Saints vs. Dundee 02/01/08

dee4life

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picture on the official site of Ruti getting taken down by Palenik just before Dundee's goal - http://www.stjohnstonefc.co.uk/matchreport.asp?ResultID=353 - looks dodgy.

Thought i spotted that from the other end of the main stand but Kev never complained(not that he was in a position to) and esp since Craig never moaned(be never needs an excuse) so i assumed there was nothing in it. Anyway same old dundee...

1st half we lacked any urgency or desire that again only appeared once we went a goal down . Since DMc is tuning into Ranieri i had no idea what the line up would be on drive up but to hear Moon was on the bench was a disgrace! The long punts from the defenders have to stop but plus points are that their does not look like 12 points between the class in both teams.

Official site said it was 3-5-2 but looked like 4-4-2 from where i was sitting.

Main made some great saves today but that does not change my opinion that he has to be dropped for the Cat. His distribution is awful, constantly putting defenders under pressure. Does not come for enough cross balls.

Goran had good game. Kev was ok. McManus had a stinker(so Ando to partner Ruti from now on) Ando had an average game.

Irvine had good game getting stuck in but is not a mid-fielder so should revert to right back. i've been putting up with Craig and his moaning because he looked a decent footballer but even that was missing from his game today-his attitude is all wrong and only a matter of time before he gets sent off(Sheerin had to run 30yards across the pitch to tell him to stop shouting at ref). And Sheerin was again the only player trying to pass the ball along the ground until Moon came on. So those who moan about his lack of speed should shut up because he admits it himself he never has been pacy.

Peaso didn't have his best game and should have scored that header. Savo looked like the only goal threat and took his goal well. Jacko ran his heart out as usual but it jus was not his day should really have found his name on the score sheet.

Moon made big difference when coming on - his tackling an passing is always100% accurate and will be disappointed not to have started.MUST START NEXT WEEK. Was very impressed with McBreen also - a bit like a mobile Deuchar. - He looks like he'd bag a few if we had some width getting in crosses such as McLaren McCluskey or Weatherston but they don't seem to be part of DMc's plans. Daal had little time to make an impact but thought the script was gonna be wrote for him to become a cult hero but was not to be.

At least DMc had the balls to make the changes early enough - can just see the Burnley fans right now on edge of seats shouting "make the change". And just who was Owen watching today, doubt it was any of ours i'm assuming it was Kevin Mcdonald?

but surely with those 7 loses others would also be 2 points better off - possibly more if any draws were repeated against the same team. So we would be 1 point better off and others would be 2 or more better off - great logic!!:shock::!::idea:

Then allow me to enter into the amazing world of my logic.

I'll take my cue from games we lost the first goal as being ultimately lost, and a win for the games where we scored first.

For no score draws I'll say home wins.

I've split the two 2-2s with Morton as one win each since both teams had a lead in each game.

Queen of South 3-3 St Johnstone Loss

St Johnstone 2-2 Stirling Win

St Johnstone 1-1 Dundee Win

Partick 0-0 St Johnstone loss

Dunfermline 0-0 St Johnstone loss

Morton 2-2 St Johnstone Lose

St Johnstone 1-1 Clyde Loss

St Johnstone 0-0 Dunfermline Win

Partick 2-2 St Johnstone Loss

St Johnstone 2-2 Morton win

Stirling 0-0 St Johnstone Loss

St Johnstone 1-1 Dundee Loss

giving:

1 Hamilton 20 44

2 Dundee 20 42

3 St Johnstone 20 30

4 Dunfermline 20 28

5 Partick 19 28

6 Morton 20 25

7 Queen of South 20 25

8 Clyde 18 22

9 Livingston 20 20

10 Stirling 19 13

There's nothing that any 4 wins and 7 losses could do which would leave us in a worse position than we are in reality.

My fictional table there shows us a point nearer the leaders, and a point further away from the playoff.

Pretty poor game, with no player really sticking out for us. Stanic had a not too bad game, sheerin came in bursts and spurts and Main made some very good saves.

MacDonald of Dundee, is a very talented boy- and anything Dundee did came through him. Thought Moon did well against him when he came on and settled the midfield.

If we are going to play a 4-3-3 I would rather we played Willie and Weatherston than going with two strikers. MacDonald struggled out wide.

The defenders needed a midfielder to drop deep and take the ball from them- rather than the real long balls over the top!

Not even close to being good enough.

Long balls humped up to a small strikeforce, Main all over the place, a defence that didn't seem to know what they were doing (how many times did Ando and Irvine bitch at each other/shrug their shoulders in confusion?), Sheerin mastering the sideways pass that he's made his own and Peaso trying his best in a position that definitely doesn't suit him (if you're going to play wide left then you'd better be quick and able to take defenders on).

Not a lot between the sides but, unlike so many of our draws, we didn't deserve the 3 points.

McBreen looked quite sharp and physical when he came on and Stanic deserved his MoM award.

It's so frustrating when we all know Saints can be so much better if they'd just pass the ball on the deck.

Oh, and do you think someone could tell those half-wits in our colours that they are allowed to play on both sides of the pitch?!

I'll take my cue from games we lost the first goal as being ultimately lost, and a win for the games where we scored first.

I've split the two 2-2s with Morton as one win each since both teams had a lead in each game.

giving:

1 Hamilton 20 44

2 Dundee 20 42

3 St Johnstone 20 30

4 Dunfermline 20 28

5 Partick 19 28

6 Morton 20 25

7 Queen of South 20 25

8 Clyde 18 22

9 Livingston 20 20

10 Stirling 19 13

There's nothing that any 4 wins and 7 losses could do which would leave us in a worse position than we are in reality.

My fictional table there shows us a point nearer the leaders, and a point further away from the playoff.

What the **** is this all about ?

Poor game again, but at least we got the point. I thought Stanic was back to his best and Main made some vital saves. Savo did his usual impressive amount of running about, and good to see it paying off. Sheerin, for me, is still our most skilful player and he showed that again in this game, but doesn't have the presence to prevent the game from bypassing him at times. I don't think that combination of midfielders could ever work for us (the players are all decent individually, but the combination is all wrong).

Ando did his best but still doesn't look like a right-back - why play him there and not Irvine? McManus was alright but seems to be rapidly turning into the latest boo boy - pretty soon he won't be able to do anything right in the eyes of a lot of folk. In fact, perhaps he's already there. He has obvious limitations, but I don't think his presence is a big part of the problem. We've managed to play good football with him in the team in the past. Moon again looked a great prospect and shouldn't have been dropped.

If it was up to me I'd rest Jackson and play a more regular front pairing with any two from Milne, Peaso and McBreen for the next game. Jacko and Daal are both great to be able to bring off the bench though.

I didnt think that ando played right back i thought it was more of a

.......................Main......................

.....Ando.........Ruti..........McManus

Irvine.................................Stanic

..........Sheerin.........Craig.............

Jacko................................Peaso

................Savo........................

To start with anyway, then we took of craig and went 4-3-3

I don't want to labour the point as this is all hypothetical anyway, but there are permutations (of 4 wins and 7 defeats instead of 11 draws) that would leave us worse off. For example, if both Dunfy draws were defeats we would now be in 4th place. Or, if both Stirling draws were defeats we would now only be 14 points from bottom!

:D

I didnt think that ando played right back i thought it was more of a

.......................Main......................

.....Ando.........Ruti..........McManus

Irvine.................................Stanic

..........Sheerin.........Craig.............

Jacko................................Peaso

................Savo........................

To start with anyway, then we took of craig and went 4-3-3

It wasn't. We were clearly playing four at the back with Irvine, Sheerin and Craig in the middle as per the last handful of games. When Ando went off Irvine went to right back where he should have been at the start of the game.

As I've said before I don't really like this formation because it leaves the full backs too isolated. They are scared to push forward because nobody covers back for them because it's not clear who has that job - a midfielder or a striker. Equally the wide two up front are often left isolated when in possesion. I think Peaso plays the wide role quite well but Jackson continually drifts into the middle and seldom tracks back. I'd like to see Milne on the right on Saturday with McBreen playing in the central role and Jacko on the bench.

giving:

1 Hamilton 20 44

2 Dundee 20 42

3 St Johnstone 20 30

4 Dunfermline 20 28

5 Partick 19 28

6 Morton 20 25

7 Queen of South 20 25

8 Clyde 18 22

9 Livingston 20 20

10 Stirling 19 13

yeah and if your auntie had balls she would be your uncle

I don't have a clue what this thread is now about, so all I am going to say is this - At what point last season were we 15 points behind Gre£na?

I have a feeling that it was about this time or even later and I cannot be ar*ed to research it.

We are gonna win this league, and with the players we bring in during the window of opportunity, are gonna storm up the SPL and qualify for Europe again before too long.

Smashing stuff this Cockburns Port!