Scottish Cup Q/F 29/2/2020

Cagey

1 hour ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

This could have been turned into our cup final. 

Move the game to Murrayfield and turn it into an opportunity to take them on at a neutral venue with a massive crowd. 

We would take more fans to a special occasion which would be magic than we will get at home. 

Saints fans would rise to the occasion, build up to the game would be exciting. 

Add in 40,000 celtic fans and it would be a special day out. 

Neutral venue and a  noisy saints support sounds good to me. Get a goal ahead and we'll, wow, the place would be rocking. 

Massive upside would be a share of an £800,000 plus gate minus costs of the venue. Saints still the home team so hospitality packages etc would make a fortune. 

I would certainly have gone to that. 

You don’t get the pie moneyat a neutral ground! You get the home dressing room and your name first, and that’s it.

2 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

It was 4,000, I think, we had there. It was after a horrendous run of SF’s against beatable teams, and I think folk were understandably scunnered. We’d get double that now, and more if it was a beatable team, I would think.

You think we'd take 8,000 to a semi-final? I don't think we'd come even remotely close to that.

10 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

You think we'd take 8,000 to a semi-final? I don't think we'd come even remotely close to that.

Well 4,000 comes remotely close to that, and everyone seems to feel that was artificially low because of results. And this time round, people would have expectations of progressing. I don’t think 8,000 is a crazy number, especially if it was against a beatable team at the end of a half decent season. 

43 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I don’t think 8,000 is a crazy number, especially if it was against a beatable team at the end of a half decent season. 

How many did we take to Hampden for a Scottish Cup semi against Motherwell in 2011?

We finished 8th that year in our second season up and had beaten Motherwell in the previous league game.

Overall attendance was shy of 12,000.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

How many did we take to Hampden for a Scottish Cup semi against Motherwell in 2011?

We finished 8th that year in our second season up and had beaten Motherwell in the previous league game.

Saturday lunchtime shitty kick off time for that one. 5,000 for a semi fot us against anyone would be a good turnout. 

3 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

You don’t get the pie moneyat a neutral ground! You get the home dressing room and your name first, and that’s it.

Fair do, didn't know that. 

Hopefully the excitement will build and Saints fans will get a great team performance and we send the green whordes hame with a fle in their ear. 

6 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Move the game to Murrayfield and turn it into an opportunity to take them on at a neutral venue with a massive crowd. 

We would take more fans to a special occasion which would be magic than we will get at home. 

Neutral venue and a  noisy saints support sounds good to me. Get a goal ahead and we'll, wow, the place would be rocking. 

Massive upside would be a share of an £800,000 plus gate minus costs of the venue. Saints still the home team so hospitality packages etc would make a fortune. 

Seriously...

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Don’t want to be reminded about that match.

No need dude.

5 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

It was 4,000, I think, we had there. It was after a horrendous run of SF’s against beatable teams, and I think folk were understandably scunnered. We’d get double that now, and more if it was a beatable team, I would think.

We filled the Roseburn stand which is circa 3500 and we had around 800 in the old main stand. 

7 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Someone on the wine gums again?

34 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Someone on the wine gums again?

Brown clearly trying to not spend the £2m in the bank and maximise turnover by giving 3 stands to the OF. 

Looks to me that he could be trying to increase turnover and profitability to attract a takeover bid. 

Nothing wrong with that, but with a bit of imagination Murrayfield could have created a special occasion. 

7 minutes ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Brown clearly trying to not spend the £2m in the bank and maximise turnover by giving 3 stands to the OF. 

Looks to me that he could be trying to increase turnover and profitability to attract a takeover bid. 

Nothing wrong with that, but with a bit of imagination Murrayfield could have created a special occasion. 

Murrayfield. No. wouldve taken quite a while to agree a contract to play there for policing, SFA & SRU to agree etc. And it would cost a shitload, and Celtic would have to agree. And I don't think we'd get a massive crowd. Celtic will probably not fill their allocation at McD, let alone meaningful numbers at Murrayfield. To their fans it's not exactly a juicy tie. It would in my opinion be a massive cockup and cost us money. Bank the £££ and put it to a player.

Edited by Melbourne Saint

1 hour ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Aye. That's raising the bar though. :wink:

11 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Murrayfield. No. wouldve taken quite a while to agree a contract to play there for policing, SFA & SRU to agree etc. And it would cost a shitload, and Celtic would have to agree. And I don't think we'd get a massive crowd. Celtic will probably not fill their allocation at McD, let alone meaningful numbers at Murrayfield. To their fans it's not exactly a juicy tie. It would in my opinion be a massive cockup and cost us money. Bank the £££ and put it to a player.

Agree too short notice for this game, but these opportunities against the OF in Cup games do come along from time to time so wouldn't do any harm for saints to have explored what could happen. 

I'm all for maximising income as long as it had a direct benefit for Tommy's playing budget. 

31 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

If we are moving it, why stop at Murrayfield? We played there a couple of years ago. I'd prefer the club showed real ambition that would attract global attention, so maybe Wembley or San Siro? Plenty flights from Edinburgh to London or Milan.

T mobile arena Las Vegas would be my choice if going overseas. 

15 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Well 4,000 comes remotely close to that, and everyone seems to feel that was artificially low because of results. And this time round, people would have expectations of progressing. I don’t think 8,000 is a crazy number, especially if it was against a beatable team at the end of a half decent season. 

You're aiming to double the 4,000 - that feels like quite a big jump to me. Have we ever taken 8,000 to a semi-final? I don't remember us ever taking more than about 4 or 5, and some of those matches were against beatable teams like Motherwell and Aberdeen. I don't really see why this season would be any different, given that on average our crowds are lower than they were when we played some of those other semis.

What do people reckon Saints' biggest ever travelling support would have been, discounting our major cup final appearances?

It would be absolutely fantastic if the 8,000 or so who came out for the home games against Minsk and Luzern saw this Celtic match in the same way and we could pack out three sides of McDiarmid with Saints supporters, but it's just never going to happen (I include myself in that as I travelled up from London for those games, but wouldn't do it for this one).

11 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Bad days when even you are turning into a troll, unless you are actually being serious? 

Edited by garydavidson

59 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

You're aiming to double the 4,000 - that feels like quite a big jump to me. Have we ever taken 8,000 to a semi-final? I don't remember us ever taking more than about 4 or 5, and some of those matches were against beatable teams like Motherwell and Aberdeen. I don't really see why this season would be any different, given that on average our crowds are lower than they were when we played some of those other semis.

What do people reckon Saints' biggest ever travelling support would have been, discounting our major cup final appearances?

It would be absolutely fantastic if the 8,000 or so who came out for the home games against Minsk and Luzern saw this Celtic match in the same way and we could pack out three sides of McDiarmid with Saints supporters, but it's just never going to happen (I include myself in that as I travelled up from London for those games, but wouldn't do it for this one).

1079D98C-FB9B-452E-8B7D-13A526D724CE.jpeg

45 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Bad days when even you are turning into a troll, unless you are actually being serious? 

Just an observation from me, I'm sure Brown is looking for an exit strategy, nothing wrong with that, he's done all he can, failed miserably in communicating with the fans but otherwise we have enjoyed the most successful period in our History in which I am sure he has paid a major part. 

I would love to see the main stand crammed on cup day with a large voicerfous choir right behind Lennons dugout. 

24 minutes ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Just an observation from me, I'm sure Brown is looking for an exit strategy, nothing wrong with that, he's done all he can, failed miserably in communicating with the fans but otherwise we have enjoyed the most successful period in our History in which I am sure he has paid a major part. 

I would love to see the main stand crammed on cup day with a large voicerfous choir right behind Lennons dugout. 

Time for the auld Muirton Choristers to come out o retirement.