#23 - 13/01/09 - Rangers (h) - Scottish Cup

Macarius

Rangers look like they're about to sell Boyd to Birmingham. They reckon the deal will be completed by the end of the week. Is Boyd terrified of going up against Ruti & co?

To be fair, he never scores against big teams anyway...:laugh:

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

normally i agree with ghostie's teams but not this time-we have nothing to fear from the **** so no need to change our formation for them!

Hope our injuries aren't too bad esp Savo.

No place for Swankie - i like him but too much of a luxury player in a game where we need grafters.

Main

Irvine Ruti Caff Hanlon(if Hibs allow)

Millar Morris Sheerin Craig

Savo Homer

subs-McLean Ando(i like him right!) Mooner Sammy Jacko

No place for Swankie - i like him but too much of a luxury player in a game where we need grafters.

I think it's a myth that Swankie doesn't work hard. He's a fairly big lad and holds onto the ball quite well. He's certainly more physical than Miller, albeit less industrious. I would argue that to defeat Rangers you need your best and most skillful players. Hard graft wont defeat a good team, you need that bit of skill too.

I would play swankie and get some good balls into the box. Nobody needs motivation to get stuck into Rangers.

I think it's a myth that Swankie doesn't work hard. He's a fairly big lad and holds onto the ball quite well. He's certainly more physical than Miller, albeit less industrious. I would argue that to defeat Rangers you need your best and most skillful players. Hard graft wont defeat a good team, you need that bit of skill too.

I would play swankie and get some good balls into the box. Nobody needs motivation to get stuck into Rangers.

I appreciate your points but I don't agree that Swankie is more physical than Millar. I think Swankie is one of our least physical players, who will back out of challenges he has a reasonable chance of winning. I also don't think he has much ability to tackle - not really a ball winner. His strengths lie very much in attack whereas Millar can do a bit of both.

As for the game against Rangers, midfield is probably going to pose McInnes a few headaches. If we get permission from Hibs to field Hanlon, the left of midfield is a dead cert with Craig in there and one of the two places up for grabs in the middle will go to Morris. The other one I believe will go to Hardie if he can get himself fit enough in time. However, right midfield poses a bit of a problem. I think Millar is a more rounded player than Swankie, and has a better playing relationship with Irvine but Millar always look better through the middle.

millar hasnt had anywhere near a good game on the right wing for us, swankie tracks back alot and on some games does put in a tackle, this game he would relish, taking on papac presumably would be a great oppurtunity for him and especially on telly to show his value

if we are going to win we will need our best and most fluent team

... its more than likely if boyd goes kyle lafferty will be up front?

Lafferty picked up a knee injury in a match against Morton today. They aren't sure how serious it is but he seemingly has no chance of playing on Tuesday. Miller also collected a hamstring strain against ICT so is doubtful. If Novo and Boyd do leave, that would mean Velicka and Naismith up front unless they manage to bring in someone like David Healy at short notice.

On the Swankie arguement, one of his best games for Dundee last season was against Celtic in the CIS Cup and he was also excellent at Motherwell in the Scottish Cup. Big game player, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him start.

Lafferty picked up a knee injury in a match against Morton today. They aren't sure how serious it is but he seemingly has no chance of playing on Tuesday. Miller also collected a hamstring strain against ICT so is doubtful. If Novo and Boyd do leave, that would mean Velicka and Naismith up front unless they manage to bring in someone like David Healy at short notice.

On the Swankie arguement, one of his best games for Dundee last season was against Celtic in the CIS Cup and he was also excellent at Motherwell in the Scottish Cup. Big game player, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him start.

How what is happening on tuesday?

Not sure that Del will pick him, he might show some loyalty to Midgie. I fully agree that if he starts, he play a blinder!

saints were training at bells this morning, although a few not risked on the hard surface, a fairly low key fun session by the looks of it. sounds like most will make tuesday though apart from mmm.

Was there not quite a few missing?

I was up at the ground when they were leaving and there didn't seem to be that many.

we will be though, how can we expect to sell more tickets than rangers when theres more rangers fans in perth than saints fans. We can outsing them though - thats all that matters.

I dont care if their fans outnumber us

I dont care if they singer louder than us.......as long as we -

Outplay them and outscore them