Saints vs. Raith Rovers 15/01/08

Scobby_SJFC

Workmanlike was the best way to describe it. There were some good individual performances but we struggled to get going as a team I thought (and again too many high long balls). Midfield seemed disjointed at times. Sheerin looked off-form but apparently was suffering from a cold. Mooner should have done better with the goals but he got into scoring chances and had a good game otherwise while Craig came onto a better game and Savo and Jacko both played well.

Raith seemed to suffer from losing the early goal and weren't able to push forward as much in the first half. Andrews looked good until Jacko started running at him but I was impressed by Templeton the no 11.

Overall good win though - gets a banana skin out of the way early

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hazels lover got kicked out at half time

They'll be crying in the streets of Raith tonight!

In short we were the better team. Jackson and Mooner looking great potentials and we acquired them from SJFC Youth team. Good balance to the team and I'm glad McInnes is continuing with the 4-3-3, it's the way forward and back (into the championship race).

Jim Spence looked as pleased as anybody when Huntly equalised. :)

I am glad we won and very glad that they were crap.

Still an awful lot of work to be done starting with some much sterner opposition, away this Saturday in the League.

Highlights were Mooner, Craig, McCaffrey (For his short spell), McManus, Jacko and Savo. Ruti was dreadful but fortunately (credit where credit is due), Main made a couple of good reflex saves which kept them out in the early stages. Sheerin was a pretty mixed bag again. And why oh why do we keep bringing on our pacy, top scorer from the 3rd division last season and then completely ignore him? Freshest pair of legs on the park and he is like a ghost. Seen him make a couple of blistering runs into space, simple pass and we've scored but no, its punted into the stand from 30 yards out. He starts out on the right, is ignored completely as all the tired players play it down the left. He moves to a central / leftish position and the ball is punted up and down the right! He does exist doesnt he? I am not imagining Davie Watherston , am I?

Saints played well against a poor Raith team and despite us carrying a few players.

Sheerin, Craig and Peaso were all poor IMHO yet we still won comfortably, with Jacko and Mooner the standouts for me. Irvine was his usual steady self and must be the buy of the season.

Alan preston was raving about how well Peaso had played.

And why oh why do we keep bringing on our pacy, top scorer from the 3rd division last season and then completely ignore him? Freshest pair of legs on the park and he is like a ghost. Seen him make a couple of blistering runs into space, simple pass and we've scored but no, its punted into the stand from 30 yards out. He starts out on the right, is ignored completely as all the tired players play it down the left. He moves to a central / leftish position and the ball is punted up and down the right! He does exist doesnt he? I am not imagining Davie Watherston , am I?

He even tried to change his name to Craig Weatherburn in the hope that folk wouldn't know it was him and pass to him :P

He even tried to change his name to Craig Weatherburn in the hope that folk wouldn't know it was him and pass to him :P

My missus turned round and said to me last night - 'Every time he gets on the park, you keep telling me how good this guy is, but how can you tell when they wont give him the bloody ball' :mad:

Proffesional performace and in all honesty we could of scored 6 or 7 with a bit of clinical finishing. Raith are no mugs, but they seemed very average compared to us yesterday evening.

Took advantage of the nice "discount" and moved (temporarily) across to the West stand just to see how the other half live with their plush seats - told to move as they were reserved for the "corporate businees folk" wow dont these "rock steady" stewards talk posh :mrgreen:

Anyway i thought our performance was more like a training session-since so many players didnt seem interested-Sheerin-Craig-Peaso to name a few- we were damn lucky that the Raith guy missed early on and as one old pensioner in front shouted Mcinness "we need wingers" -I suddenly had a longing to return to the East stand.

3-1 flattered Raith...but had everyone been more interested it could have been 6 or as Kevin(tannoy box) would say (SIX) :lol:

As for the reserved "corporate" seating.....16 people for about 50 seats. (FIFTY kev)

I'm happy enough with last night, did enough and we are through. 'Mon The Saints!

One wee aside, I asked a steward why we are not allowed to celebrate anymore... after the first goal she was asking people to sit down as soon as Raith took their centre... and apparently we are no longer allowed to celebrate after the game restarts... so if any future Saints scorers are reading this, please run into the net and punt the ball into the crowd so that we can have more than 45 seconds to enjoy ourselves for a change!!

Thought it was very comfortable, 3 nil up after an hour, many may forget the good effort all playes made in the 60 mins to get this scoreline. The last half hour was a good training session. First goal was critical and the long ball we had to score was immediate after what should have been a goal for the rovers. Yes :-) counter attack long ball football is superb!

We were quicker to the ball, sharper at closing down - good movement all round. I wonder if Im the only one who thinks there is a better spirit in the team? Good job! I would have cut someones hand off if they offered 3-1 final score.

good travelling support for midweek though.

Thought it was very comfortable, 3 nil up after an hour, many may forget the good effort all playes made in the 60 mins to get this scoreline. The last half hour was a good training session. First goal was critical and the long ball we had to score was immediate after what should have been a goal for the rovers. Yes :-) counter attack long ball football is superb!

I thought it was a superb pass by rustybits. It was definitely a deliberate pass as opposed to a hopeful punt up the park. I saw the goals on sky this morning - Savo took his goal really well.

I'm happy enough with last night, did enough and we are through. 'Mon The Saints!

One wee aside, I asked a steward why we are not allowed to celebrate anymore... after the first goal she was asking people to sit down as soon as Raith took their centre... and apparently we are no longer allowed to celebrate after the game restarts... so if any future Saints scorers are reading this, please run into the net and punt the ball into the crowd so that we can have more than 45 seconds to enjoy ourselves for a change!!

aye no worries mate ,