Saints vs. Livingston 22/12/07

A very important win.

Great performance by Milne, Stanic played much better today as well, although this has nothing to do with him wanting a new contract.

We even managed to see a Dyron Daal cameo, missed a 1 on 1, went hairing after the ball, and went flying in at knee height trying to close the ball down.

Great day.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very enjoyable today. Their opener was disgusting; no marking, no organisation. If McManus is captain he must take more responsibility or give the captaincy to Ando. That said, we didn't panic, kept the ball below knee height and "played" ourselves into the lead. After that, no complaints.

The victory today was all the better for the fight and effort of Livi. I could have understood them dropping their heads at 4-1, especially with the way we attacked them but credit to them they fought hard and fair.

Couple of talking points; Rocco ran to the dugout when he scored - surely it's not his last goal for us? Who was TD speaking to on his mobile? Should Jacko have been left on to try and get a hat-trick? How selfless was Savo - passing twice when one on one? Credit to the ref for letting the foul go (in front of the dugout), playing advantage and then booking the centre-half.

On a personal level; hats of to Peaso. When Sandy Stewart played him on the left of a front three I was really unimpressed as I was convinced he didn't have the skill or effort to play in that position, today he was immense; quick footed, hard working, determined and crabbit in a manner which never saw him in any danger of being booked. Sorry, Peter.

After recent results, that was a very satisfying result with a great attacking performance to match - probably played some of our best attacking stuff this season today bar the cup final. Savo has such a brilliant ability to make central defenders s*** themselves with his swashbuckling style, and it really is fantastic to have him back. He is so unselfish too - I'd imagine if Peaso or Jacko had been on the ball for the build up to a couple of our goals they'd perhaps have tried to go themselves. Brilliant to see Wizard and Goran have good games too after some of the criticism that they've had recently. Sheerin was his majestic best today - the vision for some of his passes was incredible, as the guy behind me commented "If Lampard or Gerrard had played that pass, they'd be going on about it for weeks". He was making a lot of good holding tackles too. I've been a critic of Jacko's recently, just thinking him too lightweight, but his brace speaks for itself - well played young man.

All in all, if we don't make any headway on the leaders this season, hopefully if Del can encourage the players to put in shifts like this every week, we will be going in the right direction.

Herts

The victory today was all the better for the fight and effort of Livi. I could have understood them dropping their heads at 4-1, especially with the way we attacked them but credit to them they fought hard and fair.

Agreed. They went with the 3 at the back even at 5-1, and still tried to come forward when they could.

Herts

Well thats restored my faith a little.We looked great going forward and there was a fighting spirit throughout the team.I thought the formation worked superbly and Savo and Peaso we top men.On the down side. We still need to learn how to defend and as good as we were Livi were honking.But hey it,s Christmas, roll on Wednesday.

Oh! and was that the coldest it,s ever been at a game. I was so cold I thought about setting fire to my feet:idea:

Definitely a complete turnaround from last week - still a couple of issues (1st goal was a bad one to lose and Main still can't kick out :)), but the play from the midfield and front men was oustanding with everyone working for each other and closing down their markers.

I thought Craig looked really good today - picked up a strange booking but took his goal/sclaff well and some of his close play was good. Sheerin had his best game for a while and Savo and Peaso looked as good as ever.

Jacko proved he doesn't need Deuchar to create and put away chances and as for Rocco, we have to get him signed up now. He could be the difference between mid-table mediocrity and a chance.

Oh aye and as for Daal - I think he had more touches and shots in 5 minutes than Stewart has had in 3 months? 'Mon the Dyron :)

Can`t add too much to what ToS says.

Great result & well played after going one down Savo was great & Jacko worked his socks off scoring 2 & setting up another.Peaso gave the right back the runaround & and some on here were wanting us to sign him.

Sheerin had his best game this season & his vision is great. Rocco looked class & after shaky first 10 mins Craig showed up well.

No failures today but their first goal was a shocker.

Not sure if Livi were piss poor or we were good.

Livis defence was shambolic, made ours look good!

Still, a great performance by many and the perfect way to start the festive fixtures.

4-3-3 worked a treat with Sheerin central as opposed to Craig in the centre last week.

Peaso was doing some amount of damage on the left.

Dyron looked out to prove a point. A few more appearances from the bench and you never know...

Really good performance today,against a team that at least came to attack-think this always suits Saints,rather than teams sitting in.Seemed to be more energy and movement for each other and a willingness to work really hard for the team.Pleased for Del,that he seems to be getting performances out the players,great attacking play,everytime we had the ball,has the change of manager coincided with more attack minded tactics,played mostly on the deck??

Really good performance today even though livi werent good at the back. How much of our good passing and the goals, was because livi did come to perth today to win the game and try and play football? too many teams play saints looking for a draw and sit back and defend and are happy when they come away with 1 point and even happier if they can get a goal from a corner or a freekick.

Still glad to see there is a team there who can play good football and i actually enjoyed watching today!

Soooooooooooperb........Yes it beat shopping !!

Soon as i saw Dyron appear...i thought -oh no....but then with his first touch he NEARLY scored........Milne was brilliant - as was Quinn...Liam Craig played well....defence went to sleep twice tho.....As for the REF why does he see small infringements as bookings and serious infringments as "go away ".

Lets hope this is the beginning of a run now.

What a difference from the last few miserable weeks, Saints got in front in a game and the confidence just grew. Agree that Livi`s have a go atitude helped us and also agree that their defence was shocking but we played the game at a good pace throughout. Can`t even remember more than a couple of high balls out of defence.

The 3 forwards all played well with Milne superb and the midfield were far more involved today supporting the forwards and looking to pick the ball up from defence.

Must try and keep Rocco he was class throughout.

Great stuff yesterday, should have been more goals though. No complaints about anyone in the team with partucular credit due to Sheerin, Craig (although he needs to keep te head a bit), Stanic, Jacko, Peaso and Savo.

I still think the formation is flawed in that there's not enough support for the full backs when they get forward (or enough tracking back from the front two to let the full backs get to the byline) but I saw enough yesterday to suggest that with a bit of work this could work very well indeed.

My favourite bit of the whole game was the folk behind me who were singing "We are shit" at 1-0 Livi who were "Saintees til they die" by full time. Fickle much?

Just a side point, if you know the guy who was sitting a few rows behind me (yellow seats) who spent the whole game moaning about/booing Alan Main can you punch him hard in the face. Thank you.

Derek stick to 4-3-3, very uplifting if done right. keep working at it. Jackson looks the part. Merry Christmas!

I agree and the way they are working the 4-3-3 really means taht as soon as we lose posession it drops into a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 which gives the opposition defence a real problem, as they have no idea who they should be picking up.