#37 - 19/04/09 - Queen of the South (h)

Why was Richmond having a word with Main after the pass back? Its not a bookable offence to pick up a pass back?

I think Alan was suggesting in his own quiet way to the referee that one of the Queens played it after Anderson's (once again) dire back pass attempt

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Alan was suggesting in his own quiet way to the referee that one of the Queens played it after Anderson's (once again) dire back pass attempt
Was poor, but was it not also a horrible ball by gartland? Whatever happens we need to sort that defence out. All season it has been our base. We have survived because of it.

I think most who saw the 'goal that wasn't' seem to agree that it was a perfectly legal goal and it may have cost us a point today, of course it may have changed the game if it had stood and etc etc etc!!!!!

Given that, and given it was shown live on TV, if we miss out on promotion (and I dont think we will by the way) but just supposing we did and that goal proved the deciding factor - could we not sue for loss of earnings for next season based on it completely fecking up the game/season or whatever!!

Some days I really do wish that Football followed Rugby and had an official off the pitch making instant appeal decisions and able to right wrongs there and then, it beggars belief that there is no way to challenge 'human failings' in the decisions match officials make.

Gutted we lost in the manner we did, but actually it may be the little boot we need to see off Dundee next week and then things will be back on track again, its still our league to lose and I dont think we will, just need to temper the feelings that we are somehow owed it and go back to fighting for it!! Thats the best and most satisfying way to win a league.

I had similar thoughts when I was driving back last night. Refs and linesmen usually have a primary income and have refereeing as a second income. IF we don't go up this season some in the team WILL be released and you could easily suggest that this is an indirect result of decisions like Richmond's yesterday.

I'm not for a second saying Saints would have won if it wasn't for Richmond as the first half was dire, but this display of refereeing does spoil games.

A TV ref would avoid this but it needs to avoid slowing the game down. Maybe a similar set-up to tennis would work where you are allowed a certain amount of appeals and only for offsides and disallowed goals.

Anyway, we can still do it next week, COME ON SAINTS!

I've said it before that Ruti only started to look like a star when Caff came in. I stand by that - he's the brains at the back. He would have never been mugged by Dobbie for their first the way Ruti and Gartland did (both of them diving in). He's our player of the year as far as I am concerned.

Anyway, onto the game. I didn't think we were that bad - just the defence was absolutely garbage. Midfield forward I thought we created chances, scored goals and generally looked dangerous. Hardie was off the pace a wee bit but was threatening at set pieces. Even Savo looked like a different player, coming short and offering himself to the midfield. He showed some nice touches (apart from pointlessly keeping the ball in for their goal). Sammy looked dangerous too.

Had our defence been even close to its usual standard, yesterday would have been a comfortable win.

Absolutely not. A point for us yesterday would have been just that and if we won it a game sooner because of it, Great. the fact it would be at dens is the icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.

I had this thought too Mike, a point yesterday would not only have meant there were more ways of winning it next week (2 chances instead or one - I think), but also kills off Dundee and Morton too. Now I realise its very unlikely they'll catch us but while its still possible players will play!

Was poor, but was it not also a horrible ball by gartland? Whatever happens we need to sort that defence out. All season it has been our base. We have survived because of it.

Yeah it was a bit of a hospital pass, I thought Main may have been trying to suggest Ando's pass wasn't intended for him therefore it wasn't a deliberate pass back, clutching at straws.

Ando and Gartland don't seem that comfortable together and I recall more than one occasion where they we giving each other a bollocking only for Sheerin to march back and tell them to get focused on the game. Because of this I feel that if Caff is out next week we have to have Craig at LB and preferably Gartland at CB. I'd rather see Craig in the midfield but he got forward well in the 2nd half yesterday, just a shame he was involved in the off-side mix up for their 3rd.

Anderson must be dropped and punted, he is utter pish.

:laugh: Nice to see some things don't change. If ICT go down Maurice Malpas could be looking for a job soon, any thoughts on him coming to Saints?

I think yesterday is probably only the third or fourth time I've ever watched a Saints game on the telly and if I never have to do ti again it'll be too soon, it was probably the most stressful afternoon I've ever spent (compounded by the director's insistance on focusing on people in the crowd while the ball is in play).

I didn't think we were all that bad for the most part but there were a few too many passengers yesterday. Swankie is useless, I've yet to see him even show a flash of anything that suggests he's a player - total waste of a jersey. Milne was probably the worst I've seen him for Saints (although watching on TV probably contributes to that) and was one of a few at fault for the third goal. Samuel held the ball up well but didn't really ever look like doing anything useful with it.

Sheerin had another good game, Moon was decent when he came on, Holmes made a big difference and Millar looked reasonable.

Unfortunately, we were done yet again this season by our inabiltity to put a foot in on Stephen Dobbie, the guy's a great player but there were three or four opportunities to put a foot in that only resulted in players diving in (at one point both our centre halfs were on their arses in the right back area while Dobber charged towards goal. For a team with such a good defensive record, losing three goals like that at home is a real disappointment.

I think we'll still win the league but it may well come down to the last day now.

Not one to ever advocate violence but we need to nail the Dobster early doors!

Who's going to take one for the team?

I saw Steven Anderson share a joke with Dobbie after being mugged by him. Sorry, but I don't like seeing defenders smile even in team pictures!

Dobbie should have been "subdued" in the first five to ten minutes.

He is a undoubtably a decent player at this level when he is given space and time. How he scored starting from that position on the wing is beyond me.

Basically very poor defending which is not like us to be fair.

I saw Steven Anderson share a joke with Dobbie after being mugged by him. Sorry, but I don't like seeing defenders smile even in team pictures!

Dobbie should have been "subdued" in the first five to ten minutes.

He is a undoubtably a decent player at this level when he is given space and time. How he scored starting from that position on the wing is beyond me.

Basically very poor defending which is not like us to be fair.

he is a class player ,but unfortuneately we let him go!!!

I think the result is harder to bear because the players who did the damage were deemed not good enough for Saints.

Anderson must be dropped and punted, he is utter pish.

Are we forgetting that Ando played Harper out of the game after he had ripped Craig to bits at Dunfermline. Are we forgetting that Ando never gave McGeady a kick of the ball in the Semi against Celtic.Are we forgetting that he has hardly played all season & is carrying an injury that requires an operation that he is putting of til the summer for the team.

Yes he didn`t have a great game yesterday but he had to adjust from moving to centre back from left back. He also had to cover the left when Liam was bombing up the left to try & save the game whilst Ruti was covering the right when Irvine was bombing up the right leaving 20 yards space in the middle for the centre to run through unchallanged.

Ando himself will admit he got caught out against QoS.......but so did others.......Ando is a decent defender at the best of times and because of his errors and the fact we lost will become the prime target for blame.....but we all know its a team game and we could all debate who did and didnt perform.......thats the crap (sunday) game out of the road- i cant see the players feckin up as bad as this again.....Bring on Dundee-Morton and Airdrie.....we are ahead and will still be ahead after Saturday.....keep the faith ....cmon the saints.

Guest Harry Curran's Love child

Did anyone else hear the clown in the East Stand bring shame on himself by lambasting Samuel with the words "Come on Scotland, get the finger out".

So funny I actually spat my pie out

Good goinf forward, awful in defence. No need for the anti- Ando remarks. Playing despite waiting on an operation. Would you prefer James? We can still win at Dens, relax your bum holes

I'd prefer Maurice Malpas! I apologise for not being nice about Ando, I just can't help it. I don't get like this about other players even when they are as horse as he is.

I'd prefer Maurice Malpas! I apologise for not being nice about Ando, I just can't help it. I don't get like this about other players even when they are as horse as he is.

I'm not asking you to be nice, I'm asking you to be reasonable. The post above highlights some great performances from Ando. He's injured and still busting a gut for us (in an alien position), more than certain others this year. Your last sentence displays a distinct lack of reasoning in your attack.

I accept the way I have put it seems unreasonable, but it's partly tongue in cheek. I have long felt that Anderson is simply not very good and have expressed this on several million occasions, to the extent I just can't be arsed trying to explain why anymore. Nothing I have seen over the past couple of games since he has come back into the team has made me alter this opinion.

OK, here is my attempt to be reasonable, one last time. Someone mentioned above that they thought Ando played well against Dunfermline. I disagree. He was caught out of position several times and was painfully slow at getting back. Only Gartland going across to cover him prevented serious problems. His performance on Sunday was very poor, I think we all agree on that, but any player is allowed a bad day at the office. I just don't think he is good enough. Sorry.

the 1 thing about ando is that he is more than willing to take it to the byeline going up the line the way sheerin and stanic did and while he may not possess the same ability as stanic does he still goes for it which is more than can be said about quite a few players in the team and he deserves some praise for that