them to talk about coming back sometime after their section was shut in 2017 but don't know what happened if anything. 

Our away support continues to be vocal but we could do with a couple of hundred loons signing there heads off at home. 

What can be done to improve the atmosphere at home games. 

Aberdeen launched the red shed yesterday and had over 1500 take part in creating an away atmosphere at home. 

Aberdeen admitted they hadn't been listening to fans so are now trialling this at Cup games with the possibility of making it permanent at league games next season. 

Should saints try something similar? 

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

You still dont see the "coincidence" in the majority of the FCU vanishing the exact same season Rangers win promotion to the top flight?

We had our season ticket seats in the red section not far from the FCU. Some of those guys had been going to saints games for years I am sure the majority of the FCU would have been saints fan's. 

22 minutes ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

We had our season ticket seats in the red section not far from the FCU. Some of those guys had been going to saints games for years I am sure the majority of the FCU would have been saints fan's. 

I dont doubt some of them are/were Saints fans.

I do doubt that majority weren't just kids who couldnt support a lower tier side who hid behind Saints until Rangers made it to the top flight.

21 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

It's an absolute fact that the majority of the young ones were Sevco fans. 

They were also starting to cause unnecessary trouble. Particularly the away games.

Not a miss IMO.

Just as well it's not the Sixties then, Saints singing section and trouble during and after the game, and at away games.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

You still dont see the "coincidence" in the majority of the FCU vanishing the exact same season Rangers win promotion to the top flight?

I know a lot of them, and they were Perth guys all together, loyal to each other, that’s what mattered, you won’t understand that, as you’ve no pals , hth 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I dont doubt some of them are/were Saints fans.

I do doubt that majority weren't just kids who couldnt support a lower tier side who hid behind Saints until Rangers made it to the top flight.

I was a Rangers fan as a kid. All my family were CB’s. Do you know what made me switch allegiances? Actually going to games regularly aged 7-8 with my Grandad. 

There’s no reason that most of these boys couldn’t have switched allegiances if they hadn’t been hounded out of the club. 

It's not just the FCU that worries me, I am concerned that there's a lack of fans of a similar age to the FCU guys at MCD. 

I'm sure the power of communication on social media will have something to do with this. 

Saints need to come up with initiatives to attract fans of all age groups. 

I think McDiarmid in general can be soulless at the best of times... a ‘young’ band would be good to generate some atmosphere... if young folk can’t be encouraged to come along our club is doomed...

You see it with golf clubs, no junior sections, so no youth coming through to replace the older members when they leave.. you can witness the same thing happening at our club, unfortunately a fan lost is normally lost forever... maybe new CEO will have the answer? Hope so

Aye....FAIR CITY UNITY  are a massive miss. The handling of situations by club did appear rather dictatorial on the face of it.   Very much doubt they were Sevconians tbh.

Club does a lot in primary schools at the moment to try and recruit ,  but not sure how much is done to connect with youth at the High, Grammar, Academy and St John's. 

Basically this is about selling a product to children. Marketing types long ago realised that it’s very often not the children who make the decision to buy, because they don’t have any money. What you actually have to do, at least in part, is sell the product to their parents who buy the product for them, or give them the money.  So you will routinely see, for example, children’s snacks being marketed on price or health benefits or not filling them between meals, which children don’t actually give a stuff about. 

How does this translate to football? 

1 hour ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Basically this is about selling a product to children. Marketing types long ago realised that it’s very often not the children who make the decision to buy, because they don’t have any money. What you actually have to do, at least in part, is sell the product to their parents who buy the product for them, or give them the money.  So you will routinely see, for example, children’s snacks being marketed on price or health benefits or not filling them between meals, which children don’t actually give a stuff about. 

How does this translate to football? 

I would shut the family stand for a start off, go back to the old way, access free for kids being lifted over with a full paying adult. 

The kids will feel much more part of things in the east or mainstands and more likely to want to come back. 

12 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

Aye....FAIR CITY UNITY  are a massive miss. The handling of situations by club did appear rather dictatorial on the face of it.   Very much doubt they were Sevconians tbh.

Remind me what it was the club did?

20 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

...sometime after their section was shut...

FCU should be in charge of the media at the club as the sure pulled the wool over the eyes of Saints fans! 

Edited by garydavidson

21 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

So why did they stop? Genuine question. I see a lot of hints on here from time to time about why they disappeared, but no one ever seems to just come out and explain it. From the outside looking in, all it looks like is the bizarre canonisation of a bunch of kids who can't be arsed to support their team any more.

I agree that the atmosphere at McDiarmid is terrible, but that seems to be something that is Scotland-wide. Whenever I've been to any games abroad, fans sing and chant and bring colourful displays to add to the atmosphere. In Scotland, everyone pretty much sits silently on their hands (me included, of course). I remember a few years ago watching Saints play in front of a massive Hearts crowd at Murrayfield, but there was pin-drop silence to the point that you could hear everything the players were shouting to each other for the whole match. I'm not sure why it's like that in Scotland - is it lack of alcohol?

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

So why did they stop? Genuine question. I see a lot of hints on here from time to time about why they disappeared, but no one ever seems to just come out and explain it. From the outside looking in, all it looks like is the bizarre canonisation of a bunch of kids who can't be arsed to support their team any more.

I agree that the atmosphere at McDiarmid is terrible, but that seems to be something that is Scotland-wide. Whenever I've been to any games abroad, fans sing and chant and bring colourful displays to add to the atmosphere. In Scotland, everyone pretty much sits silently on their hands (me included, of course). I remember a few years ago watching Saints play in front of a massive Hearts crowd at Murrayfield, but there was pin-drop silence to the point that you could hear everything the players were shouting to each other for the whole match. I'm not sure why it's like that in Scotland - is it lack of alcohol?

The only experience I have of football abroad is Brazil and Spain. In both those countries fans seems to spend most of the time talking to each other and enjoying the sunshine. They only look towards the pitch if a goal is about to be scored. The place is noisy, but only because everyone is chatting about things nothing to do with the match. That said, it seemed like everyone brought the whole family along (this was at the Nou Camp & Maracana, might be different elsewhere).

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

It’s a combination of enforced sitting down, and being feckin freezing I think. Moving an inch means you lose the thin layer of warm air under one of your coats.

More importantly, huge, huge kudos to you for using the word “canonisation” on a footy forum - and getting away with it. Almost.

Some of the FCU were advised to stay away by the police, they had been a bit naughty and were known to the police, on the other hand they were also getting unjustly harassed at some away games, I've seen 15 police containing 8 FCU members. Nanny state in full effect. 

10 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Remind me what it was the club did?

FCU should be in charge of the media at the club as the sure pulled the wool over the eyes of Saints fans! 

You know everything do you  ?

Privy too everything are you ?

why so negative, are you jealous ?