#17 - 15/11/08 - Clyde (a)

Clyde could really do with builing a social club because I reckon they'd get alot more away fans turning up if they knew they could get a swaly.

There is a good pub only 5 minutes (at most) from the ground called the Broadwood Farm, or 15 minutes walk to Balloch you will find the Smiddy Inn.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the topic in hand.

I am slighty worried about bad omens that this fixture has and the jinx manager of the month puts on us, plus the fact that we seem to have a few folk getting a wee bit carried away with the fact that we're a whole 4pts clear. There has already been talk of playing in the SPL next season almost as soon as we went top. Can I just remind people that it aint over till it's over, We can all remember quite clearly what happened two seaons ago! We were 120 seconds from playing SPL the next season not over 120 days.

I'm not sure if it's still true but Cumbernauld used to be one of the only places with above average earnings and below average house prices.

I sort of disagree though that those areas are that nice - they always seem to me to be just a collection of houses built on a gloomy moor. It all seems to be like Broadwood, a bit soulless.

Yeah, it's still true. The housing is cheaper because of the stigma attached to the Town's name. However, it's an ideal place for commuting into Glasgow so attracts mainly young professionals.

One of the drawbacks to living here is its proximity to both the Old Firm teams training complexes (Milngavie and Lennoxtown), and subsequently quite a number of their players now live in the surrounding areas.

I do see your point about the 'gloomy moor' factor though. The Northern and Eastern parts of town are built on moors and fields, which are hardly areas of natural beauty, though the houses are nice. However, the view onto the Campsie Hills aren't bad and as long as you live on my side of the M80, you will never see a ned wandering the streets.

New towns like Cumbernauld, Livingston and East Kilbride will never have the same charm as established cities like Perth, Stirling and Inverness due to the fact that modern houses just aren't as nice as 100 year old houses. However, its still a good place to live with good housing and transport links.

Agree with the voices saying that Morris or Mooner should come in for Swankie and I think Paul Sheerin would be the first to admit games against Clyde don't always suit him, as there is little football played. Very rare that I don't find a spot for Sheerin but if Smith signs (still not convinced on this one) then I'd consider moving Craig into midfield.

Morris will probably play for the reserves tonight against Arbroath so would imagine that he'll likely start on Saturday. Its a tough call to drop Sheerin. Even though the game doesn't suit him, I think the team looks more settled when he's playing and he's good at getting the ball and keeping possession

the last time i was at broadwood saints won 3-2, all 5 goals came from headers and paul bernard grabbed a last minute winner :cool:

the time before that was the challenge cup final against stranraer :neutral:

still wondering whether i should make an appearance or not, always a shite day out.

I imagine this will be a very similar game to county on saturday, only difference being clyde need to get a run together rather than being on one. Keeping the faith and going for 1-0 saints, about time chris millar got a goal. Cmon sunbed chris!!

i think the last time i was at broadwood was for a must win game, we had an urgency about us to grind out a 1-0 win it wasnt pretty but needs must! it set us up nicely to beat qos the following week before THAT game:( , more of the same as i reckon clyde are a good side on there own patch and am very sure big jb will have them fired up, its not gonna be pretty again but the result is more important than the performance this time.

Would happily take a scrappy 1-0 win here. Never a big fan of games away at Clyde, it's always bloody freezing! I said before the County game that if we could go into the Dundee game with a lead of 3 points or more at the top I'd delighted, and hopefully that is something we can achieve!

If we do bring in Smith (I personally think it is unlikely), then I would probably move Craig forward to left midfield, and put either Sheerin or Morris in the middle with Hardie, and Millar on the right. Irvine, Ruti and Caff (if fit, otherwise Ando) complete the backline, with Holmes and Savo up front.

It is good that we have options at the moment. My midfield is missing the likes of Swankie, Mooner and either Sheerin or Morris - all of whom could easily stake a place for inclusion and all of whom have featured positively in the last couple of games. We also have Samuel or Macdonald to come off the bench if things aren't going quite right up top. Good times.

Don't want to get ahead of ourselves of course, but it is another game we need to be looking to win. They are bottom of the league and by all accounts playing terribly. Just hope our winning sequence doesn't come to an end at Broadwood!

There is a good pub only 5 minutes (at most) from the ground called the Broadwood Farm, or 15 minutes walk to Balloch you will find the Smiddy Inn.

There's a few in Condorrat, where my wee brother goes to school, but Broadwood Farm is a Brewers Fayre type establishment and is hardly what I would call a proper boozer.

Would happily take a scrappy 1-0 win here. Never a big fan of games away at Clyde, it's always bloody freezing! I said before the County game that if we could go into the Dundee game with a lead of 3 points or more at the top I'd delighted, and hopefully that is something we can achieve!

If we do bring in Smith (I personally think it is unlikely), then I would probably move Craig forward to left midfield, and put either Sheerin or Morris in the middle with Hardie, and Millar on the right. Irvine, Ruti and Caff (if fit, otherwise Ando) complete the backline, with Holmes and Savo up front.

It is good that we have options at the moment. My midfield is missing the likes of Swankie, Mooner and either Sheerin or Morris - all of whom could easily stake a place for inclusion and all of whom have featured positively in the last couple of games. We also have Samuel or Macdonald to come off the bench if things aren't going quite right up top. Good times.

Don't want to get ahead of ourselves of course, but it is another game we need to be looking to win. They are bottom of the league and by all accounts playing terribly. Just hope our winning sequence doesn't come to an end at Broadwood!

There are a round of fixtures for the other teams before we play dundee. the others play on a tuesday for some reason, we are the game when we play dundee. being 4 points ahead before that game is out of our hands

Tough game this one! I'd take a 1-0 right now! We know this is a must win, as Livi, Pars, QoS and Dundee are all playing each other so hopefully we'll make the gap even bigger. A win here would help the nerves for Dens because they're getting back into the swing of things and it will be probably our most difficult game of the season when we go there.

I'd go with;

Main

Irvine Craig Rutkiewicz Caff (Ando)

Swankie Millar Hardie(although it pains me to say it! :P) Sheerin

Savo Sammy

Kelly Sherlock Moon Morris Ando (Caff or Morgan)

I hope Caff's fit!!

What's this rubbish about Smith! He's not going to come to us, end of! We can't afford him, and we're not a big enough club. :)

There's a few in Condorrat, where my wee brother goes to school, but Broadwood Farm is a Brewers Fayre type establishment and is hardly what I would call a proper boozer.

True. Its changed hands lately and is one of those pub/carveries. Its a pint and its 5 minutes from the ground though. The smiddy is a decent boozer.

There are a round of fixtures for the other teams before we play dundee. the others play on a tuesday for some reason, we are the game when we play dundee. being 4 points ahead before that game is out of our hands

Sorry there are two games on Tuesday 25th but the teams we are interested in play on Saturday 22nd.

Saturday, 15 November 2008

Clyde v St Johnstone, 15:00

Dundee v Queen of South, 15:00

Livingston v Dunfermline, 15:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, 22 November 2008

Airdrie Utd v Ross County, 15:00

Dunfermline v Morton, 15:00

Partick Thistle v Livingston, 15:00

Queen of South v Clyde, 15:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, 25 November 2008

Morton v Airdrie Utd, 19:45

Ross County v Partick Thistle, 19:45

Saturday, 29 November 2008

Dundee v St Johnstone, 15:00

just corrected my error, all the others play sat 22nd. We dont play that week for reasons unknown to me

Dundee United are at home that day, so obviously Dundee can't play the same afternoon. Fortunately, the following weekend is the third round of the Scottish Cup, for which Saints and Dundee both have byes, meaning we can meet then.

Dundee United are at home that day, so obviously Dundee can't play the same afternoon. Fortunately, the following weekend is the third round of the Scottish Cup, for which Saints and Dundee both have byes, meaning we can meet then.

cheers for clearing that up. So we will know what we need to do before the Dens Game, can only be a good thing.

...Agree with the voices saying that Morris or Mooner should come in for Swankie and I think Paul Sheerin would be the first to admit games against Clyde don't always suit him...

Mods - can we have this infidel horse-whipped outside the 208 please. Attacks on the Prophet are far too frequent on these boards. A fatwah on Rads please?

We should win... form and league placings all say so, but Clyde have often been our nemisis...

If we went into this game on such a good run, but playing classic sexy football, then I'd be very worried, as Clyde like to mix it... but most of our wins have needed some kind of fight, which should stand us in good stead for this one.

With Dundee v QOS and Livi v Dunfermline... that means at least two of the four teams that could challenge us will be dropping more points... another good Sunday looking at the table, me thinks!