Youth News 2009/10

Dev

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully it's just a new team taking time to gel and facing a good Motherwell side but it'll be interesting to see how the lads react after being a team that was usually on the other side of that type of scoreline last season. Doesn't get any easier for them next week though as I think they are away to Celtic.

It is a strange one for them next week. Celtic have been throwing money at their under 19 set up having bought players from down south and down the leagues up here. They just paid alloa £100k for a young lad who has gone right into their under 19 squad having been on the bench for alloa for a spell last season.

The motherwell lads were a fair bit bigger and stronger and looked like they were that year more experienced and a bit more streetwise. One of the well lads got booked early on for swearing at the ref and it brought a torrent of abuse from the touchline towards the linesman, surely at 19's we should be encouraging them to be p[assionate but pulling them up for telling the ref to go and f*** himself.

It is a strange one for them next week. Celtic have been throwing money at their under 19 set up having bought players from down south and down the leagues up here. They just paid alloa £100k for a young lad who has gone right into their under 19 squad having been on the bench for alloa for a spell last season.

The motherwell lads were a fair bit bigger and stronger and looked like they were that year more experienced and a bit more streetwise. One of the well lads got booked early on for swearing at the ref and it brought a torrent of abuse from the touchline towards the linesman, surely at 19's we should be encouraging them to be p[assionate but pulling them up for telling the ref to go and f*** himself.

Getting humped every week would be a disaster, but to be honest the boys need to be tested more than they were last year. They are still very young so nothing to worry about.

As for your last point, I was very impressed at Newburgh listening to Tommy and Alec controlling our kids not to bitch and moan to the referee. Kinda funny that Tam is telling the boys off for swearing!

Hopefully it's just a new team taking time to gel and facing a good Motherwell side but it'll be interesting to see how the lads react after being a team that was usually on the other side of that type of scoreline last season. Doesn't get any easier for them next week though as I think they are away to Celtic.

Motherwell fan I know says they have a cracking team, many with first team experience!

Under 13s also won

To be honest does it matter if the 13's or 15's win or lose. Its should be all about player development and not results. This is why Scottish football is in such a mess due to clubs signing players far too young, looking just for results and even fans getting upset because their sides under 13's are not winning every week.

The first thing that should happen is for the Scottish executive to give people like Tommy Campbell and his team of coaches proper funding to do the job on a full time basis but not tied to any club and then draft them into the pro game at the age of 16 or 17.

It doesn't overly matter, but winning does help. I understand fully that it shouldn't be the be all and end all, but as things stand, there is importance placed on success and we want to keep our youngsters keen.

If there was no competitive edge to football until you hit 16, I think a lot of kids will have drifted from the game and how do you know they will adapt to the pressures... which I believe is as vital to football as basic skills.

As it stands now in youth football their is no competitive football until under 13's but if you are at an under 12's game you would never know. I agree players need matches to improve and gain an edge but these could be played behind closed doors

In my time in youth football it was so sad to hear of so many players who thought they had made it aged 13 or 14 as they were put on a programme by a pro team only to be released a year or so later. Some of these players then just drifted from the game rather than have another go with a youth side. Players are getting signed younger and younger and end up being drilled in tactics rather than developing skills

At least we have a good programme where from what I have been told and read on here the players are being taught how to play the game in the correct manner and are following the respect programme

No doubt there will be a big youth review when we crash out of the world cup but whether anything comes of it we wont know for 10 years

What's wrong with developing young players skills , tactical knowledge AND encouraging a winning mentality at the same time?

Why has it always got to be one or the other ?

For me - boys aged under 14 should be playing for fun . When they hit 14/15 they should still play in non competitive leagues and focus on skills but should also compete in small knock out cup tournaments for trophies to give them a taste of competitive footie

When they reach 16 it should still be about improving their game but more emphasis should then be placed on winning.

Winning is not a dirty word and as Graeme Souness once said " show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. "

Edited by soccer saints

Throw a ball in to a playground and let them play football and the kids will be competitive.

Tom Wilson from the SFA introduced non competitive 7-a-side into the country and his one regret was calling it non competitive it isn't it is non trophy winning.

I deliberately did not put the score of the under 13 post as it is not important and being developmental the score is not important.

Theres to much emphasis on physical fitness rather than footballing skills. in todays game you have to be an athlete first an foremost a footballer second. Obviously you have to be fit but there aint enough good football bein played, its all to kick n rush stuff. I`ve seen good skilfull youngsters with natural flair and ability get it knocked outa them when they join senior clubs, by coaches who are no better than junior level or less

Theres to much emphasis on physical fitness rather than footballing skills. in todays game you have to be an athlete first an foremost a footballer second. Obviously you have to be fit but there aint enough good football bein played, its all to kick n rush stuff. I`ve seen good skilfull youngsters with natural flair and ability get it knocked outa them when they join senior clubs, by coaches who are no better than junior level or less

Rubbish - I know several clubs who are in the Pro Youth league who take players who have potential and ability and the physical fitness is worked on above their core technical & tactical game, Most teams have fitness coaches who come in and work on plyometrics to help develop a player (COD, bounding, Shorts sprints, Elasticity & the likes). But if a player is not naturally athletic then they will struggle when push comes to shove

Rubbish - I know several clubs who are in the Pro Youth league who take players who have potential and ability and the physical fitness is worked on above their core technical & tactical game, Most teams have fitness coaches who come in and work on plyometrics to help develop a player (COD, bounding, Shorts sprints, Elasticity & the likes). But if a player is not naturally athletic then they will struggle when push comes to shove
No its not rubbish. The level of skill in the game today is nowhere near as good as it was years ago. Show me a george best for example. I mean best the player not the man, and dont make me laugh by sayin ronaldo or the like, they dont even come close. Jimmy johnstone is another that springs to mind. Hope your old enough to remember players:rolleyes:

It sounds like you are being a bit rose-tinted there saintees4life.

Comparing footballers from the past with footballers from the present is an asinine debate though I would find it hard pressed to say George Best isn't comparable to Ronaldo.

The point i`m tryin to make is where in todays game are all the,( to use an old saying) tanner baw players? They aint there. Too much emphasis on being an athlete, runnin up an down the park like haedless chickens a lot of the time. As for Ronaldo and Best, well one of them is appropriately named:)

The point i`m tryin to make is where in todays game are all the,( to use an old saying) tanner baw players? They aint there. Too much emphasis on being an athlete, runnin up an down the park like haedless chickens a lot of the time. As for Ronaldo and Best, well one of them is appropriately named:)

I have had over half a dozen boys moving on from youth teams to pro youth and in all the cases the coaches have concentrated on their footballing abilities and not their physical prep.

Do you go and watch the youth teams at pro youth and boys club level? The one thing I have seen a lot of in the last couple of years is teams continuing to concentrate on passing and movement as compared to individual flair players far more a team game than an individuals game.

I have had over half a dozen boys moving on from youth teams to pro youth and in all the cases the coaches have concentrated on their footballing abilities and not their physical prep.

Do you go and watch the youth teams at pro youth and boys club level? The one thing I have seen a lot of in the last couple of years is teams continuing to concentrate on passing and movement as compared to individual flair players far more a team game than an individuals game.

"Far more of a team game" perhaps at boys club level but as soon as a lad moves to pro youth he is there to develope his skills as whatever team he is at is looking for A player not a whole team, out of 2 or 300 lads going through a teams system only 1 or 2 will make it to first team level, so it is all about idividual development at pro youth.

It won't be a team that wins a lad a contract it will be the lad himself.

Yes and then they get a lot of the football knocked outa them. I worked for a few teams in the west and witnessed it first hand