Saints vs. Queen of the South 11/03/08

SJFC1988-

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoght we dominated the whole game...i felt that to the build up to queens goal irvine was tripped??...why was main off his line....shouldnt have been beaten by that far out, was some lob by Dobbie though. The assault on Jacko was an absaloute disgrace and their no. 6 should have been sent off...animal:(

The double sub worked really well and peaso's 2nd was a fantastic goal..all in all it was a deserved victory and was pleasing to see moon come on and do well again:)

Weell Done Del

Main off his line again

It wasn't really Main's fault, I thought Irvine was fouled on the byline but good opportunist goal by Dobbie.

Saints strolled through the first half but failed to do anything with our possession, heck we rarely troubled their keeper. Going behind seemed to stir us into action and the injury to Jacko fired our players up even more. Morris looked a bit jaded after Saturday and we took control of the midfield again when Moon came on.

Quinn looked back to his best in the first half and could've scored in the second but for some woeful finishing

That was possibly one of the worst 70 minutes I have seen all season.Thank god for the last 20.First half Saints enjoyed huge amounts of time on the ball but did very little and when we got in front of goal our finishing was poor.Nuff said.

Second half was only slightly better but again we lacked composure in front of goal and were not helped by a poor main stand linesman who was frankly inept.Gave Rocco offside in a promising attack when he was at least 5 yards onside.Ando had been replaced at half time by Wilson and in a bit of a shuffle it looked to me like Sheerin was playing left back?????Still though we were getting nowhere and then the roof fell in.The Dobster out on the wing flung in a hopeful( maybe I,m being unfair)cross come shot and not for the first time Mr Legend was fecking about off his line and the ball flew over his head and into the left hand corner of the net.I will post my opinions on him in the Alan Main thread....Then Jacko got hurt, looked serious, was out cold I think. He was, after about 5 minutes, strechered off and was subsequently taken to hospital.Del then made a double substitution which turned the game for us. Weatherston and Moon came on and Saints finally came to life. Mc Donald who having a pretty poor game suddenly looked interested and in a grand stand finish he scored 2 goals. 1st was a scrappy goal( they all count) 2nd was a peach. Great turn and strike and the game was in the bag...

Now lets not kid ourselves, this was a poor game for Saints and I think some of the players were really shown up for what they are; not good enough..McManus and Rusty were fine defending but all they do is howf balls out of defence with little or no thought about finding a team mate.I think that they have little to offer in the way of skill or craft and as such should be punted as soon as is convenient for the club.

Moon and Davie looked great when they came on and both should be getting extended run to the end of the season.Three points collected but not very good sums up tonights game.Hope Jackos okay and suffers no long term absence and well done Del for making the changes you did.....

I thought Main was completely at fault for the first goal. Regardless of a foul in the build up or not (and I certainly thought it was) the referee didn't give it and the only reason Dobbie took the shot was because Main was so far off his line. Had he been further back, Dobbie would've been forced to make another choice. Great finish by Dobbie who has turned out to be a fine player for Queens but the goal could have been prevented.

The game had a spell of Saints good, then Saints bad, then Saints good again. We actually improved after Jackson and Morris went off. Weatherston and Moon completely dominated the game between them and put some life into the rest of the team. Even McManus and Rutkiewicz were up there enjoying some good chances. Moon is a great player to have on the bench at the moment. Thought McInnes' substitutions would never come but the man showed once again his tactical genius. Hell, even Sheerin at left back worked.

Well I actually feel pretty positive after that.

I thought we dominated the game and apart from a bad spell after we lost a goal (totally against the run of play) we looked comfortable and got the job done.

First half we missed an open goal - was it Jacko or Sheerin??

Then their defender made a great lunge to deny Jacko after a nice move.

Set pieces were poor but we knocked the ball around well enough.

2nd half was much of the same except for a bad spell, like I said, after their goal.

Gary Irvine may have been fouled but Main has been chipped again and has to shoulder some of the blame, apart from that I thought he had a good game.

The pressure finally paid off when Peaso scored an opportunist goal from a corner then had a great turn and drive in the box to win the match.

Totally agree with the sentiments regarding McInnes' decision making.

Think he picked the right starting 11 who dominated the game and relaly should have been ahead. When he needed to he changed things and it worked well.

What were peoples thoughts on Quinn?

Every time I watch him I feel differently, thought he offered us something different but he doesn't really seem that arsed, doesn't tackle and has large spells of absence.

When he's on song he can play a cracking pass but more often than not he's posted missing.

I'm a big fan of Liam Craig and hope we can keep him next season.

He can tackle, he's classy on the ball, makes things happen, can score and also takes a good set piece. Also, he seems totally fired up, maybe it's just his nature but it's good to see a player with that attitude, especially when he's on loan.

Pity he wasn't eligible tonight.

I thought Main was completely at fault for the first goal.

Tend to agree with that. Just think Doug Imrie for Clyde earlier this season and you'll get the picture.

Dominated the first half apart from 10 minutes or so. Never looked like scoring really.

Second half a bit livelier but still not particularly good.

Couldn't you just see their goal coming!

I'm not too sure who the young subs were (Weatherston one of them?), 16 and 17 anyway. Looked good and made a difference.

Challenge on Jackson was terrible!

All in all, made heavy weather of an ordinary Queens side.

Saints pretty much got the win they deserved, but took their sweet time about it.

We came out of the blocks well and created chances, with a Jackson header going close. Macdonald then had a shot well saved and then with the goal gaping Jackson screwed a shot wide. There was also a damn good block to prevent Jackson tapping into an empty net when Macdonald set him up. Queens had a couple of efforts saved low by Main, but Saints had more ball and chances.

Saints kept up the possession in the early stages of the second half without creating much, but inevitably fell behind with Queens first shot of the second half. Dobbie chased down Irvine out wide, and to me it looked like he basically clattered into the back of him and knocked him over. Ref didn't blow his whistle and Dobbie smashed a quite supberb shot into the top corner frmo practically on the touchline, with Main stranded as he had come out to take a back pass from Irvine.

We battled back and forced a succession of corners (we must have had at least 10 in the game), and had another shot cleared off the line. We finally went ahead when a corner was cleared only to Wilson, whose header hit the upright before Macdonald fired it home.

Macdonald added a second when he controlled well on the edge of the box, spun and drilled a great shot into the far corner - a very good goal.

One bad point though - Queens number 6 hospitalised Andy Jackson when he clattered him from the back. Hard to see exactly what happened so no idea if it was a bad challenge or what, but Jackson was down for a considerable time and was taken away in an ambulance.

I think that just about covers it Morientis.

Impressed with Del. He was about to bring Mooner on when Jacko got assaulted & had to be carried off. Some may have been tempted to get Mooner to put his track suit back on & bring Davie on for Jacko but he stuck with his sub of Mooner for Morris & also brought on Davie,Brilliant & brave.

Mooner really is a great wee player.Controlled the midfield ,cool on the ball ,won every tackle & never missed a pass. Davie played really well on the left proving he is a footballer that can use both feet & comfortable on the ball.

Main GTF.

I'm starting to wonder what the **** people want Main to do.

On Saturday he had to race out, because by staying on his line he is sayign to Dorman to pick his spot in a corner as he races in. You have to come out there - there are no two ways about it.

And tonight he was miles off his line beacuse he was looking for a backpass frmo Irvine. Or would you rather he stayed rightr on his line and our right back has to take on the defender to get out of trouble? Do you people actually watch the game?

Main was lobbed at Clyde and got a helluva lot of stick there - that one was a total fluke and again went right in the top corner. Just because a keeper gets lobbed does not mean he is at fault for the goal.

Get a ****ing grip.

I'm starting to wonder what the **** people want Main to do.

On Saturday he had to race out, because by staying on his line he is sayign to Dorman to pick his spot in a corner as he races in. You have to come out there - there are no two ways about it.

And tonight he was miles off his line beacuse he was looking for a backpass frmo Irvine. Or would you rather he stayed rightr on his line and our right back has to take on the defender to get out of trouble? Do you people actually watch the game?

Main was lobbed at Clyde and got a helluva lot of stick there - that one was a total fluke and again went right in the top corner. Just because a keeper gets lobbed does not mean he is at fault for the goal.

Get a ****ing grip.

Totally agree!!!

What were peoples thoughts on Quinn?

Every time I watch him I feel differently, thought he offered us something different but he doesn't really seem that arsed, doesn't tackle and has large spells of absence.

When he's on song he can play a cracking pass but more often than not he's posted missing.

quinn made plenty of good tackles today.

quinn made plenty of good tackles today.

He won a couple of tackles tonight.

At other times I think he went in half hearted and got the break of the ball a few times.

Don't get me wrong, looking at the guy you can tell he has class, his touch is second to none (especially when doing keepy ups when play has stopped).

But he looks like he thinks he's too good for us, swanning about at his own pace, refusing to play a simple pass to the strikers feet and trying a world cup pass.

Maybe ability wise he is a step above the division but it makes him look as if he's not trying and I don't think we get that much end product out of him.

Tonight was one of his better games I feel, when he was in the game.

But he was absent more often than he was in it.

Agree that he was onside for that 1 on 1 and if he'd scored it probably would have changed my view on him tonight.

Thought we showed a lot of fight tonight and if the finishing and passing had been better in the 1st half we'd have cruised it. As it was another daft flukey goal lost and we ended up chasing the game but at least managed to start playing the ball on the deck and fighting for it.

Two good goals from Peaso but I thought the whole team did their part tonight. Irvine was excellent on the right and Rocco showed signs of regaining his earlier form.

Maybe ability wise he is a step above the division but it makes him look as if he's not trying and I don't think we get that much end product out of him.

If he really is a step above then he should prove it. He wasn't a success at Killie or Celtic and he won't be a success here either unless he gets the finger out.

I pretty much agree with the rest of what you say. He definitely has periods in a match where he plays some lovely passes and gets involved in the play but that probably adds up to only 20% of the actual game. I'm not convinced that's enough. To give him his credit tonight was his best game for weeks but performances like tonight wouldn't justify offering him a contract for next season IMO.