#31 - 10/03/09 - Clyde (a)

Radford 72

yes. Also the fact the fans got behind him from the off. The Swankie Hater brigade were out initially, I heard a bit of abuse early in the game for him. I turned round and glared at someone :oops: next minute they were all on his side.

Ooooo big bad mad mental mike :)

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes. Also the fact the fans got behind him from the off. The Swankie Hater brigade were out initially, I heard a bit of abuse early in the game for him. I turned round and glared at someone :oops: next minute they were all on his side.

maybe that's what I should have done - instead of glaring I asked someone to stop moaning and then got an earful about it being my right to say what I like - I've paid my money! Quite right of course but boy it was hard to listen to after the start saints made. And of course I had paid too so could also say what I liked. :roll:

Anyway, if this person is reading this...sorry for my cheek!

maybe that's what I should have done - instead of glaring I asked someone to stop moaning and then got an earful about it being my right to say what I like - I've paid my money! Quite right of course but boy it was hard to listen to after the start saints made. And of course I had paid too so could also say what I liked. :roll:

Yeah I am all for free speech etc but it has been well documented about how Gavin responds. Yet again it could have went horribily wrong for us last night. Its no coincedence that when he plays well, the team he plays for does well. I think its important that we show our support - he responded superbly last night and acknowledged the fans as he left the park. I predicted a swankie goal and two assists, I wasnt too far wrong!

Edited to add... It's amazing how little the ref can do wrong when you win..

I thought you were awful quiet last night Ghostie :wink::laugh:

Not a bad game from the officials overall, though one howler from the referee for Millar's yellow card - clean tackle from the Clyde player winning the ball and conceding the corner and I didn't see a claim for a penalty at all from Millar. The assistant on our side had a shocker of a decision in the first half giving Swankie offside but I am sure he was forgiven when the final whistle went!

Edited to add - crowd was good last night. Official attendance of a couple of clicks above 1000 so fair guess of around 500-550 Saints fans.

Really, really pleased with firstly the result but also the performance last night. Disappointing to concede a goal from a set piece (although it was a great delivery - something we know Stevenson can produce) but thought the final goal added a truer reflection to the scoreline. McInnes recognised that we needed to shake things up a bit and got things just about right. With playing teams four times, by the time the last fixture comes around, sides have usually sussed each other out but our depth of squad could prove vital in that regard, although we were down to just fifteen fit players and MacDonald last night.

Couldn't believe we'd got ourselves into the position of being nervous when Clyde scored with their first attack of the second half and they had a couple of decent chances after that but it would have been robbery if they'd taken anything from the match. Also thought it was amusing we ended up having more players booked when the foul count must've been heavily in the home side's favour. MacLennan and Kettlewell made more contact with our players than the ball over the course of the evening.

Can't pick a fault in any of our players really. Not sold on the two latest additions but without them we'd be short on numbers. Really mature performance from Irvine and all of the midfielders were excellent and I could single out any of them for praise. Sheerin showed all of his experience, Millar was full of energy and made good runs, Swankie looked confident and used the ball well and Moon turned in another tremendous performance.

I've not seen Airdrie since Xmas time but Clyde look like they could be in a bit of trouble. The defence isn't bad and McLaren is a threat but there are some poor players getting a game. Thought the lads up the back of the stand backed their team fantastically well though.

Different type of pressure for us heading into the Livi game now, we need to make sure there is no complacency.

The last time I give in to the missus' requests and dodge a game. I knew it would be Swankie's night and gutted I wasn't there as I'm sure his old man would of been well chuffed. Great result and onwards and upwards for all!

My Mrs tried that once with me before. I said "Yes dear, no problem" and all I did was spend the evening glued to the TV and Internet and she said "you know what, its better you just go to the game if you want" Never been asked to miss a game unless its something we cant get out of.

In a night of mostly positives. I noted the arguing between Byrne and Ruti just after we conceded. This continued for a period of about 5 mins. Need to sort that out Byrne needs to accept what the captain is telling him.

I think thats healthy and shows some spirit in the camp. All smiles at full time no doubt.

I think thats healthy and shows some spirit in the camp. All smiles at full time no doubt.
Suppose, sometimes though I would just rather they held the autopsy after the game. It was at a time when we were a bit rattled just after they scored.

Anyway as you said, all smiles at the end! :laugh:

Enjoyed the game last night - there was a real determination about the players. That was one of the worst Clyde teams I've seen, normally it's a difficult venue to get points at but agree with Radford that if we'd not won there last night it'd have been a travesty.

Massive game for us on Saturday now against an improving Livi team.

Troublemaker!!Wish i had the baws to say it Mike,you were spot on!If only you pulled her husband up for saying Mooner looked like a lost wee boy!!We must sit clear of them in future!

Troublemaker!!Wish i had the baws to say it Mike,you were spot on!If only you pulled her husband up for saying Mooner looked like a lost wee boy!!We must sit clear of them in future!

Be careful with where you are going with this stuff please. I happen to know the two folk you are speaking about personally. They are top people who are good friends of mine and are enthusiastic fans who have supported Saints for many years. They are as desparate for Saints to succeed as anyone else. I've been made aware that the girl is extremely upset tonight about some of the personal comments that have been made by various people on here about her (and her brother, not husband) by people she doesn't even know on both here and Pie and Bovril.

To be honest, they are both a bit more vocal than they should be sometimes, and they know it - but they are certainly not alone in that department. I wasn't aware that shouting or expresing your opinion about a football match had become a hanging offence, but please be aware that personal comments such as those that have been posted are now causing real upset to real people.

Be careful with where you are going with this stuff please. I happen to know the two folk you are speaking about personally. They are top people who are good friends of mine and are enthusiastic fans who have supported Saints for many years. They are as desparate for Saints to succeed as anyone else. I've been made aware that the girl is extremely upset tonight about some of the personal comments that have been made by various people on here about her (and her brother, not husband) by people she doesn't even know on both here and Pie and Bovril.

To be honest, they are both a bit more vocal than they should be sometimes, and they know it - but they are certainly not alone in that department. I wasn't aware that shouting or expresing your opinion about a football match had become a hanging offence, but please be aware that personal comments such as those that have been posted are now causing real upset to real people.

sounds like they were steamin *** ! C'mon the saints.

But let' be careful ***

I've made an erse of myself a couple of times in my career, they will get over it !

Don't know any of the people involved, so I have no bias. If fans are shouting at a game, it often degenerates into a personal attack on a specific player, we all heard examples in our recent home game when Swankie was ill-treated by our fans.

IF somebody shouted that Mooner looked like a lost little boy; they're either thick or making a personal attack. If it's the latter, I find that unacceptable.

Reading P&B, Bomber has called the so-called Clyde fans "a disgrace" and "wanks" after the cheered a player being subbed. I'm sure Del thought exactly the same of Swankie's boo boys. Last night was a glorious example of fans and fottballers working toghether for the greater good of the club/team. If that means telling folking to quit sniping, so be it.

Having said that, if these folk are genuine and honestly thought Moon looked resembled Paddington Bear, perhaps we should let them be/move seats. You can't teach an old dog new tricks!