Fair City unity

Ginger Bakers rebel army

The little dudes are gone,

so it’s all academic.

i just never got  the hatred and negativity towards a young group that created a great crack going to games for young fans.

thats unless your jealous as fuq of folk enjoying themselves.

4 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Some of the FCU were advised to stay away by the police, they had been a bit naughty and were known to the police, on the other hand they were also getting unjustly harassed at some away games, I've seen 15 police containing 8 FCU members. Nanny state in full effect. 

Yep.

23 hours ago, Linky said:

The only experience I have of football abroad is Brazil and Spain. In both those countries fans seems to spend most of the time talking to each other and enjoying the sunshine. They only look towards the pitch if a goal is about to be scored. The place is noisy, but only because everyone is chatting about things nothing to do with the match. That said, it seemed like everyone brought the whole family along (this was at the Nou Camp & Maracana, might be different elsewhere).

I spent a couple of months in Spain last winter. 

Went to 2 games at Elche, Spanish 2nd tier, they have been in the top tear but hit some financial snags. 

Stadium was built for the world Cup, holds around 35,000 and is open air. 

Attendance at the games I went too was around 12000 including a few hundred away fans. 

They have an ultras group, a couple of hundred at most and they bang the drum and sign a lot. 

As for the rest of the stadium, not a lot going on atmosphere wise. 

The big difference was the cost, we got picked up by coach in bennimar about half hour drive to elche, the coach was mainly ex pats and arranged by an ex pat. 

The coach and the ticket for the game was just 20 euros. 

The football wasn't any better than we watch at saints but the cost was much more attractive. 

Yes, I've heard German football is much cheaper, and it means that the attendances are much higher.

Ironically, Brazilian football was incredibly boring. No one really tackles or closes other players down, they just pass it into the goal, and the pace of the game is really slow. The technique of the players is amazing, but they barely break into a jog, as it's just sedately passed around the pitch. This was Flamengo against a lower league team, so might be different with two top-flight teams.

21 hours ago, Linky said:

Yes, I've heard German football is much cheaper, and it means that the attendances are much higher.

I've been to a few games in Germany and the prices weren't actually as good as I was expecting - 27 euros to see Hertha Berlin in the top division, and 16 euros for standing tickets to see Union Berlin in the second-top division (and this was five years ago so they're probably a good bit higher now). The atmosphere at Union Berlin was insane (packed on all four sides of the ground, with three of those sides terraced, and pretty much everyone singing throughout) - but the standard of football was pretty poor.

A few years back I went to Benfica - it was only around 10 euros to get in and the atmosphere was fantastic, with everyone singing and making a noise despite the stadium being an all-seater. The football itself was also great to watch.

One thing all of these places had is people down the front orchestrating what the crowd do - which all seems a bit artificial to me, but it does seem to work. Not sure if it would work in Scotland though. I'm not sure I'd be on board with some rando down the front of the East Stand trying to get everyone to sing along.

2 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I've been to a few games in Germany and the prices weren't actually as good as I was expecting - 27 euros to see Hertha Berlin in the top division, and 16 euros for standing tickets to see Union Berlin in the second-top division (and this was five years ago so they're probably a good bit higher now). The atmosphere at Union Berlin was insane (packed on all four sides of the ground, with three of those sides terraced, and pretty much everyone singing throughout) - but the standard of football was pretty poor.

A few years back I went to Benfica - it was only around 10 euros to get in and the atmosphere was fantastic, with everyone singing and making a noise despite the stadium being an all-seater. The football itself was also great to watch.

One thing all of these places had is people down the front orchestrating what the crowd do - which all seems a bit artificial to me, but it does seem to work. Not sure if it would work in Scotland though. I'm not sure I'd be on board with some rando down the front of the East Stand trying to get everyone to sing along.

We did it with a trumpet at the cup final and it sparked a magic moment. 

23 hours ago, Linky said:

Ironically, Brazilian football was incredibly boring. No one really tackles or closes other players down, they just pass it into the goal, and the pace of the game is really slow. The technique of the players is amazing, but they barely break into a jog, as it's just sedately passed around the pitch. This was Flamengo against a lower league team, so might be different with two top-flight teams.

120 euros for a St to see Borussia Dortmund 

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

The East Stand linesman usually manages to rile everyone up at once! 

On 1/20/2020 at 11:36 AM, garydavidson said:

Remind me what it was the club did?

FCU should be in charge of the media at the club as the sure pulled the wool over the eyes of Saints fans! 

Nobody is claiming they were perfect,  but you can guarantee they’re no worse than any other club’s group of young fans that congregate together on a Saturday. 

Every other club has managed to keep their young support attending matches. 

25 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Nobody is claiming they were perfect,  but you can guarantee they’re no worse than any other club’s group of young fans that congregate together on a Saturday. 

Every other club has managed to keep their young support attending matches. 

No worse than many many folk currently in the east stand. 

23 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

We did it with a trumpet at the cup final and it sparked a magic moment. 

That was fantastic - wish we'd kept that going as a Saints thing at subsequent matches.

The piper got us some great coverage for a while too - although I vaguely remember the club banning him from bringing his bagpipes at one point and there being a big backlash about it in the media.

On 1/19/2020 at 8:36 PM, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

It's not just the FCU that worries me, I am concerned that there's a lack of fans of a similar age to the FCU guys at MCD. 

I'm sure the power of communication on social media will have something to do with this. 

Saints need to come up with initiatives to attract fans of all age groups. 

Totally agree . Would another Ormond Stand day help? In  the split or possiby Betfred Cup Group games?

Might not be massive but would give us an idea of numbers etc

On 1/20/2020 at 6:23 PM, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Some of the FCU were advised to stay away by the police, they had been a bit naughty and were known to the police, on the other hand they were also getting unjustly harassed at some away games, I've seen 15 police containing 8 FCU members. Nanny state in full effect. 

Correct. Made attempts to comeback but Hamilton away at the end of last season was the final straw

On 1/22/2020 at 5:06 PM, CEA_20 said:

Dortmund season tickets are between €405-759 for adults with almost 50,000 people on the waiting list.  

Nope. The cheapest season tickets at Dortmund are €219.

You can see Bayern Munich for less than £10 a game. The average season ticket in the Bundesliga is €186, about €10 a game.

2 hours ago, SugarSpunSaintee said:

Totally agree . Would another Ormond Stand day help? In  the split or possiby Betfred Cup Group games?

Might not be massive but would give us an idea of numbers etc

I think the best hope of getting the place rocking is a great cup run, Ayr has got the support mobilised, get through that and an interesting winnable quarterfinal will have folk wanting to be there.