Good Cycle Routes In Perth

Dylan-Saints

me and my friends are going to be going on a few cycles in the summer holidays but we are just wondering if anyone could give any good cycling routes in perth

I personally enjoy the path out the back of North Muirton :D

I often start at the monument on the north inch and end up at my pals at Stanley :)

me and my friends are going to be going on a few cycles in the summer holidays but we are just wondering if anyone could give any good cycling routes in perth

The riverside route can take you to Almondbank and beyond depending on how far you want to go. Are you interested in mountain biking routes or roads? Another one is to head out past Scone Palace and turn left. The road heads out past Stormontfield and comes out at the far end of Guildtown. To go there and back from, say, Bell's would be around 15 miles

The riverside route can take you to Almondbank and beyond depending on how far you want to go. Are you interested in mountain biking routes or roads? Another one is to head out past Scone Palace and turn left. The road heads out past Stormontfield and comes out at the far end of Guildtown. To go there and back from, say, Bell's would be around 15 miles

one to guildtown sounds like a good cycle how long roughly did it take you

one to guildtown sounds like a good cycle how long roughly did it take you

Nae point asking him a question like that, he's virtually a professional athlete. Ran a marathon in a third world country for fun. Part timer, even missed Dens to get a head start!:laugh:

On a serious note, if you're gonna cycle on public A roads, keep your wits about you. Driving standards in this country are deplorable. I try to (only) cycle off road now for reasons of safety.

On a serious note, if you're gonna cycle on public A roads, keep your wits about you. Driving standards in this country are deplorable. I try to (only) cycle off road now for reasons of safety.

Driving standards in the UK are a thousand times better than any other country I've been to./driven in.

Still as a cyclist, its still pretty scary :wink:

Driving standards in the UK are a thousand times better than any other country I've been to./driven in.

Still as a cyclist, its still pretty scary :wink:

I wouldn't disagree with your first paragraph, but the number of times I've had to take avoiding action on my bike is ridiculous. I think my spatial awareness is pretty good, and as a racer I know how to keep my nose clean; others may not be so fortunate, especially when with mates/blethering/laughing.

Too many car drivers assume bikes are travelling at 15 mph maximum and too many females/kids/old farts seem unable to comprehend that we need to move right in order to overtake parked cars.

Moncrieff Hill is good for mountain biking. On the road the aforementioned Rhynd Rd. one is good (I always preferred going from the Bridge of Earn end first and down Strawberry Brae). I also used to like going out to Craigend then along the road between there and Aberdalgie then back into Perth down Necessity Brae past the GA (check your brakes first!). If you're feeling energetic you can carry on out to the Brig instead of turning off at Craigend, head out the Forgandenny Rd. towards Dunning and come back into Perth the same way (probably about 15 miles or so, maybe about an hour if you're going for it).

Moncrieff Hill is good for mountain biking.

Bit hardcore, for bairns. Admittedly, I'm well out of shape but it's a tough slog - particularly as it retains moisture like a Mancunian.

I would recommend starting off with Deuchney Woods and progressing to Kinnoull Hill. By mid-July you'll be all set to get halfway up Moncrieffe Hill before stopping for Lucozade and a fag!

Bit hardcore, for bairns. Admittedly, I'm well out of shape but it's a tough slog - particularly as it retains moisture like a Mancunian.

Depends what route you take (which is part of the reason I like it). You can get most of the way to the top on fairly decent fire roads then you have a choice of ways to come down again from fairly easy (e.g. the way you went up) to quite tricky and technical (the wee path right next to the motorway). It's where I learned to ride off-road (skills which have now sadly deserted me) as a young buck so I whole-heartedly recommend it to bairns as long as they've got some half-decent tires.

Depends what route you take (which is part of the reason I like it). You can get most of the way to the top on fairly decent fire roads then you have a choice of ways to come down again from fairly easy (e.g. the way you went up) to quite tricky and technical (the wee path right next to the motorway). It's where I learned to ride off-road (skills which have now sadly deserted me) as a young buck so I whole-heartedly recommend it to bairns as long as they've got some half-decent tires.

Aye the wee path is a cracker. Not sure about you, but in my case my balls rather than skills have deserted me.

In all seriousness though, Dylan is 14 and speaking about cycling with mates. By the time he got there, I doubt he (and his companions) could cope with the slog to the top. Whilst the road is in good nick, it is generally heavy (possible diue to be sheltered from wind and sun) and the false summit breaks your heart.

I would also commend the challenge but not without some preparation.

Feck me, who'd have thought a cycle ride up a hill could become a debate. I continue to impress myself. I think I might start a thread at 0200 and debate against myself, wonder which Saints manager could be used as target practice....

I have just started doing a bit of cycling again. More so as an alternative mode of transport rather than going on long jaunts (at the moment). Thing is my mountain bike needs replacing as its a bit old now. Anyone got good suggestions for picking up a cheap upgrade (second hand or new)?

I have just started doing a bit of cycling again. More so as an alternative mode of transport rather than going on long jaunts (at the moment). Thing is my mountain bike needs replacing as its a bit old now. Anyone got good suggestions for picking up a cheap upgrade (second hand or new)?

I haven't cycled properly for years but I would always recommend a visit to JM Richards on George Street. Big Drew is totally straight and the stuff is priced sensibly.

I'd reckon (but I'm out of touch) that you'd get a very good bike for £200-250. If you're looking to spend less, second hand is the way forward. Might also be worth taking your bike down and asking what could be done to it, to improve it?

In terms of value for money I think it's hard to beat Edinburgh Bikes own range of bikes you get a similar quality of frame to what you get from a big manufacturer with way better components. I'd also recommend having a wee look at Wiggle who are often really good value for money but perhaps not at the really cheap end of things.

If your frame's in reasonable nick though I'd be tempted to follow 101's suggestion and take it in to Richards to see what they say, a new chainset and some new cables might be all you need.

In terms of things to avoid I'd say anything out of a supermarket, JJB and Halfords although I have heard good things about their Chris Boardman range of bikes.

Not sure about you, but in my case my balls rather than skills have deserted me.

Aye there's certainly a bit of that, I've been doing a lot of walking down really steep drops lately!

Aye there's certainly a bit of that, I've been doing a lot of walking down really steep drops lately!

I remember as a bairn trying get my speedo off the clock on Craigvinean, now I tend to take it easy and look oot for deer and bonnie views!

I used to have marks on Fairies Road (at the steep end) and Viewlands Road (at The Lovat) that I used as braking points. I now pretend I cannae recognise them as I tootle past at 20 mph:oops:

I remember as a bairn trying get my speedo off the clock on Craigvinean, now I tend to take it easy and look oot for deer and bonnie views!

I used to have marks on Fairies Road (at the steep end) and Viewlands Road (at The Lovat) that I used as braking points. I now pretend I cannae recognise them as I tootle past at 20 mph:oops:

Aye craigvineans bonnie right enough,the forest road is nice an sedate,but have you tried the mountain bike track? Bloody scary

Avoid second hand like the plague - the bits that want to break will, and you'll do so also. Also, avoid Halfords as well. You'll get a cheap bike, but absolutley no pleasure from trying to haul a brick around - the single best reason why so many bikes lie in garden sheds.

A good independent like Richards is a good move, but I would have a serious look at:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com

The free catalogue is gorgeous.

Their own brand is great value - they have learned that the best way to make money out of bikes is sell to the bike cheap, and the accessories expensive, so take advantage particulalrly when the summer sale comes. The mail order is excellent.

If you feel adventurous, the best value deals on good quality bikes are at:

www.evanscycles.com

The sale is permanent but topped up in July. I would have no fears about their mail order either.

Feel the lycra!

Nae point asking him a question like that, he's virtually a professional athlete. Ran a marathon in a third world country for fun. Part timer, even missed Dens to get a head start!:laugh:

:laugh::laugh: I'm doing the Corrieyairack Challenge on 4th July and you're welcome to join me. Its a 17mile run followed by a 26mile cycle. An easy one for you? :wink: