Melbourne Saint

Saints Summer 2020 Transfers & Contracts

Recommended Posts

Righty ho.... I know there's the big thread on contracts/ transfers, but it gets a bit murky, so I thought it good to focus on the summer activity alone (albeit we are not safe from relegation). However, on the assumption that we will stay in the top tier, I'd like to know there's a coherent transfer strategy in place. Now. As we all know, the past few seasons have been shambolic, either as a result of bad management of getting targets, vagaries of agents, mad spending etc, but that's the norm now. There's obviously a few big considerations apart from our position in the league, or Div 1 promotions.  So... I'll kick it off. 

To me this transfer window is arguably the most important in many a year. Dwindling attendances, lack of morale and cohesion. 

I look at the squad:-

GK: covered,

Defence: CB covered. RB & LB "open".  Ralston, Booth contracts end at seasons end (as it stands). Should we offer contracts? Rooney: apparently pretty advanced on a free. Assuming ICT dont get promotion. Then RB is covered. Maybe give Booth an 18 mth for LB?

Midfield: okay, McCann. Sorted. If someone puts a big offer in, we're minted, so we'll ignore that for now. Craig: like him (potential manager for someone?) But he's getting close to the end of life. (Not literally, footballing wise). Great squad player, rejuvenated recently. But can he perform another year? 

Davidson: great player, age and injuries against him. 

Wingers. Drey still to get close, MOH, coming good. But injuries. 

Strikers. Oh dear. Where do we start??? Well, let's assume May will fire if he has service and a foil to help him do the channels. I think he'll come good. Hendry, signed up. Good sub, maybe starter, but maybe not physical/ positioning enough yet to do a McLean. I look forward to him progressing. He could be a gem. Kane? Tough hard worker. But something isn't right. Goals. I think he's reached his level. 

Loans: christ knows. Holt, gone? Ralston who knows, Butcher who knows, Jones, who knows. 

So, to me, 2 key targets. 

1. Box-box midfielder. A younger Murray. Imperative.

2. Striker. Hard working, physical.

We need a winger, Swanson is off, lack cover. Jones may be answer, who knows.

Get those 2 key signings Saints & hopefully Jones shows form when played. I'll be happy.

Monologue over. Amen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liam Craig is only 33 years of age...!   Seems to be this myth that he is approaching the end of his career for some bizarre reason.  He is one of the fittest players at the club.   Absolutely no issue in offering him another year contact at least.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Lt. Col Kojak Slaphead II said:

Liam Craig is only 33 years of age...!   Seems to be this myth that he is approaching the end of his career for some bizarre reason.  He is one of the fittest players at the club.   Absolutely no issue in offering him another year contact at least.   

Indeed, when you look at the stats from last season it is surprising how many minutes he actually put it: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contracts to renew:

Davidson, Craig (with a view to joining coaching staff but he's got a good few years in him yet), Booth, Wright

Release:

Kane, Anderson, Callachan, Swanson, McMillan

Currently I wouldn't be minded to offer any of the loanees a contract. It seems like Rooney is a done deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest a centre midfielder (player A) and someone who plays just off the main striker & left-wing (player b )is necessary. Another plus would be an old head who can play across the back and centre midfield as a back-up (player c)

With 4-5-1 (with back-up in brackets) we'd then play:

Clark (Parish)

Rooney (player C)          Kerr (Gordon/Duffy)                                             McCart (Gordon/Duffy)               Booth (Tanser)

 

                           McCann (Davidson/player C)       Craig (Davidson/player C)            Player A (Davidson/player C)           

 

O'Halloran (Wright)                                                                                                                             Wotherspoon (player B )                                                                                                                                          

 

May (Hendry/Player B )

Edited by Linky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Kane still have another year left on his contract? Might be handy to include the players' contract situations onto this thread if anyone knows where it is.

From what I've seen I agree central midfield needs a big addition. Davidson and Craig aren't getting any younger, McCann might be off in an offer comes in, and I'm not sure about Holt (is he out of contract at Sevco?). I've quite liked what I've seen of Holt but I understand he's blown a bit hot and cold.

I still reckon Swanson might come back into things - there's something there that we haven't been told about.

Oh, and I'd like to see us bring back Macca as a player-coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Does Kane still have another year left on his contract? Might be handy to include the players' contract situations onto this thread if anyone knows where it is.

From what I've seen I agree central midfield needs a big addition. Davidson and Craig aren't getting any younger, McCann might be off in an offer comes in, and I'm not sure about Holt (is he out of contract at Sevco?). I've quite liked what I've seen of Holt but I understand he's blown a bit hot and cold.

I still reckon Swanson might come back into things - there's something there that we haven't been told about.

Oh, and I'd like to see us bring back Macca as a player-coach.

Kane is out of contract this Summer.

Holt is out of contract at Rangers, but none of the other loanees seem to be free this Summer. Thought Butcher was but an interview with him lately sees him talking about having another year at Bournemouth. No idea about Jones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Might be handy to include the players' contract situations onto this thread if anyone knows where it is.

2023

Ali McCann

2022

Zander Clark, Jason Kerr, Jamie McCart, Callum Hendry

2021

Elliot Parish, Ross Sinclair, Liam Gordon, Wallace Duffy, Scott Tanser, David Wotherspoon, Michael O'Halloran, Stevie May

End of current season

Anthony Ralston, Callum Booth, Murray Davidson, Liam Craig, Jason Holt, Callum Butcher, Danny Swanson, Drey Wright, Isaiah Jones, Chris Kane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

I don't see Tommy wanting that to happen.

Me neither, but it needs to happen.

My suggestions for player A, B & C above based on who is out of contract this year:

A: could we try for someone like Ali Crawford who's contract is up at Bolton?

B: Chris Burke

C: Steven Whittaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

2023

Ali McCann

2022

Zander Clark, Jason Kerr, Jamie McCart, Callum Hendry

2021

Elliot Parish, Ross Sinclair, Liam Gordon, Wallace Duffy, Scott Tanser, David Wotherspoon, Michael O'Halloran, Stevie May

End of current season

Anthony Ralston, Callum Booth, Murray Davidson, Liam Craig, Jason Holt, Callum Butcher, Danny Swanson, Drey Wright, Isaiah Jones, Chris Kane

That's 10 end of season plus Ando and Mcm and Callaghan that's a lot of wages freed up. 

Thought Davidson had another year option. 

Shudder to think how saints will cope with such a massive turnaround in the summer. No wonder Brown wanted help. 

Have to hope that some of the expirees are sorted well before the summer. 

Liam, callum, Murray, and drey all worth extensions. 

I like Danny a lot but no extension unless he plays. 

Kane needs replaced, strikers need to score goals, he has his moments and tries very hard, but he's going to give Tommy a touchline coronary if he misses any more sitters so Tommy gets my vote. 

Top 6 this year would make things a lot easier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I don’t get the constant urge to sign geriatric ex h*ns. 

I don’t really care who someone has played for before. We need an experienced player who can play across the back line and in midfield if need be. Burke has been Killie’s best player this season, but they might not offer him another year. Our wage bill will probably need to come down, so being realistic.

If I’m honest, I think we will extend Kane’s contract in addition to those above, sign Rooney and Holt, extend Ralston’s loan for another season, then possibly be in the market for a left winger on loan. Tommy tends to go with what he knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Linky said:

I don’t really care who someone has played for before. We need an experienced player who can play across the back line and in midfield if need be. Burke has been Killie’s best player this season, but they might not offer him another year. Our wage bill will probably need to come down, so being realistic.

Hes one of Kilmarnocks higher earners.

I'm not sure signing a winger about to turn 37, on a decent wage, is the best idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Kane needs replaced, strikers need to score goals, he has his moments and tries very hard, but he's going to give Tommy a touchline coronary if he misses any more sitters so Tommy gets my vote. 

I reckon Kane will get given another year. If we release him then we have to replace him with a new striker, and we all know how big a struggle that will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, callander saint said:

Very surprised Melbourne Saint thinks our Goalkeepers are fine . In my opinion this position is probably our biggest concern.

Zander has proven he is a good goalie. He was good on loan to QoS & for us for a couple of seasons. Not sure what has gone wrong. Is it loss of confidence or is it that he is not playing his natural game due to in the back of his mind thinking of Tommy's so called instructions to stay on his line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Zander has proven he is a good goalie. He was good on loan to QoS & for us for a couple of seasons. Not sure what has gone wrong. Is it loss of confidence or is it that he is not playing his natural game due to in the back of his mind thinking of Tommy's so called instructions to stay on his line.

Maybe a bit of complacency creeping in this season, as he knows he will start every week, as Parish is a really poor keeper and a cheap option as back up, so not really offering a challenge to Clark, different story when he had to challenge big Mannus, both had to be at top of their game or be dropped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 11:51 AM, Linky said:

Contracts to renew:

Davidson, Craig (with a view to joining coaching staff but he's got a good few years in him yet), Booth, Wright

Release:

Kane, Anderson, Callachan, Swanson, McMillan

Currently I wouldn't be minded to offer any of the loanees a contract. It seems like Rooney is a done deal.

Ralston and Holt were both great yesterday, maybe I need to reassess. Presumably if we’re going for Rooney though, it means Ralston isn’t a possibility?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...