The big COVID-19 Shutdown

Linky

10 hours ago, byebyedundee said:

What choice do these companies have....Of course the Food & Beverage companies will pay people off and so they should along with every other company .. It's better to cut now and survive later.. People who think private companies should carry on paying are in dream land .. If there's no money they'll just close anyway....It's 100% the governments responsibility they've shut the country they should pay... My only concern is during H1N1 nobody closed because we were fixated by the crash .. social media has brought this world to a standstill and personally there should be a right to go back to work by April end......As there will be more deaths and more anarchy more crime if we continue down this economical death... Over 65 & Compromised health stay home the rest get on with your lives and turn my beloved New York City into John Carpenters Escape from New York......were FKKKEEDDD

All companies are getting the 80% payment backdated to the beginning of March, so they absolutely have a choice. 

*** Martin could easily have paid his staff, even a reduced 80% salary rather than full pay and recouped every single penny.  

30 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

All companies are getting the 80% payment backdated to the beginning of March, so they absolutely have a choice. 

*** Martin could easily have paid his staff, even a reduced 80% salary rather than full pay and recouped every single penny.  

Is the 80% not just a grant that’s to be repaid rather than a donation to struggling companies?

2 hours ago, andrew said:

Taxes will have to go up?

That’s the question. Thing is, there turned out to be a magic money tree after all - in fact, a forest of them. Remember Theresa May told the nurses there wasn’t one as she denied them yet another pay rise - and then weeks later gave MP’s one? The same nurses who are now putting their own lives at risk for us?

The BMA estimated that austerity shortened the lives of 120,000 people. At a fraction of the cost of the virus measures, austerity could have been much less severe, and arguably more lives could have been saved than the virus will take. But the virus kills and impoverishes rich people too. Spot the difference?

Some are already saying no British government will get away with austerity, designed to make the poor carry the cost of greedy rich people’s mistakes, ever again. But who knows? 

Now is not the time. But there will be a reckoning.

4 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

That’s the question. Thing is, there turned out to be a magic money tree after all - in fact, a forest of them. Remember Theresa May told the nurses there wasn’t one as she denied them yet another pay rise - and then weeks later gave MP’s one? The same nurses who are now putting their own lives at risk for us?

The BMA estimated that austerity shortened the lives of 120,000 people. At a fraction of the cost of the virus measures, austerity could have been much less severe, and arguably more lives could have been saved than the virus will take. But the virus kills and impoverishes rich people too. Spot the difference?

Some are already saying no British government will get away with austerity, designed to make the poor carry the cost of greedy rich people’s mistakes, ever again. But who knows? 

Indeed there will.

13 hours ago, MySpazz said:

No split.

How are you getting 30 games from not having a split? If you get rid of the split it's either 44 games (from playing each other 4 times) or 33 games (from playing each other 3 times, which would be very weird).

Just trying to work out what it is that you're suggesting?

16 hours ago, mike_gain said:

The US will suffer as much of an economic shock if they ignore the threat and lift social distancing measures too far and too soon.

The unemployment figures could easily be equaled by fatality figures if demand in hospitals outstrips capacity. On top of that how does the economy function when a large proportion of it are sick and the rest scared of getting sick?

No easy answers here for any country....but the US has the biggest disadvantage in that the President is way out of his league yet thinks he's on top of it all.

June is a possibility though if measures stay in place. Hopefully Scotland will peak in the next couple of weeks and we'll start the see the impact of social distancing.

I hope your right regarding June....

2 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

They've done it before and people still vote for them, time after time. Why would it be any different in any other election? The Tories can basically do whatever they like... they could have a policy of literally punching nurses in the face... the British people would still vote them in.

35 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

They've done it before and people still vote for them, time after time. Why would it be any different in any other election? The Tories can basically do whatever they like... they could have a policy of literally punching nurses in the face... the British people would still vote them in.

This is a good article, and points out the working class will become fodder, and in total all of us are here to create a market for the robber barons we have allowed to flourish through uncontrolled maximization and monopoly 

WORTH YOUR TIME >>>> https://www.esquire.com/uk/life/a31915611/coronavirus-timeline/

42 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

How are you getting 30 games from not having a split? If you get rid of the split it's either 44 games (from playing each other 4 times) or 33 games (from playing each other 3 times, which would be very weird).

Just trying to work out what it is that you're suggesting?

Any which way..............play each other twice, that'll do it. Doesn't need to be 30, could be 22 if needed, or 26 if they promote clubs etc

I always said before bringing in more teams. That we should put premiership and championship together and first and second. Then the pyramid system as it works now so two maid leagues of twenty just like in Italy. Play each other twice. This is where I don’t know if it would work. But as teams aren’t playing each other three or four times a season they don’t know each other as well tactically so more interesting games. Also old firm wouldn’t be happy as no full stadiums when they play each other four times a season. But the smaller teams in bottom end of the table will get more money due to playing teams with bigger crowds so will have more mo day to get better players meaning surely in a few years the football is better quality as some smaller teams improve. 

27 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

This is a good article, and points out the working class will become fodder, and in total all of us are here to create a market for the robber barons we have allowed to flourish through uncontrolled maximization and monopoly 

WORTH YOUR TIME >>>> https://www.esquire.com/uk/life/a31915611/coronavirus-timeline/

In 11 years the tories have made us fodder, if we stand back a nd let them bail out the big businesses, and there mates and only gave the Uc claimants £ 10 a week, then the riots of 81 and 2010 will look like a kinder garden party.

6 hours ago, andrew said:

Taxes will have to go up?

I don’t know Andrew. I think they’re hoping that maybe we’ll all get back to some sort of normality after this. 

I actually wonder if this will be a catalyst for huge financial change. 

A lot of people under 50 are very poor savers, myself included. 

This might cause a change in attitudes, we might see people being more frugal and saving more, like those that lived through the war or just after it. 

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Sadly, I think you could be right. Much depends on whether Labour in England get their act together  (they are beyond resuscitation in Scotland).

54 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

Any which way..............play each other twice, that'll do it. Doesn't need to be 30, could be 22 if needed, or 26 if they promote clubs etc

The TV deal, which is a contract they can back out of if their terms arent meant, requires 4 league games between Rangers and Celtic.

If the TV money goes, the vast majority of us are absolutely ****ed.

This is why I find all these wild theories about reconstruction ridiculous. If you dont factor in 4 OF games, then you're not going to be right.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

The TV deal, which is a contract they can back out of if their terms arent meant, requires 4 league games between Rangers and Celtic.

This is why I find all these wild theories about reconstruction ridiculous. If you dont factor in 4 OF games, then you're not going to be right.

Fine, construct the league in such a way that there is a play off scenario, or whatever it takes but what is clear is this: You cannot just lose 4 months of a year and then carry on as normal. 

What's your solution?

3 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I don’t know Andrew. I think they’re hoping that maybe we’ll all get back to some sort of normality after this. 

I actually wonder if this will be a catalyst for huge financial change. 

A lot of people under 50 are very poor savers, myself included. 

This might cause a change in attitudes, we might see people being more frugal and saving more, like those that lived through the war or just after it. 

I’d like to think that our horrible selfish culture might change after this. Then I look at the bare shelves and question myself.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Some kind of Glasgow Champions two legged cup affair sorts that. Horrible that we’re stuck with these gruesome aberrations dictating everything.

3 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Sadly, I think you could be right. Much depends on whether Labour in England get their act together  (they are beyond resuscitation in Scotland).

That fact alone means they stand no chance of being elected. 

I’m SNP and left leaning but have been VERY impressed by Rishi Sunak as a person. 

PM elect from me. It’s his to lose. 

30 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

That fact alone means they stand no chance of being elected. 

I’m SNP and left leaning but have been VERY impressed by Rishi Sunak as a person. 

PM elect from me. It’s his to lose. 

Aye, he has impressed. But I’d be impressive too if I was giving away a couple of hundred billion pounds or so. Give it time. Guy’s a millionaire banker married to a billionaire’s heiress. He’s not on our side.

Without boring everyone with the details, the notion that Scotland has to vote Labour for Labour to win in the UK is a complete myth which they keep pedalling even though They know it is a lie. It has never really happened, ever. Either Labour hasn’t needed the Scottish seats for its majority, or they wouldn’t have been enough. If every single person in Scotland had voted Labour in December, Boris would still be UK PM by a country mile.

Once you understand that, there isn’t any reason left to vote for the eejits. Anyway, too much politics, sorry.

5 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Aye, he has impressed. But I’d be impressive too if I was giving away a couple of hundred billion pounds or so. Give it time. Guy’s a millionaire banker married to a billionaire’s heiress. He’s not on our side.

Without boring everyone with the details, the notion that Scotland has to vote Labour for Labour to win in the UK is a complete myth which they keep pedalling even though They know it is a lie. It has never really happened, ever. Either Labour hasn’t needed the Scottish seats for its majority, or they wouldn’t have been enough. If every single person in Scotland had voted Labour in December, Boris would still be UK PM by a country mile.

Once you understand that, there isn’t any reason left to vote for the eejits. Anyway, too much politics, sorry.

Don't want to bore you all with the details, but the English, and by that I mean the Civil Service and in particular Westminster could not two fcks about Scotland - we are but shit on their shoe, so if you have any gumption and self worth you'd support anyone who would fight for Scottish Independence.  

Oh, before anyone gets offended I hate only one English thing: The football team. I love the English and can't wait until they have the self-confidence to be a nation and independent place - Scotland is ready.

On the Covid shutdown............. just hand out the titles to Celtic and Dundee United, then have play offs in the other areas where there is something of contention (relegation, Europa League)

Edited by MySpazz