The "Credit Crunch" and Football

O'Rourke

I said it on another thread......our beautifull game is going to change, and soon!"

AIG and Manchester United!

How many clubs are set to lose their sponsors?

Maybe this won't affect Brand Manchester United, but what about "lesser" lights such as our beloved heros? I mentioned a few months back about the trials and tribulations of George Wimpey!

Troubled times ahead I fear.

My advice, for what it's worth, invest in youth big style. Give TC and his troops big support because there are going to be casualties in the game we love over the next wee while.

It wasn't so very long ago we aspired to be in the BANK OF SCOTLAND Premier League!

i noticed that neither west ham nor west brom had sponsors in last saturdays game, does anyone know why west brom did not have one?

West Brom haven't been able to reach an agreement with any company to sponsor their shirt, which seems ridiculous when you consider the exposure that comes with promotion to the Premier.

Am I correct in saying Zoom (the now defunct airline) sponsored Motherwell? Noticed their tops had the sponsor blacked out last night. I know there's the alcohol sponsorship ban in France but, despite the fact it should be Buckfast, didn't think Well had a booze-related sponsor.

'Well were sponsored by Zoom as they were part owned by John Boyle, surprise surprise. They're now sponsored by a betting company, which may also be subject to a ban in France?

'Well were sponsored by Zoom as they were part owned by John Boyle, surprise surprise. They're now sponsored by a betting company, which may also be subject to a ban in France?

Looks like you're spot on mate. Toulouse had to remove 888.com from their shirts a couple of years back apparently. No fun those Frenchies!

I long for the day when the banks start to claw back the cash from football. We've had the days when the club was king and the players had a raw deal, now it's turned on it's head with the players walking away with the cash.

We badly need some balance and a better deal for the fans.

I'd like to see fair wages, meaningful contracts,club loyalty.................OH! and Christmas every second year:)

• 6 months later...
No we cant, we would have been in a sorry state. On the bronze statue, for me there is only one Geoff Brown.

The man should have been the chairman of hbos he would have seen it coming.This man will forever be known as Mr st. johnstone.Due to the boards excellent managment of our club in 10 years we COULD be in the top 3 stable clubs in this country!And that could lead us to some of the good times.FOOTBALL IS ABOUT TO CHANGE AND THE SAINTS ARE READY BRING IT ON.............................!

i agree with all the pro Geoff Brown comments wholeheartedly

our financial stability could attract players to our club in the long run, players dont have any loyalty these days, their only loyalty is to their wage packet !! if they know they are going to get paid every week they might just fancy joining us.

Geoff has been called tight in the past, but he has done well by us, we should all be grateful to him, we are in a good place right now :laugh:

Geoff has been called tight in the past, but he has done well by us, we should all be grateful to him, we are in a good place right now :laugh:

As you say he's not tight at all. Just clever. If he was tight we wouldnt have signed Jason Scotland or Jody Morris.

The man has set us apart from the rest and that is something we can all stand up proud and proclaim.

VIVA LA GEOFF BROWN!!!!

No we cant, we would have been in a sorry state. On the bronze statue, for me there is only one Geoff Brown.

i must admit a good few years back when clubs around our size were spending loads/ higher wages i was, one of many who hated him for it.

however i have to say im older and wiser and Mr Brown was spot on. hats off to him!

i must admit a good few years back when clubs around our size were spending loads/ higher wages i was, one of many who hated him for it.

however i have to say im older and wiser and Mr Brown was spot on. hats off to him!

Unfortunately there were a few like you & not long ago either.

This man saved our team & I am surprised he has never been nominated for an MBE at the very least.

Been interesting to see the comments on sponsorship. I have recently been impressed with what Villa have done with Acorns Childrens Hospice being the name on the shirt, with the club paying them for the privelage, similar to Barca with UNICEF.......Could this morality possibally catch on with some of the bigger and richer clubs in Europe? Do you ever think the Old Firm "Franchise" would have the balls to do such a move?

Must say also, im pleased to see all the Pro-Geoff Brown Comments.it goes without saying that The guy has been as importiant, if not more than any individual player or manager since he has held the reins. If you considder all the idiots that have hung about various football board rooms at clubs over the years, such as Celtic, Dundee, Livingston, and Hearts to name but few, its nice to know we have some one who is of sane mind and actually cares about the club he holds shares in, rather than trying to milk it like a cash cow then run away!

If only the SFA board had more pelople like geoff on it, scottish football would be in a much better state!!!

Maybe a few clubs will suffer and die as they always have but football won't die. The greatest recession the world has ever seen to date was the 1930's and the record books show this was the time of highest attendances e.g. 149,000 between Aberdeen and Celtic - Cup Final. Now for the crowds to come back in a recession we need a bit of common sense when it comes to pricing in possibly a new environment.