Saints v Celtic 29th january

ejksjfc

Managed to last a whole 6 minutes without conceding,  can see why Tommy is worshipped on here so much. Two up front is too attacking against Celtic for a manager like Tommy, even lower league teams seem to do better against Celtic than we do. Booth and Tanser seemed to be competing to see who could defend the worst. 

22 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

2nd halfs been better, but its a different celtic team that the first 30 minutes, not pushing as hard and taken the foot off the gas.

Just two different worlds on display here

TBH the change in formation helped but even if we started with that we wouldn’t have coped with Celtic’s intensity in the first 30 minutes, They were 4-0 up against the dons couple of months ago in the first half 

Just as well the game didn't finish at half time or team & fans would have been demoralised.

Second half display with a few chances & decent defending will help us forget first half.

We are also without a few decent players & would probably have expected or taken 0-3 before game.

Id have accepted a 3-0 humping before the game.   Especially if we failed to put 1 single tackle in for 45 minutes!   Men v boys out there.   Anyway, we tried but totally outclassed first half.  I can't find any positives, I'll let TW do that.   Roll on the weekend.

Combination of Celtic taking the foot off the gas and positive changes from Tommy there saved us from embarrassment. Liam steadied the ship and gave us some bite and McCart looked as decent as he could given the circumstances.

Duffy however is miles out of his depth. I know he is not a right back, but he was all over the shop and he knew it.

Will be interesting to see how Kerr, Gordon and McCart all fit in the team if we don't play 5 at the back. For me, Kerr is the one to drop.

Spoony rightfully man of the match. 

2 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Got to think approx. 2000 Saints fans turned up on such a miserable night,  so 6,743 'Tic fans x £30 = £202,290 + T.V. revenue.

Get in there.

I think 2000 is more than we usually get when all ST holders turn up.

League game , we don't get TV money.

You also have to take account that even if we didn't give them 3 stands they would have brought a few so maybe work it out at. 2500.x ticket price. Some may be pensioners & kids.

We were awful in that first half hour - I couldn't believe how we were standing off Celtic and letting them maraud through our rearguard at will - possibly doing Celtic a disservice they were worlds apart from us.

Glad we settled down in the second half and there was some tidy inter passing and a bit more dig. 

We have to be realsitic and take what positives there were and these have been mentioned earlier. 

That first 30 minutes was awful. Making far too many basic mistakes and give them far too much respect. We weren't putting them under any pressure and let them control the game. 3rd goal is the perfect example. Let there CB just walk from his own half to near enough the edge of our box without any pressure on him. You need to get in their faces. Was far too easy for them 1st half. 2nd half was better but they took the foot off the gas as well. Wasn't expecting anything at the start of the game but needing a big response on Saturday. Huge game against Hearts. Chance to get 9 points clear of them or risk being dragged near the bottom again.