The big COVID-19 Shutdown

Linky

3 hours ago, Papa Jack said:

You would think that would preclude teams from furloughing any players. 

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

I suppose it would depend if you also furloughed the sports scientist and the players did a plan using his knowledge and understanding as a friend and not on behalf of the club.

As Mainstand says you would just have to rely on them using their knowledge of what they have had to do before to get through it. That is what will be happening for those teams that have already furloughed their teams. 

14 hours ago, mainstand said:

Interesting discussion on BBC Scotland today where Neil McCann wanted an additional 2 teams brought in to save Hearts.

if they play each other twice then split into 2 sevens, give you a total of 32 matches. or 38 if playing each other home and away this would please Sky who require 4 old firm matches. 

Hearing a lot of people suggest this sort of thing but I'm yet to hear any explanation of what would then happen beyond the end of next season - would we be stuck with a 14-team league beyond that, or would there need to be an abnormally large relegation zone to put things back the way they were? Can't say I'm a fan of either scenario.

3 hours ago, mainstand said:

Also worth noting that the players themselves would have to agree to be furloughed, it is a joint agreement.

Yeah,but furlough or role. I know what I would choose. Mind you you wouldn't want to lose Hendry & McCann.

24 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Hearing a lot of people suggest this sort of thing but I'm yet to hear any explanation of what would then happen beyond the end of next season - would we be stuck with a 14-team league beyond that, or would there need to be an abnormally large relegation zone to put things back the way they were? Can't say I'm a fan of either scenario.

I think if we went for 14 then it would probably stay 14 or 2 down none up.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

They did touch on the following season and suggested that 3 teams be relegated.

2 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

That is putting in a lot of effort to save Hearts. 

I agree. I don't see the point, or the need, for restructuring the leagues to create a set-up that most clubs will presumably see as inferior (otherwise why do we not have a 14-team league already). The ramifications would go right down through the leagues and would also mean extra clubs being promoted/relegated out of non-league a year down the line. For me, a reduced season might make sense if/when time becomes an issue, but I really can't see them changing the actual number of teams involved.

31 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I agree. I don't see the point, or the need, for restructuring the leagues to create a set-up that most clubs will presumably see as inferior (otherwise why do we not have a 14-team league already). The ramifications would go right down through the leagues and would also mean extra clubs being promoted/relegated out of non-league a year down the line. For me, a reduced season might make sense if/when time becomes an issue, but I really can't see them changing the actual number of teams involved.

if I was being cynical, it sounds like a solution that solves a lot of problems. Hearts, Partick, Falkirk/Raith Rovers. I'm not saying it's the correct thing but it does take away a lot of hassle for those in charge.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Role should have read dole. Bloomin predictive text.

But you would not have that choice as the players are under contract and unless you went to the extent of administration then the players contracts would be payable. Also would you really cut your nose off to spite your face by releasing prized assets??

22 minutes ago, mainstand said:

But you would not have that choice as the players are under contract and unless you went to the extent of administration then the players contracts would be payable. Also would you really cut your nose off to spite your face by releasing prized assets??

Do I don't think for 1 minute Saints would but in wider industry that is the stark choice.

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Mentioned in the Courier today that players are getting full wages, and the club are "looking into the furlough scheme"

Here is the article - https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1247278/st-johnstone-pause-new-contracts-and-signings-with-tommy-wright-confirming-he-wants-to-keep-matt-butcher/

2 minutes ago, Cagey said:

My thoughts were that Saints would pay full wages for March then go on furlough. I don't see any other option.

Sounds like they're waiting on the leagues decision on what's happening with prize money etc., before making any future plans. 

Fair enough I suppose.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

My thoughts were that Saints would pay full wages for March then go on furlough. I don't see any other option.

If the players go on furlough, the club can't ask them to do any work at all, which includes training. That doesn't seem like a possibility to me. I think the only staff who go on furlough will be non-playing staff who are basically left unable to carry out their duties (e.g. the kit person, possibly the physio team, etc).

Completely back the club's position on new contracts and signings given the situation, but it will nonetheless be pretty annoying if we end up losing our out of contract players to rival clubs because of this.

34 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

If the players go on furlough, the club can't ask them to do any work at all, which includes training. That doesn't seem like a possibility to me. I think the only staff who go on furlough will be non-playing staff who are basically left unable to carry out their duties (e.g. the kit person, possibly the physio team, etc).

Completely back the club's position on new contracts and signings given the situation, but it will nonetheless be pretty annoying if we end up losing our out of contract players to rival clubs because of this.

That's true, but as MS pointed out up the thread a bit, theoretically the players can still "train" on their own without the club being involved, and work with a fitness trainer (who's also now been furloughed) on anything very specific.

13 minutes ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

No club should get a financial advantage from this situation, saints aim should be to come out the other end of this in the no wors  financial position in relation to other clubs than when it started. 

What about clubs who've been on the front foot in terms of wage deferrals/cuts. Would you not say they've done the right thing in looking at ways to cut their cloth? 

20 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

What about clubs who've been on the front foot in terms of wage deferrals/cuts. Would you not say they've done the right thing in looking at ways to cut their cloth? 

Saints have more wiggle room than most clubs, each club will do what it has to do to try and get through this. Would prefer if we didn't loose hundreds of thousands in relation to other clubs as it will affect the budget when we do get back playing again. The most important thing is that clubs get through this and all staff are kept safe and well and not under pressure to return before it's safe to do so. 

On 3/31/2020 at 7:23 PM, Abernethy Saint said:

If it’s as-it-stands, it seems to be accepted final positions would be on points average rather than points. So Saints would JUST sneak above Hibs.

Not seen the article myself, but apparently lower league sides being asked to vote, with "points per game" being used to decide positions.

If accepted imagine top flights sides would go the same way.

As said, it would leave us in 6th.