Clyde vs. Saints 29/12/07

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all of that, and I believe every position in the team is open to strengthening if we can get players who are better. But I think McInnes will have a tough time attracting a better goalkeeper at the moment. Practically ever since Main left the first time around we've been trying to replace him without success - now it seems even he himself can't replace the original Main! We've had a couple of good ones in McGregor and Glennon, but couldn't keep them. I struggle to think of who we could go for now.

If we can get a better keeper than Main then we should go for it, but we're not going to be able to get anyone who doesn't make mistakes. And I don't see any point in dropping him for Cuthbert just for the sake of it - if Main's going to be dropped, it has to be for someone who is actually better.

Right again, all keepers make mistakes. It's the regularity of the mistakes and how costly they are to the team that is the important thing. As for Cuthbert if he got a game ( which I,m not saying he necessarily should) it would be as a result of Mains form, not just for the sake of it.Thats how it,s meant to work is it not. You play below your normal standard and then you get dropped and someone else takes over. If they play well they retain tha place if not and you are looking good in training and playing well in the reserves you win your place back. If thats not the case then the manager brings in new faces.Also I,m sure there are afew good young keepers out there who could do a better job than both the Cat and Main. The manager may or may not be going to move on them in the coming weeks. Only time will tell.

One other thing . There are different grades of mistakes. ie little ones ,medium ones and clangers which cost you goals. Big Als spending quite a bit of time with the Soup Dragon. To balance this , the Cat also spent some time there last season..He might still be there but surely it's time to find out.

Honestly even if the Cat ships a few dodgy goals it wont come as a shock as we've been shipping dodgy goals all season anyway.

kev name one thing productive that he done, he was close to being sent off, only won 2 headers allday, you were sitting infront off me so i know you seen the same game as me

He tired out their defence, gave them no time to settle, helped out very well in defence, was unlucky with his effort at the time and most of alll looked like he gave a damn... he's lacking in confidence and is perhaps over eager, but they'll come together if he keeps playing like that... well done Dyron, from being forgotten to that!

Your dead right , but the team that make the least mistakes will win the league. Every player has the potential to play badly. You just don,t want it week in week out.

McInnes knows this hence the rumour of getting in a new keeper, but he has to work with what he has, and we all have different opinions on who is better out of Main and Cat, and McInnes has the benefit of seeing them most days at training.

Main makes mistakes, so does Cuthbert (as will any goalkeeper that we are abe to sign)... simple!

he put the ball in for the defender to clear it of his own player and jacko to scramble to ball home

:roll: You spent far too much time eyeing up Mrs Lovenkrands (and I don't blame you) but that was a great cross into the danger area... how many times do we scream for someone to whip it in where it hurts?

I thought McManus won the header to set up Jackson, but even if it was the defender, it was one of those balls which are bloody difficult to defend... no wonder he couldn't clear it.

Surely you have to give credit where credit is due!??! Probbaly not, but it's worth a try!!

I'm surprised anyone can defend Main now. He has cost us almost a goal a game for 6/7 games from poor positioning alone. Granted, he has made some good saves (and gained us a point at Stirling) but all goalkeepers make good saves - even poor ones. The best goalkeepers are the ones that can catch a cross, make hard saves look easy and can kick even the most terrible back passes to safety. Unfortunately Main ticks none of those boxes anymore (for me anyway). However, we do have to realise that we are an SFL division 1 side - and perhaps we expect too much. He's not a bad keeper - however, I do believe cuthbert is better.

So the fact that he also made a good save counts for nothing? Is it only the negative aspects that get recognition? Main wasn't great yesterday - and I too think he is punching the ball far too often nowadays (he didn't used to do that when he was here before) - but he was nowhere near as bad as seems to be getting suggested.

I don't think any keeper in the league would have saved Clyde's goal yesterday. It was a fluke. The player himself probably didn't even mean it. These things happen, it doesn't matter who's in goal.

As others have said, yes he did make a couple of decent saves on Saturday but that is what he is paid to do. He has cost us more goals in the first half of this season than Cuthbert did for the duration of last season. His judgment and awareness have all but disappeared.

We cannot persist with some sentimental choice if he is going to keep shipping goals. Were you not at Firhill? Or the Morton game?

It's also having a clear impact on the defence. Their form is nothing like good enough but I think it's a real confidence issue and one borne out of the fact they have no faith in the person behind them. A defence will always be more shaky when they have little confidence in their keeper.

As for the claim of some that we have to replace him with someone better, I fully believe Cuthbert is a better keeper now. "Better" in my mind involves at least knowing where your bloody net is and it would therefore be better to play someone who isn't going to be such a liability. Any player constantly making poor and costly errors should be replaced.

As others have said, yes he did make a couple of decent saves on Saturday but that is what he is paid to do..

Using that logic, presumably nobody should ever get any credit- a striker scores a goal, that's what he's paid to do, a keeper makes a save that's what he's paid to do, a defender makes a tackle, a winger sends in a cross, etc etc. Should we only ever criticise and highlight the negatives?

He has cost us more goals in the first half of this season than Cuthbert did for the duration of last season. His judgment and awareness have all but disappeared.

We cannot persist with some sentimental choice if he is going to keep shipping goals. Were you not at Firhill? Or the Morton game?

No. I live in London so don't make that many games any more. I can only comment on the games I've seen, and in those I don't think I've seen Main make any huge errors. He's definitely looked a weaker keeper than the Main of old and the punching thing worries me. If we can get someone better, then we should definitely go for it. But I don't think Cuthbert's any better, and that has nothing to do with sentiment. I think it's fairly obvious that McInnes doesn't think Cuthbert's better either, and he works with him every day. In fact, the same is true of every manager we've had here who has worked with Cuthbert - the one thing that each one of them has agreed on is that he's not good enough. Surely that says something?

As for the claim of some that we have to replace him with someone better, I fully believe Cuthbert is a better keeper now. "Better" in my mind involves at least knowing where your bloody net is and it would therefore be better to play someone who isn't going to be such a liability. Any player constantly making poor and costly errors should be replaced.

I don't know what Cuthbert's current form is like, in training and bounce games etc, but again, McInnes is seeing him every day and clearly doesn't think it's up to much, otherwise he'd be playing by now ahead of Main who everyone seems to be pretty much agreed is now making quite a few mistakes.

I agree that anyone making constant mistakes should be replaced, but that doesn't automatically mean that any other option is better. I believe McInnes will sign a new keeper fairly soon, no matter what happens now. I just hope it's not another bloody loan signing.

No. I live in London so don't make that many games any more.

I agree that anyone making constant mistakes should be replaced, but that doesn't automatically mean that any other option is better. .

The other option is at this time unknown, but I,ve been to most away games and every home game this season so I do feel that I have seen enough to form a fair and unbaised opinion of our current goalkeeper. As stated previously( see past posts).

I believe McInnes is afraid to drop Main exactly because he,s a legend and he may think the fans will turn on him if he does and the Cat is no better.

Now is the time for brave men to make courageous decisions. Having said that I would probably not drop him for the Dundee game.But thats my heart speaking not my head....

My point, Blueheaven, is that he did some decent bread'n'butter stuff on Saturday but there was nothing he wouldn't be expected to deal with - including the goal. Of course we should highlight positives for a goalkeeper but when he is to blame for so many goals then that must also be addressed. Don't get me wrong, I'll get right behind him and the rest of the team from the start on Wednesday but he has to up his game.

The Cat must be throwing the ball into the net in training or something! Even if he doesn't look spectacular in training surely it's worth giving him a chance in place of someone who has been a liability of late?

Main is a legend at the club and he was a key factor (if not THE key factor) in Uefa Cup qualification but he is done now and we need to move on.

I hope we get someone else in soon and there are no more opportunites for Main's great reputation to be tarnished.