Muirton Park Photos Before/During/After Demolition

Sir Albert Tatlock

Its a brilliant photo Radders. Where did you get it from?

I can just see the photographer in the rear seat of a biplane, handlebar mouser, brown leather helmet, white scarf jauntily thrown round the neck, brownie box camera in hand as he leans over the side. 'Tally Ho Ginger. That Asda be one of the most modern grounds in Scotland. Saints'll be here for centuries.Roger roger, beep'

one of the best threads we have ever had on here. Like Jimmy im sniffling in my soup. God it brings back memories though and most of them good. I remember coming out the ice rink end just after we had beaten celtic in one of those midweek league cup group games and some big Glasgow guy punching me right in the nose ah the memories

I remember jumping up and down after Saints scored against Rangers one time at Muirton and one of their fans threatened to cut my throat. I must have been 10 at the time. Tough guys huh.

After the 0-0 Cup Semi-Final v them, when we were Div One, I was walking back to the bus with my blow up skeleton, big smile delighted at my team's great effort... If I didn't stop smiling, me and the skeleton were getting knifed... I was a similar age!

• 4 months later...
I remember jumping up and down after Saints scored against Rangers one time at Muirton and one of their fans threatened to cut my throat. I must have been 10 at the time. Tough guys huh.

My dad brother and me were walking past Ayr united buses in florence place .First game of the season we drew 0-0. An Ayr fan spat at me and my brother.My dad flew on the bus and grabbed the individual.My dad was not a violent person but he looked like he was going to throttle the guy.So not only o f supporters.

Ah the memories!!! ihave loads of stories about my times at muirton, here is just one. When saints were on a real down just before geoff came to our savior saints could not even afford to give the place a lick of paint so the decided to ask for volunteers from the social social club under the old main stand to help out sprucing the place up.

So the next day a few of us from the club were joined by willie brown and charlie adam , first team players who hed also volunteered there services.

I was given the task of painting out the advertising boards saints at the time had very few boards taken up by sponsors and the" extnict"ones had to be covered up.

As part of the deal we got a bar lunch in the club and as many pints as we could drink in about a 2 hour lunch break.Can you imagine the nick we were in some days for the afternoon shift? plus charlie and willie would think nothing about having a couple of smokes of the whacy backy,although that was never my thing.

It was after one of these lunch "time sessions" that i was asked to give the wooden hand rails round about the directors box in the old main stand a paint.so on i goes working away happy as a pig in the brown stuff when i stood back and kicked the 2 gallon paint pot all over the steps and wooden floor of the centre stand." What a fukcne mess" blue paint everywhere and a reserve game due later that day.we had to get sand to mop it.up. just a wee footnote before i end this story, the affore mentioned charlie adam , is the dad of the **** charlie adam

• 2 weeks later...

I remember going to watch reserve games at Muirton as a kid and there were decent crowds. These games were even advertised occasionally on billboards e.g. St.Johnstone XI vs. Aberdeen XI ....., and they were normally played at 3pm Saturday too. Memories.

Now we just hear from Messrs. Provan and Nicholas and the likes how we shouldn't even exist. Changed days. :)