#23 - 13/01/09 - Rangers (h) - Scottish Cup

Macarius

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, a target man such as Holmes would be hopeless in the lone striker role. We'd be as well going with a sixth midfielder and forgetting the strikers entirely for all the good he'd do. Perhaps Southpaw had the idea to lump crosses onto Holmers head for seventy odd minutes but the quality of the crosses would need to be precise.

As for the Martin Hardie debate. I think it goes without saying that he's going to play. It's a big game and I don't think a player like Swankie would ever step up to that for us. As good a player as he is, he is a bit of a luxury and doesn't provide any graft. Hardie also has a bit of form for roughing them up a bit, which they don't seem to enjoy all that much.

That's an alright team but i would imagine Savo or Sammy will be upfront alone because lone strikers need a bit of pace and have to run alot.

Yeah, it's a tricky one. Wouldn't go for Sammy as he will lose heart when he's starved of the ball and Savo's pace might be useful later in the game. Only played Holmes because we lack height in midfield/up front.

Basically...who the hell knows!! :laugh:

Yeah, a target man such as Holmes would be hopeless in the lone striker role. We'd be as well going with a sixth midfielder and forgetting the strikers entirely for all the good he'd do. Perhaps Southpaw had the idea to lump crosses onto Holmers head for seventy odd minutes but the quality of the crosses would need to be precise.

As for the Martin Hardie debate. I think it goes without saying that he's going to play. It's a big game and I don't think a player like Swankie would ever step up to that for us. As good a player as he is, he is a bit of a luxury and doesn't provide any graft. Hardie also has a bit of form for roughing them up a bit, which they don't seem to enjoy all that much.

Speaking of which, Naismith is just getting back from injury, now. :laugh:

How hilarious that would be, just as he gets fit, playing Rangers' bogey cup team he gets crippled by the same guy who injured him for the 8 months-odd the last time they met. :laugh:

How hilarious that would be, just as he gets fit, playing Rangers' bogey cup team he gets crippled by the same guy who injured him for the 8 months-odd the last time they met. :laugh:

Hardie has to play. Moon and Jody can both get a little rough sometimes but they're both too small to provide the sort of body checks we have come to expect from Hardie.

Oh ho thats the stuff dreams are made of..

After the game MMM could give the rangers team 1 bar of soap as an apology, they need it more than we do.

ok 1st of all im not having a dig but why should hardie be in the starting 11 considering his form is poor and he is carrying an injury, why should we risk the team and potentially the game, and why risk the player himself considering its a back injury?

Assuming Radford's correct :wink: and we do have to have 2 Under 21's in the 16 then some of the teams mentioned just can't happen.

Having spoken to someone that knows this sort of stuff, the cut off date is January 1st 1987, as they have to be under 21 at the start of the year in which the competition starts (i.e. 2008).

That being the case, Moon and Jackson both fit the criteria. Only reason I remember the rule is St Mirren nearly getting thrown out in the season they won the First Division for not having two U21s on the bench.

I think Hardie will start. Form goes completely out of the window in these games and I think Hardie's physical presence is essential to win the midfield battle. I reckon we'll see a similar performance from him as we did against Dunfermline.

Watching the game today, Rangers look nothing special. Holmes and Savo will cause them problems. Quick attacks could be our key

I think Hardie will start. Form goes completely out of the window in these games and I think Hardie's physical presence is essential to win the midfield battle. I reckon we'll see a similar performance from him as we did against Dunfermline.

Watching the game today, Rangers look nothing special. Holmes and Savo will cause them problems. Quick attacks could be our key

Tell me who in the gers midfield is physical? mendes? ferguson? davis? If morris,moon, millar,craig etc cant handle these guys they dont deserve a game. WE DONT NEED HARDIE

This was in the P&J this morning

ST JOHNSTONE manager Derek McInnes has injury worries ahead of the Scottish Cup match against Rangers on January 13.

Midfielder Martin Hardie and leading scorer Stevie Milne are both struggling – as are attacker Peter MacDonald and midfielder Kevin Moon.

McInnes said: “Stevie is nursing a thigh injury and we’ll see how he responds to treatment.

“Martin is our biggest worry. He has been resting for the last two weeks to shake off a back and pelvis problem. But now we have found a tear in his hamstring. The estimate is a seven to 10-day recovery period so he is doubtful.”

McInnes will keep St Johnstone in action with a closed-doors game against Dundee United today.

He said: “We tried to get the game with Ross County re-arranged for this week, but they wanted it clear to prepare for their own cup game.”

McInnes will seek permission from Hibernian to field loan signing Paul Hanlon against Rangers.