#21 - 20/12/08 - Airdrie United (a)

So to Airdrie, and yet another tough away day for saints. My feeling about this one is that unless we can play much better as a unit and get our passing game going we could find ourselves on the losing side this Saturday. In the last 4 games we have been a wee bit fortunate to collect the points we have, as our general play has been at best average and at worst poor.This is of course the sign of a good team, the ability to collect points without playing anywhere near their full potential.This can work for a while but we must up our game especially in the midfield. Defensively we are getting stronger and stronger with each match but the midfield seems to be going flat.This is a surprise, as we have what at least I would consider to be the best available midfielders in the league.This may be part of the problem of course. Too many to choose from.The manager has tried one or two ideas which frankly have not worked so well and I think the time has come to get the best four in and let them have a good run. We lack creativity at times and this has been shown more so in the last two weeks where we failed to make enough clear cut chances.Too many lofted high balls to no one in particular and certainly not enough zip. If we can up the pace and the quality of our delivery and final ball we will collect the full 3 points if not I fear a draw will be the best we can achieve.

This is what I'd like to see (although it's pretty unlikely)....

Main

Irvine, Rusty, Caff, Anderson.

Swankie, Millar, Morris, Craig

Holmes ,Samuel.

Subs. Baldy guy, Sheerin, McDonald, Savo, Moon.....

More likely of course Craig will remain at LB, Ando will be on the bench, Swankie will be nowhere...etc.

There are big decisions to be made.........................

That though, is why Dels the boss and I trust him to do what is correct for the team....

Hopefully we can take a good support down there and all get right behind the guys....

COME ON YOU SAINTS............

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Massive game this one, as its a must win if we are too be serious about promotion!!!

been a bad venue for us down the years ....

Baxters fluke to keep us in the cup

Their first game in divison one with jerome verailse (Sp?) and Coyle scoring I think under JC

and get pumped on Jase's debut when he scored

bad times we need 3 points, cmon the Saints!!!

So to Airdrie, and yet another tough away day for saints. My feeling about this one is that unless we can play much better as a unit and get our passing game going we could find ourselves on the losing side this Saturday. In the last 4 games we have been a wee bit fortunate to collect the points we have, as our general play has been at best average and at worst poor.This is of course the sign of a good team, the ability to collect points without playing anywhere near their full potential.This can work for a while but we must up our game especially in the midfield. Defensively we are getting stronger and stronger with each match but the midfield seems to be going flat.This is a surprise, as we have what at least I would consider to be the best available midfielders in the league.This may be part of the problem of course. Too many to choose from.The manager has tried one or two ideas which frankly have not worked so well and I think the time has come to get the best four in and let them have a good run. We lack creativity at times and this has been shown more so in the last two weeks where we failed to make enough clear cut chances.Too many lofted high balls to no one in particular and certainly not enough zip. If we can up the pace and the quality of our delivery and final ball we will collect the full 3 points if not I fear a draw will be the best we can achieve.

This is what I'd like to see (although it's pretty unlikely)....

Main

Irvine, Rusty, Caff, Anderson.

Swankie, Millar, Morris, Craig

Holmes ,Samuel.

Subs. Baldy guy, Sheerin, McDonald, Savo, Moon.....

More likely of course Craig will remain at LB, Ando will be on the bench, Swankie will be nowhere...etc.

There are big decisions to be made.........................

That though, is why Dels the boss and I trust him to do what is correct for the team....

Hopefully we can take a good support down there and all get right behind the guys....

COME ON YOU SAINTS............

Dont see Del sticking Swankie straight into the team.....I believe that he will stick with the same starting eleven that began against Morton in the belief that the players will get their act together -because someone is due a humping from us soon !

main

irvine caff rusty craig

swanks millar morris sheerin

peaso sammy

hilly, homer, moon, ando, savo

i want a hard working performance especially up front and in midfield, we have to move off the ball if we're to have any creativety from morris

swankie and sammy to take their man on, irvine to make runs beyond his man

i think movement off the ball is very important if we are to win this match, if it is like against morton we will struggle badly again, if we do not move off the ball then we will be punting it long again

p.s. i am not promoting a certain radio show :)

I Fear for our un deafeted run ,unless we play out of our skins, fight for every ball, and get it right up clydebank,!!!!! not a happy hunting ground ever, Unfortunately i will miss this one, as i have a christmas community event to assist in, ah well!!!just for the record i would go:

main

irvine rusty caff craig

mcdonald morris moon samuel

holmes milne

subs millar,hardie,sheerin,anderson gk .... highly unlikley though, still thats why del's the manager and im away to my bed to get up at six to work in a leisure centre.

i have a nasty feeling we will lose this game sadly. hope i'm wrong.

Your wrong - a narrow away victory for the forces of good. Saints will play a possesion game with Jody Morris controlling the deep midfield, Craig at left full back, Swankie on bench. 1-0 win goal by Sheerin in 63rd minute, bending shot in off the right post. Tell Noose he's talking nonsense, not pretty but 3 points in bag. C'mon dos Santos.

Your wrong - a narrow away victory for the forces of good. Saints will play a possesion game with Jody Morris controlling the deep midfield, Craig at left full back, Swankie on bench. 1-0 win goal by Sheerin in 63rd minute, bending shot in off the right post. Tell Noose he's talking nonsense, not pretty but 3 points in bag. C'mon dos Santos.

Is Sheerin your love child !!!!!:laugh:

I said to my missus that I'd take her to this match and am now thinking it's a bad idea. Might give it a rain check and do some "shopping".

I'm meant to be out for dinner on Sat night, 6pm start in Glasgow . I would normally go to this game, but our last 3/4 games at Airdrie have been terrible so it's putting me off. I can just see it, go to the game, get beat off bottom of the league, 45 minutes late for dinner, wife goes nuts at me and it ruins my night.

Alternatively, I go to the game all dressed up and we are 5-0 up so I can sneak away in the last minute, get out the stadium for 4:45, home for 5:10 then on the 5:30 train and bingo - on time for dinner. Wife's happy, I'm happy, Saints are 8 clear and Chirstmas is a belter!

That's why you've go to love football - anything can happen. I'll be there.

Airdrie away has been extremely fruitless for us over the last few seasons and although I think it'll be tricky, we should still nick it.

I said to my missus that I'd take her to this match and am now thinking it's a bad idea. Might give it a rain check and do some "shopping".

you ll always get a "bargain" in Airdrie - but check the contents of the box before you head home :neutral:

Noose+ missus +might not go = under the thumb (at such a young age too !!)

Shame on you young lad.

I am not to make the game. The wife has 'encouraged' me to take her and the kids to M&D to see santa!

I even contemplated a detour on the way back but it will mean leaving really early in the morning and my son missing his football. I will just need to get someone to send me text updates.....

Mibbee Noose could help you out...he's not going to the game but is going shopping anyway......Mibbee he 'l take your wife as well and thereby allowing another Saintee to be at Airdrie....SORTED

If we have any aspirations of winning this league we have to beat Airdrie, they are bottom of the league, we are top. We are 12 games undefeated, they are not. We should go into this game with confidence. Im not buying into this nonsense about it being an unhappy hunting ground for us, it shouldnt matter.

My line up:

Main

Ando, Ruti, Caff, Craig

Millar, MMM, Jody, Sheerinho,

Peaso, Savo

3-0 to us.

P.S. Noose get to the game, none of this "shopping with the missus" excuse! You are beginning to worry me, one week you are refusing a pint, then next you are missing the football to go shopping!

Problem on Saturday was a lack of width in midfield but that maybe won't be as much of a problem at New Broomfield if Airdrie set out with a 4-4-2 in an attempt to win the game. I probably wouldn't stray too much from Saturday's midfield but would have Swankie on the bench at the expense of one of the strikers. Problem is that Savo, Samuel and Holmes are established but Peaso has done well in his last couple of outings.

Defence picks itself. Five clean sheets in the six games where they've played the full 90 minutes together.