Suspending Football Fixtures

MySpazz

More to the point, it would be a financial disaster for small clubs like Saints. They would have no football revenue, and possibly no hospitality revenue, for many months. It’s possible that, as well as no new signings, many players and support staff will be laid off. The reserves would take a hammering, but I think we would survive,

On the football front, if there’s no top six to play in, I don’t suppose it would really matter to us at least if it stopped now. 

18 hours ago, MySpazz said:

When should the authorities look at suspending football matches, and if they do, will we ever play that re-arranged match v Rangers!!!

If the season ended now, would you be ok with that?

With games being played behind closed doors in the rest of Europe the UK government will come under pressure to follow suit.

At the moment I think keeping an eye on the spread of the virus is probably the best approach.

Can't see us getting to the end of the season.. If they suspend the season then only Rangers will object to Celtic getting the title. I don't know what they do about relegation though.

Cancel the season after we beat Hibs on Saturday, so that we finish in the Top 6. :)

What I find bizarre is the request to players to stop shaking hands. This is a contact sport where players are constantly grappling with each other and touching each other - not to mention the fact that they're constantly gobbing all over the place. What difference will it make if they shake hands or not? Just seems to me like a half-measure that will achieve nothing.

52 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Cancel the season after we beat Hibs on Saturday, so that we finish in the Top 6. :)

What I find bizarre is the request to players to stop shaking hands. This is a contact sport where players are constantly grappling with each other and touching each other - not to mention the fact that they're constantly gobbing all over the place. What difference will it make if they shake hands or not? Just seems to me like a half-measure that will achieve nothing.

Noticed the players all shaking hands after the Livi game.

I suppose the could then wash their hands whilst singing happy birthday.

No reason for most games in premiership to be cancelled as with the crowds we get we could all sit 2 metres apart.

3 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

First Minister has just announced Scottish Government are to “advise against” mass gatherings of more than 500 from Monday. I THINK that means you should enjoy the game on Saturday, because it could be the last you see for a while, but presumably the football authorities will react in due course.

Reason apparently is to ease pressure on emergency services rather than risk of contracting the virus at said events.  Must say that strikes me as good sound common sense.  

4 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

First Minister has just announced Scottish Government are to “advise against” mass gatherings of more than 500 from Monday. I THINK that means you should enjoy the game on Saturday, because it could be the last you see for a while, but presumably the football authorities will react in due course.

She wouldn't want to impose it before Monday & upset Rangers losing out on OF income.

6 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I’m confused too. Does this mean that all matches where an attendance of more than 500 is expected should be cancelled or can they still go ahead subject to a maximum “crowd” 0f 500?

1 hour ago, Lochwinnochsaintee said:

I’m confused too. Does this mean that all matches where an attendance of more than 500 is expected should be cancelled or can they still go ahead subject to a maximum “crowd” 0f 500?

My take on it was she was simply advising against gatherings of more than 500, and she strenuously avoided saying that meant the season was over in interviews. I presume she wants the decision to be formally made, and the details worked out, by the football authorities. Bear in mind the 500 presumably includes players, officials, staff etc. I don’t see how clubs can limit entry to 500 safely - with no police present, mind, when number 501 swings a fist. I suppose you could sell 500 tickets through a ballot or something, but that might not even cover the costs of safely opening a large stadium. And of course, won’t thoosands of Bigots simply gather outside Ibrox and Parkhead and breath on each other?

Anyway, there is LOADS of fun to be had watching the poor SPFPLPFFL sort this out. I bet Neil Doncaster will self-isolate before morning.....

6 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I think you’ll find the First Minister has no love for pretendy Rangers, and that the feeling is mutual.....

Any plans to update your profile picture? Of course, some of the allegations against him are not much more than Benny Hill.

4 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Anyway, there is LOADS of fun to be had watching the poor SPFPLPFFL sort this out. I bet Neil Doncaster will self-isolate before morning.....

Hilarious ...love it. SPFFLSPFL

Exactly as has happened in Germany and elsewhere is going to happen here.

Anyone know if there was any justification given for why she mentioned there shouldn't be large gatherings "from Monday"? Surely if it's an issue, then it's an issue now. I really hope that the fact there's an Old Firm match scheduled for Sunday doesn't have anything to do with it, as that would be absolutely ridiculous.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Anyone know if there was any justification given for why she mentioned there shouldn't be large gatherings "from Monday"? Surely if it's an issue, then it's an issue now. I really hope that the fact there's an Old Firm match scheduled for Sunday doesn't have anything to do with it, as that would be absolutely ridiculous.

I thought that was daft, myself. Bear in mind though the SG broke ranks with the English government just to do this, so we shouldn’t be too harsh. It’s becoming quite clear that all the organisations actually organising large events are just ignoring Boris and following the Scottish approach, anyway.

Anyone thinking of placing trust in the Tories and their tame media: the Daily Mail supports the Boris line and urges we plebs to follow the government advice in their paper......and, simultaneously, a leaked email from their HR to their staff says the government advice is NOT adequate, and they are to take extra measures.

23 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Is that a reasoned argument or just an insult. Do you have the stats ?.

Reasoned. Anyone suggesting something called the “Coronavirus” isn’t a virus is quite clearly an idiot.

On the figures, which I wasn’t really referring to, the latest from 2016 showed Scotland had 288 cases of TB and 34 deaths. So on the figures, he’s probably about 99.999% likely to be proved an idiot by some considerable distance as well.