Livingston vs. Saints 15/03/08

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good performance today, I thought the 442 formation looked pretty solid. Great goal from Rocco absolute screamer, we had some incredible misses. Alan Main also had some great saves.There number 3 should have been sent off after what he said to the linesman but the linesman bottled it. Sheerins doing a good job at left back.

Good solid performance and after we scored we never looked like losing. Two good goals from Rocco - 2nd was a rocket:) Defence played well (Sheerin was a good left-back) but midfield seemed to sit too deep early on. Can't complain about winning there though - one of the most dour grounds in Scotland.

BTW Livi's no9 has to be in for Poser of the Year :)

I thought the game started fairly evenly with both sides looking lively. However, when Saints broke the deadlock the Livi players heads went down and didn't really look like getting an equaliser as Saints started to dominate. However, Livi did have a chance to take the lead when Anderson made a fantastic tackle to keep it at nilnil.

Rocco's first came after Stewart comitted himself to coming out for the ball, Rocco got there first, knocked the ball over him and cheekily tapped it in the net to ensure it was over the line. Second was an absolute cracker after a period of pressure in the Livi goal, ball out to Rocco 25yards out, bang, in the net with Stewart left stranded. Quality.

Lots of chances missed by Saints who could really have won 4-0 at least against a poor Livi side. Main didn't have much to do but made an outstanding reflex save. Thought our defence looked a little fragile today, and Anderson is going to be a severely missed on Tuesday. Thought Anderson, Quinn, Irvine, Craig and Peaso were fantastic today and worked very well together. Could probably add Morris to that list though and went a bit quiet in the second half but done the work where it was needed and put himself about. Is Stanic injured?

Must add that Robert Snodgrass looked ok today, and the victim of 'fashion' number 9 looked like he has real potential to be a good player. Pacy, few good turns...just a shame about the hair and the footy boots. Nonce!

What a pleasant day out!

Despite missing Rusty and Goran, we lined up in an orthodox 4-4-2

Main

Irvine – McManus – Ando – Peanut

Wilson – Quinn – Morris – Craig

Jacko – Peaso

When we utilised our width, Livi were pulled all over the place and were unable to compete against us; when it went through the middle, Livi had enough grit to make life difficult in spells.

Our first goal was a great lesson to some of our players, Rocco included, that closing down usually brings rewards Our second was just brilliant individualism – something that should have been a more regular feature of our midfield this season.

With the usual exception of McManus, whose attitude continues to endear me to him; only Peanut had a sub-standard game, and with some justification given he was playing left back. In all honesty, if most of us had been told that Peanut would be playing at left-back we’d have feared the worst but he really didn’t play too badly.

In midfield, Wilson didn’t see enough ball but when he did was reasonably productive, Rocco drifted (as ever), Morris looks ever sharper and Craig was his usual tenacious self.

Up front, Jacko played out an SPL Curriculum Vitae, whilst MacDonald looked hungry for a goal.

Savo looked good when he came on, Davie could do nothing in the few minutes he got. As for Mr Moon, I’ll let others comment.

I have argued for 4-4-2 since Del took over for two reasons. It provides freedom (of movement and passing options) and protection to the full backs and it allows us to control midfield. I fear today was simply a one-off because Peanut was left-back but I really hope I’m wrong. Rocco looks so much better, Peaso looks so much better, Irvine looks so much better and none of the players appeared to struggle with it. Long may it continue.

4-4-2 was a necessity due to Paul Sheerin playing left back. Goran Stanic copes with the exposure of a 4-3-3 but Sheerin wouldn't have. Both formations have their plus points. The only downside of playing a 4-4-2 is that one of the strikers has to drop to the bench and I fear it would be Savo every time. Peaso does a lot more work, and Jackson is every bit as good - and more prolific - a finisher than Savo. It's almost criminal to leave any of them out, so the 4-3-3 is a good formation for us.

4-4-2 was a necessity due to Paul Sheerin playing left back. Goran Stanic copes with the exposure of a 4-3-3 but Sheerin wouldn't have...Peaso does a lot more work, and Jackson is every bit as good - and more prolific - a finisher than Savo.

Goran copes with 433 and excels with 442. Can't agree about Peaso working harder than Savo.

Great Performance from saints today. Honestly, trying to think of all the really good chances we had of the top of my head and i counted at least 6 chances that really should have resulted in a goal. Quinn in on the keeper, Wilson in on the keeper, Craig in the first minute side footing wide from about 8 yards, Peaso trying to bring it down in 2nd half in 6yds box etc.

If it was 6 or 7, they would not have had any complaints.

Special mention for alan main - didnt have his busiest game ever but when needed, was as reassuring as ive seen him this season.

My main concerns, Lack of Left back, sheering is not the answer and McManus (think been a great servant for us but feel he is a ticking timb bomb ready to go off - making far too many mistakes these last few games)

Brilliant performance today - 2 great goals from Rocco and he seemed up for this game-even taking time out to ask the saints fans to chant his name.

Must praise the assistant referee in front of us tho - particularly due to his banter with the livvy No 3 - who talked himself into a booking.!

Their No 9 looked a good wee player -although he never ever looked like scoring.

Livvy "drummer" was pretty quiet - but the "tannoy guy" made up for it. ( god that was loud.)

Brilliant performance today - 2 great goals from Rocco and he seemed up for this game-even taking time out to ask the saints fans to chant his name.

Must praise the assistant referee in front of us tho - particularly due to his banter with the livvy No 3 - who talked himself into a booking.!

Their No 9 looked a good wee player -although he never ever looked like scoring.

Livvy "drummer" was pretty quiet - but the "tannoy guy" made up for it. ( god that was loud.)

Almost as bad as our "tannoy guy"................ just shows you though, not only us that has a "tannoy guy" who tries to turn it into their show so they can hear themself etc

The midfield is unrecogniseable from early season and the team is doing much better for it. Might be too hard to catch Hamilton this year with their home advantage giving them most likely enough points to stay top. Sounds like Livingston were smashed today and at their ground thats a great effort.

Good to see Saints doing so well though, and if the majority of the squad can be kept surely looking good for next season.

and the victim of 'fashion' number 9 looked like he has real potential to be a good player. Pacy, few good turns...just a shame about the hair and the footy boots. Nonce!

Temple and I were considering the same thing during the game. Came to the conclusion he was a poor man's Jacko. Griffiths has intent but no end product - Jacko on the other hand...

C**p hair colour though, I'll give you that. His head looked like a peroxide blonde coconut.

Well i must be the odd one out here. I thought Livvie had long periods of possension but seemed content to hoof it towards goal from 20/30 yards. When they got into our box they did look dangerous. Saints really need to start burying those chances and killing teams off it just keeps on biting us. Dave McKay is a class act when he ventures forward he always looks dangerous.

Mcmanus makes me so nervous every time he gets the ball you cringe the guy just cant pick a pass out. Saints did play well though but for those who say livvie were never in the game are wrong.

Special mention to Main again though did everything asked of him with ease long may it continue. oh well late night to junkie paradise on tuesday oh the joys

A thoroughly deserved win, although we should have had 5 or 6.

Peaso was outstanding again today, won everything even though 2 Livi defenders were marking him, McManus was a completely different player- one of his best games for Saints as he controlled the defence and did not panic once, he was unlucky not to score too after a looping header went just wide of the post.

Rocco had an amazing game, shades of his true quality and by his reaction, you can tell he is really enjoying playing for us.

Sheerin had a good game at left back, robbed their domestos no 9 a few times when he was about to shoot.

What a laugh it was ripping the pish out of their left back, what a complete clown he was, he was having an absolute stinker as well.

That Domestos shampoo'd Livi player was awful, couple of neat tricks and turns but then just melts the ball either 10 yards over the bar or 10 wide, you don't need to defend against strikers like that.

The Livi players did not enjoy what the support were throwing at them, Dave McKay was RAGING!

What was the crowd at the game? The Livi support was awful, I wonder if the Livi supporting lottery winner was there, or can he afford the gate prices? He guaranteed some loans for Livi and has almost lost every penny he won as the banks have called the loans in.

Feel sorry for the guy because he has totally been taken for a ride by the Livi chairman, I wonder how many Livi fans turned up to see the team which 'gubbed' Hibs 2-0 in the CIS cup final?

All in all a great day out, to whoever was whistling when the coppers were walking past down the front of the stand- good on you, great laugh.

Best away day of the season so far.