Saints v Sevco Feb 2020

Havana Saint

Really enjoyed the game yesterday and so pleased we came back to get a well deserved point.

Young Hendry took his goal brilliantly and drove himself in to the ground chasing everything. Defense were excellent with good communication throughout. Despite some critisism I though Zander had a decent game, some great saves and his distribution was best its been for ages, still flapped at a cross but he was getting hemmed in at the time.

Not sure about Butcher yet, he has a big presence but looks for too much time - I think he'll improve with game time. Spoony was a bit off the pace yesterday and his defending skills are negligible. Chuffed for Stevie getting his goal - love seeing him with a smile on his kisser. McCart just shaded the MOTM for me from Jason.

On the abdication of the three stands - there can't be anyone now questioning the merit of this. It was great to be among a big Saint support and it gave the players a focus to run to for adulation and we creamed it in financially. Win win.

I can foresee some bother in the future after games however - the Rangers fans were spoiling for a rammy as they left the game - who knows what could have went down if we had beaten them. I myself used restraint whilst displaying a broad smirk!

On leaving the ground we met a few opposition fans returning with drink from the local supermarket, obviously having left at 1-2 they were in cheery mode,  until it dawned on them their winning celebrations were premature! 
Never a good day dropping points, never mind dropping points to a ‘lesser’ team, and one they thought they’d have an ‘easy run out’ to. 
Don’t you just love supporting a diddy team!? 

37 minutes ago, Wendy Saints said:

On leaving the ground we met a few opposition fans returning with drink from the local supermarket, obviously having left at 1-2 they were in cheery mode,  until it dawned on them their winning celebrations were premature! 
Never a good day dropping points, never mind dropping points to a ‘lesser’ team, and one they thought they’d have an ‘easy run out’ to. 
Don’t you just love supporting a diddy team!? 

Stevie ****ing May scored today - that’s how bad we are - Straight from the Bears Den! That's one scary forum to visit.

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

I can foresee some bother in the future after games however - the Rangers fans were spoiling for a rammy as they left the game - who knows what could have went down if we had beaten them. I myself used restraint whilst displaying a broad smirk!

Yeah, this needs addressed. In the statement when they made the decision, they talked about this providing a safer environment but IMO, the opposite is very much true. 

Folk can take umbrage over giving them three stands but the very real concerns about the safety of the home support are something Kirsten Campbell, Steve Brown and the board NEED to take seriously. 

Is it not possible to direct all away supporters round the back of the North Stand? Would give the home support time to disperse,  plus points many of the them in the direction of the bus park without having the cross the path of the home support. 

If trouble flares then the club can't say they haven't been warned as I'm sure they'll have had feedback on this. 

Great performance from Saints I thought. We slightly rode our luck at times, but you need to be able to do that in these games. What encourages me is how hard working all of our players are at the moment. Even when it doesn't go right for them, they chase back and get stuck in and work their arses off for the result. Butcher looks like he fits right into that ethos, too. It's frustrating that May and Hendry have barely played together, because for me they have the makings of a very exciting partnership. Both chase down defenders, both cover every blade of grass, and both have shown they can be calm and composed when it comes to finishing. Would love to see them get a run in the team together. I reckon we have a good chance of both players ending up on double figures for the season, which would be fantastic for us.

I thought Clark made some really good saves, under a lot of pressure. Clearly all eyes were on him, and it looked like Sevco had pinpointed him as a weak point because they seemed to be under instruction to shoot whenever possible. I think he handled that well and hopefully he can now start to rebuild some confidence.

Yeah the Old Firm do not like late equalizers that's for sure. A lot of very unhappy, surly knuckle draggers after the game. The dispersal of fans after the games is something they will look at when something does kick off.

Really pleased that Stevie May has got his confidence back. He is never going to be the player of 5 years ago but f he can adjust his game and get 10 to 15 goals a season he will have been a great acquisition for us.  

1 minute ago, Bruno Strasser said:

Really pleased that Stevie May has got his confidence back. He is never going to be the player of 5 years ago but f he can adjust his game and get 10 to 15 goals a season he will have been a great acquisition for us.  

I actually think that in some ways he looks a better player than he did five years ago. But yeah, in terms of sheer goal-scoring I get what you're saying.

1 minute ago, tucker said:

McCann struggled to give St Johnstone, compliments,did so through gritted teeth

I noticed that as well. He was very economical with any type of praise, in fact if you ever listen to him on the radio he's the same when it comes to acknowledging Saints. The scars from Big Zander "assualting" him and Tommy getting it right up him still run deep! Ha 

Great performance. Kerr was incredible. We chased their defenders for every ball, which meant they couldn’t get a rhythm going. They improved in the second half, but we still managed to hold them off. What is important is that now we are taking our chances, which is vital against the bigger teams.

The only player slightly off the pace was Wotherspoon, not quite sure why. However, good team performance, right subs made at the right time. Butcher looks good, but still think Craig is better.

21 hours ago, mainstand said:

great result in very nice seeing 7000 or so glum faces leave the stadium at the end. Even nicer when they give us £30 for the pleasure:eek:

Well done Mayzo, Hendry and all the others. 

I am sure @Cagey  might even be a happy bunny after that :shock:

Happy that we took approx £150 k off them but wonder if we would have won or lost the game if we hadn't sat too deep in second half.

Recon Rangers would have won if Gerrard hadn't tried to hold what they had at 2-1.

4 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Yeah, this needs addressed. In the statement when they made the decision, they talked about this providing a safer environment but IMO, the opposite is very much true. 

Folk can take umbrage over giving them three stands but the very real concerns about the safety of the home support are something Kirsten Campbell, Steve Brown and the board NEED to take seriously. 

Is it not possible to direct all away supporters round the back of the North Stand? Would give the home support time to disperse,  plus points many of the them in the direction of the bus park without having the cross the path of the home support. 

If trouble flares then the club can't say they haven't been warned as I'm sure they'll have had feedback on this. 

Keep them behind for 15 mins after game. Job done. Wonder how many seats they would break though?

On 2/20/2020 at 12:44 PM, Cagey said:

Willie Collum so oddson Saints win will be good. Not a betting man though.

Dallas 4th official. Just get better.

To be fair to Collum he had a decent game & resisted to shouts from h UN's every time the ball hit a Saints player or their player went down in box. Gave them a few fouls in outfield when they went down with a hand on the back. Mind you only gave 9 fouls against us but only a couple actual fouls.

Saints must have the lowest foul count in premiership.

Another draw, another point this time out.  Had hoped we might have got all 3 to chase on top 6, but need settle for a point.  Little change this weekend with Hibs drawing v Livi.  Killie lost at Celtic and surprise County winning at Pittodrie. Looking like the current top 6 are going to battle out a 3rd spot with games running out to the split for us to catch..  we're on a good run just now, keep it going and see what happens.... Scottish Cup win anyone?

20200224_210234.jpg

10 hours ago, SaintJet said:

Really enjoyed the game yesterday and so pleased we came back to get a well deserved point.

Young Hendry took his goal brilliantly and drove himself in to the ground chasing everything. Defense were excellent with good communication throughout. Despite some critisism I though Zander had a decent game, some great saves and his distribution was best its been for ages, still flapped at a cross but he was getting hemmed in at the time.

Not sure about Butcher yet, he has a big presence but looks for too much time - I think he'll improve with game time. Spoony was a bit off the pace yesterday and his defending skills are negligible. Chuffed for Stevie getting his goal - love seeing him with a smile on his kisser. McCart just shaded the MOTM for me from Jason.

On the abdication of the three stands - there can't be anyone now questioning the merit of this. It was great to be among a big Saint support and it gave the players a focus to run to for adulation and we creamed it in financially. Win win.

Thought the atmosphere was brilliant and really enjoyed the game.

8 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Great performance from Saints I thought. We slightly rode our luck at times, but you need to be able to do that in these games. What encourages me is how hard working all of our players are at the moment. Even when it doesn't go right for them, they chase back and get stuck in and work their arses off for the result. Butcher looks like he fits right into that ethos, too. It's frustrating that May and Hendry have barely played together, because for me they have the makings of a very exciting partnership. Both chase down defenders, both cover every blade of grass, and both have shown they can be calm and composed when it comes to finishing. Would love to see them get a run in the team together. I reckon we have a good chance of both players ending up on double figures for the season, which would be fantastic for us.

I thought Clark made some really good saves, under a lot of pressure. Clearly all eyes were on him, and it looked like Sevco had pinpointed him as a weak point because they seemed to be under instruction to shoot whenever possible. I think he handled that well and hopefully he can now start to rebuild some confidence.

I think we lack a certain amount of belief, however the ‘youngsters’ in the team show a certain lack of respect to so called bigger teams a case in point Callum Hendry on Sunday.. I have seen enough so far this season to feel confident we have turned the proverbial corner... it would be good if we could hold on to the likes of Hendry & McCann for a couple of seasons... I agree with you re May & Hendry.. think they would be good for each other... both their work rates on Sunday were immense. Stevie in particular reinforcing why he is a Saints legend to many ... oh how I love our wee Saints team... 

4 hours ago, Cagey said:

To be fair to Collum he had a decent game & resisted to shouts from h UN's every time the ball hit a Saints player or their player went down in box. Gave them a few fouls in outfield when they went down with a hand on the back. Mind you only gave 9 fouls against us but only a couple actual fouls.

Saints must have the lowest foul count in premiership.

I know this sounds crazy, can’t believe I’m actually saying this again, but I love Willie Collum, he is soooo unlike the other pro old firm refs! It may seem like I am complimenting him, however I find him usually inept towards both sides! On Sunday I actually thought he had a good game. In the main let the game flow, and wasn’t swayed too much by the opposition fans.

Unlike other refs when it comes to the old firm, I think personally we are in with a shout should we get Willie Collum as our ref. 

12 hours ago, Dave H said:

Another draw, another point this time out.  Had hoped we might have got all 3 to chase on top 6, but need settle for a point.  Little change this weekend with Hibs drawing v Livi.  Killie lost at Celtic and surprise County winning at Pittodrie. Looking like the current top 6 are going to battle out a 3rd spot with games running out to the split for us to catch..  we're on a good run just now, keep it going and see what happens.... Scottish Cup win anyone?

20200224_210234.jpg

Carry on as we are top 6 is achievable.