Saints vs. Clyde 25/03/08

Rodgers

I thought we played some excellent football in the second half and in doing so created so many chances that we could have won 3 games. 2 missed pens in a match is unforgiveable.

I agree but at the same time it was another case (like the QoS game a couple of weeks ago), where we didn't start well and ended up chasing the game - that IMHO has been our biggest problem this season. Saints are a good footballing side when we're on the attack (as the last 20-30 mins showed last night or in the Accies win at McD) but the problem is too often we only start playing like that when we're behind.

Del's comments in the paper today about the first 25 minutes being very poor almost sum up the season. We don't get off to a quick start and instead seem to settle for a pressing finish.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

aarrgghh, the usual drivel from those not at the game, plus the scapegoat searching from some of those that were. Just about everyone agrees that we created lots of chances, even before going behind, so how can you say we played pish? Had we lost this game and not created chances then it would be different. Every now and again you get a game when you know whatever you do you aint gonna score - we've seen it time and again with teams better than St J. It is disappointing yes, but to let that disappointment make some spout pish says more about that person.....so there!! :razz::wink:

When a team makes wholesale changes then the first few minutes of the game are going to be difficult. When the fans don't get behind the team then it is even harder. There was barely any singing throughout the game....why? The easy answer is to say the team did not inspire any singing. OK, so why was there none before/as the game started?

One of the problems for me last night, particularly in the first half, was the use of the high ball. Del had obviously heard about Clyde's problems at the weekend in dealing with the long ball and instructed the team to employ this tactic, however, this didn't work and, IMO, he didn't change this tactic early enough.

When we did get the ball on the deck and played through them, Clyde couldn't cope with it and that is where our chances came from.

I agree that Cameron should not get near our first team. Although it is never nice to see a player get injured, it was actually a blessing that he was, as it got him off the park.

Wilson was also anonomous and Sheerin is not a left back, however, Moon, Rusty and Wetherston had decent games for us.

I agree that it was simply a case that Clyde wanted it more than us, however, for their first goal, it was some pretty poor defending as the guy ran right accross our back line without a challenge.

If you miss 2 penalties in a game, you don't deserve to take anything from it.

Just about everyone agrees that we created lots of chances, even before going behind, so how can you say we played pish? Had we lost this game and not created chances then it would be different.

Personally speaking I wasn't too bothered about losing that, apart from home record going. What I was annoyed about was the lack of fight on display first half. Fair enough meaningless game, but people have payed to come and see it so they can put some effort in. Expect they got a bollocking at half time though, as it was better second half.

Alan Preston says Adam Monaghan missed one for Clyde from a yard out in the last seconds. Either he means someone in a Clyde shirt, or Saints missed a sitter. Doesn't look like it was destined to be our night.

Preston also kept saying that Craig missed a penalty against St.Mirren last week after his miss last night. Had a lot of time for him as a player but as a "pundit" he is rotten.

2 pens and none converted?!

I would now like to see our strikers take the penalties up. Whats wrong with the old striker nets 10 penalties a season. Andy Johnson done it for Crystal Palace before going to the Mighty Everton.

Only a thought, Sheerin now missed 2 in as many weeks. Throught Craig would've stuck his away.

Big Boo tho, cup semi to look forward to now.