....other glorious defeats (draws)?

dublinsaints

So where would you place yesterday in that frustrating list we all have of matches where we leave the ground with our pride and love of the Saints grown however not the result.

To start my glorious defeat (or draw) top 5 list is:

1) Saints 3 Rangers 3 (Scottish Cup - Muirton Park)

2) Saints 0 Rangers 0 (Scottish Cup Semi - Parkhead)

3) Saints 1 Celtic 2 (Scottish Cup Semi - Hampden)

4) Saints 0 Aberdeen 1 (Scottish Cup Muirton Park) - I think this was the result however sure somebody may correct me

5) Saints 1 Hibs 3 (League Cup - Tynecastle)

One that springs to mind for me is the Rangers game in about 98/99 at Ibrox where we looked the better team for most of the match - towards the end of the game Paddy Connolly (I think!) got the ball past their keeper but Colin Hendry (I think?) dived on the line to save it with his hand and keep it out. He got a red card and we got a penalty, but John O'Neil missed it. Porrini scored for them and we ended up losing 1-0.

Was that the boxing day game BH? IIRC Paddy should have buried it as he had the whole goal to aim at but he hit it pretty much straight at Hendry - I was absolutely livid with him at the time! Then when we missed the penalty I started thinking there should be a more severe punishment for people who blatantly handle on the line - like lining them up in front of a firing squad or something....cheating bath turd!

Was that the boxing day game BH? IIRC Paddy should have buried it as he had the whole goal to aim at but he hit it pretty much straight at Hendry - I was absolutely livid with him at the time! Then when we missed the penalty I started thinking there should be a more severe punishment for people who blatantly handle on the line - like lining them up in front of a firing squad or something....cheating bath turd!

Yup, that's the one.

Saints lost to Celtic in the CIS Cup, August 1997. Played them off the park for 90 minutes, but somehow it stayed 0-0. The game was heading for penalties when Hugh Dallas gave a pen against Callum Davidson for the ball hitting his shoulder - with about 2 minutes to go.

This came after John O'Neil - our best player on the night - was given a straight red for kicking thin air about 5 feet from his opponent, and Roddy sent off for a daft deliberate handball, his second yellow, when the first booking was a joke.

I've never seen a worse display of refereeing in nearly 30 years following Saints and Saints were genuinely robbed that night. People were going home more bemused than annoyed.

Sadly the Sky Sports live coverage was dominated by Burns+Nicholas going on about how shite Celtic were, and didn't give us an ounce of credit for dominating the game.

Another one that springs to mind was the Scottish Cup game v the **** at Castle Greyskull in (I think) Jan 1997. We got beat 2-0 but we totally dominated the second half. Brilliant away support that day too - i think we had the whole of the lower tier of the Broomloan Stand and made a great racket!

Scottish Cup semi at East End Park when we lost to the Arabs. Blatant handball by John Clark (I think) in the penalty area was missed by the ref denying us a stonewall penalty. Then that bloody clown Main made a wonder save to deny Curran (I think) a cert. :lol:

Herts

Was it no Davie Bowman that handled the ball

That day hurt bad especially at full time as we had to walk past the segregation fence at East End Park next to all the celebrating Arabs