St.Johnstone V Motherwell - Wednesday 12th February

SaintJet

6 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Holt had one of his better games but I would still have had 2 up front instead of him as Callum was winning balls in the air with nobody running off.

I can assure you I will 'never change 'in giving you some of my advice of 60 odd years in football.

Agree. Hendry needed support but always the case with 1 up front. Good to see the players with some fight in them.

1 minute ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Takes the pressure off us at Ross. A point would be decent.  A win would pretty much mean we're safe. But this is Saints...

No way should be going to County looking for less than 3 points. We have to try & open a gap & try and get into top 6.

Hendry & McCann must be 2 of the best young players in Scotland.

Motherwell have made £millions from young guy Scott that I don't think was even getting a regular game. There was another guy Celtic were going to sign but failed medical. I am sure there were others.

Saints don't have the media on their side in bigging up players.

Mind you ,hope we keep them for another season.

6 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Hendry & McCann must be 2 of the best young players in Scotland.

Motherwell have made £millions from young guy Scott that I don't think was even getting a regular game. There was another guy Celtic were going to sign but failed medical. I am sure there were others.

Saints don't have the media on their side in bigging up players.

Mind you ,hope we keep them for another season.

Couldn't agree more. McCann is a proper footballer. Plenty of ability, but loads of grit too. The way he chased the ball down near the corner in the 2nd half was great to see. Good hunger.

Hendry is really taking his chances in the team now. Very mature performance as the loan striker tonight. Still no idea how he won so many headers off much taller defenders.

Like McCann, you can see improvement week on week. Long may that continue.

Both seem to have a good attitude too. While McCann did well on loan at Stranrear, it didn't really work at Brechin for Hendry. Testiment to both how they used different loan experiences to their advantage. 

One of McCann's biggest fans , however the ball didn't appear to be near him too often in the 1st half due to 'Well lumping the ball from back to front , thus going over his head.

2nd half different story, he was in the midst of most things.

One way traffic in 2nd period and opportunities galore to put the game to bed. 

Been ages since I've seen so many chances  created without a goal resulting.

'Well goal had a charmed life, including two goal line clearances.

Just when it looked like it would end all square , justice was done when the better team scored the winning goal.

A great all round team effort with Drey, Spoony, Hendry & Ralston catching the eye.

My M.O.M . Drey Wright, no wonder Tommy wants him signed on a longer/new contract.

C.o.y.s

P.s. Some of the Motherwell tackling was more suited to Murrayfield. Ref. let it go 1st half but clamped down on it in the 2nd forty five.

So much for Robinson labelling Saints a physical side. 

Great win for Saints and delighted for Kano to get the winner.

Thought some of the play was excellent.

Glad to see Motherwell did not take advantage of all 11 Saints players leaving the field of play to celebrate. Perhaps any refs on here can confirm but my understanding is that if that is the case you can take kick off. It was highlighted at the euro finals when one celebrating player was designated to stay on the pitch in the opposition half.  

Enjoyed that last night and woke up with a smile on my face. Delighted for Kane . 

We must keep going, a win on Saturday and a draw with Hearts v Hamilton and we will have have big enough gap to take the pressure off and the need to talk about a relegation battle. 

Butcher looked the part in midfield. Would like to see him start on Saturday. Tommy will freshen up the team even though it was a very good team performance.

Onward and upward

Also delighted for Chris Kane to get the goal and winner, he works so hard and gets so much criticism.

Thought every player was fantastic last night and really played for the jersey and had a determination to win.

Booth and McCart great signings and both add height to the team which we lacked.

Edited by akuram

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

Great win for Saints and delighted for Kano to get the winner.

Thought some of the play was excellent.

Glad to see Motherwell did not take advantage of all 11 Saints players leaving the field of play to celebrate. Perhaps any refs on here can confirm but my understanding is that if that is the case you can take kick off. It was highlighted at the euro finals when one celebrating player was designated to stay on the pitch in the opposition half.  

Google came up with this:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ronaldo-portugal-celebration-world-cup-1693664

"The laws are clear," a FIFA spokesperson said. "Law eight says 'all players, except the player taking the kick-off, must be in their own half of the field of play,' at kick off.

"Therefore, the referee clearly cannot and would not (from a fairness perspective) allow the kick off whilst players are off the field celebrating."

10 hours ago, Dave H said:

Oh how Kane has saved the mood of the team!   Goalkeeping errors are always so open to criticism, what a relief for Zander that Kane scored a worthy injury time winner.   Brilliant.  Great strike from Hendry for the first and loved his emotion at end acknowledging the fans.   Braw!  Motherwell looked average, but that's possibly down to our shape.   We bossed that second half.  Huge 3 points.  As per all season, I'll stick the table here... hard to remember being rock bottom for weeks on end.  Team looks decent!

20200212_222851.jpg

Incredible that points-wise we're actually closer to third place than we are to bottom now. If only we'd beaten Livi instead of losing to them we'd currently be just one point behind them, and on the same points as Hibs, having played one game fewer than both of them. 

If only we hadn't charitably decided to give everyone else a head start we'd probably be looking at reaching for 3rd or 4th right now.

A really good performance and real confidence growing throughout the team. I was impressed how the lads came out after the break after that soft goal and took the game to a very aggressive Motherwell. I didn't think it was going to happen with the amount of sitters we missed but like a lot on here I'm delighted for the industrious Chris Kane.

The lad Butcher looked really comfortable on the ball - looks a great addition. I thought Dre Wright was back to his best before the injury and Ralston had his best game for us - you can see why he's on Cetic's books  - he was superb. Defense really steady apart from Jason's "bombscare" moments when he trys to beat a player when he is last man. 

The less said about Zanders duff the better - he will learn from this and getting on his back will only effect his confidence - he's still a young lad and he knows he could have dealt with that goal in his sleep.

McCann continues his classy form and I was also impressed with young Hendry's close control - these two have a big future.

We deserved this win with a lot of good players on the bench and a resurgent MOH still to come back. 

Well done to the faithfull who braved a freezing night - I sit beside four season ticket holders and they were presumably watching the omnibus edition of Coronation Street - shame on you!