Edinburgh Recommendations

saint jason

is the Dalmany bar still on the go,what was the name of the bar at the bridge opp the bingo

Oh yes. I believe the Dalmeny is still open for business. As for the other one, it could be The Volunteer Arms..........great for a first date:). And then, of course, there is the delights of Great Junction Street. Minto's (sadly now closed) very "lively". The Tam O'Shanter-nice if you are looking for a "Bobby Moore", or The Marksman-if you want to be stabbed or shot.

As someone said to me the other night, "it is great to be a Leithiopian".

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
drove past Robertsons bar in Gorgie tonight and noticed that it was shut down and up for sale - the credit crunch must really be hitting the Jambos hard! :laugh:

Noticed that a fortnight ago - surely that must be a nice wee earner? It's usually stowed on match days and that would be your bread and butter along with rugby internationals and other Murrayfield stuff (e.g. the Rugby League and the Heineken cup final this year). Anything else you earn would be pocket money, no?

• 1 year later...
I see Diggers is showing the Man U Chelsea game in 3D next weekend.

That will be quite the shock for all the old boys playing dominoes through the back! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anyone else know any where showing games in 3D? or anyone watched one in 3D yet?

3D games are available at football grounds the length and breadth of the British Isles every week, or so I'm lead to believe.

3D football on tv has the distinct whiff of computer geek nerdom. Ideal for the Premiership then.

Edited by saint jason

I see Diggers is showing the Man U Chelsea game in 3D next weekend.

That will be quite the shock for all the old boys playing dominoes through the back! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anyone else know any where showing games in 3D? or anyone watched one in 3D yet?

The Three Sisters are showing it - not sure if it will be indoor or on the big screen in the beer garden.

Sportsters showed the 3D game recently.

Interestingly, my mate was in Mathers the other week and said they were fitting new tv's. He was wondering if this was the reason

Nah.

They are fitting a new steel bucket under one of the urinals to catch the overflow of pish though...it's in 3D.

The last twice I have been in Mathers it has been "dead" Is this now normal or have I just been unlucky? Not the same boozer without the buzz of plenty punters.

Nope, it is generally moribund bar friday nights, saturdays, and fitba.

Lacks character, personality and the ability to spot schemy radges a mile off. As soon as karaoke is employed as an vehicle for entertainment in a boozer, alarm bells start ding-a-linging.

Having said that, they have had a refit and the lavvys are clean. Behind every cloud........

Nope, it is generally moribund bar friday nights, saturdays, and fitba.

Lacks character, personality and the ability to spot schemy radges a mile off. As soon as karaoke is employed as an vehicle for entertainment in a boozer, alarm bells start ding-a-linging.

Having said that, they have had a refit and the lavvys are clean. Behind every cloud........

There is an ex-prisoners re-hab close by and thats where the schemeys come from.Leaving a young lassie on her own to throw out the junkies is not fair and the day I was in she was losing the war.

Just heard the Walkabout @ Omni is showing 3D Sat match.At least there is plenty of room and usually pretty well staffed.If you dont have one get a Boomerang card for £3 and then you get 25% off all drink and food till August !! Ab solute bargain.

There is an ex-prisoners re-hab close by and thats where the schemeys come from.Leaving a young lassie on her own to throw out the junkies is not fair and the day I was in she was losing the war.

Correct.

However, back in the day Mathers was always a self policing pub and hopefully the new management will wise up to it. £2.95 a pint helps keep the undesirables away too. A little local knowledge goes along way in the licensing trade.

Having said that I watched the Arsenal/Barcelona game there on Wednesday evening and it was a great night. Lots of nice folk and the IPA didn't go off!!

• 4 months later...
Just heard the Walkabout @ Omni is showing 3D Sat match.At least there is plenty of room and usually pretty well staffed.If you dont have one get a Boomerang card for £3 and then you get 25% off all drink and food till August !! Ab solute bargain.

If you have a card 25% off ends on 31/8/10 as the government ( Westminster) has outlawed the scheme.Manager unsure about prices in general.Will be popping in this afternoon for my share.:D

• 2 weeks later...
If you have a card 25% off ends on 31/8/10 as the government ( Westminster) has outlawed the scheme.Manager unsure about prices in general.Will be popping in this afternoon for my share.:D

Fear not!! New scheme about to start but reduced to 20%. Will still patronise

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...