Squad Rotation

O'Rourke

Well now we are in the "big league" we can start talking the talk!

Our squad will be light in number compared to some but surely we will have to look at adopting a horses for courses strategy.

Surely there is an arguement that the likes of Euan McLean and some of the young pups should be played in league cup-ties and the like to get them some competitive action before they have to be drafted in due to injury for example.

At the moment we would be a tad exposed were Alan Main to injure himself against Motherwell leaving us to travel to Celtic Park with a bit of a dilema.

I know we are supposidly signing a goalie and a left-bck sometime soon but.....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's essential we have a settled back four. No matter the game we should try to keep our usual back four.

As for in the middle and uptop we have lots of different options and I think certain players will be improtant for certain types of games.

Well now we are in the "big league" we can start talking the talk!

Our squad will be light in number compared to some but surely we will have to look at adopting a horses for courses strategy.

Surely there is an arguement that the likes of Euan McLean and some of the young pups should be played in league cup-ties and the like to get them some competitive action before they have to be drafted in due to injury for example.

At the moment we would be a tad exposed were Alan Main to injure himself against Motherwell leaving us to travel to Celtic Park with a bit of a dilema.

I know we are supposidly signing a goalie and a left-bck sometime soon but.....

were not Man U or Chelsea, you do know that dont you??? need settled team asap especially defence!!!

were not Man U or Chelsea, you do know that dont you??? need settled team asap especially defence!!!

Agree, squad rotation is all fair and well when you've got europe, cups and internationals. the most games we can play this season will be around 50 and thats only if we get to two finals (optimistic). I dont see any reason, with the additions of a left back, goalie and possibly a striker depending on the Jacko situation, that our squad should be large enough.

The "Squad Rotation" comment is tongue in cheek but notwithstanding that the goalkeeping situation is my main concern regarding match fitness.

As I say, should there be an injury to Alan Main, we will be exposed with a relatively inexperieced back-up.

Edited by O'Rourke

For the goalkeeper situatiuon I would look at bringing someone in on loan instead of going out and buying someone or paying a signing on fee, unless McInnes wants to get a first choice keeper and have Main as back up

Now is a good time to make a capture as the market price is low. Why delay the inevitable?

For the goalkeeper situatiuon I would look at bringing someone in on loan instead of going out and buying someone or paying a signing on fee, unless McInnes wants to get a first choice keeper and have Main as back up

i haven't seen enough of Mclean to comment on him but i would like to think our back up keeper is good enough to be put between the sticks if Main gets injured, if Del did not have that trust then he should be punted

We're not big enough for that carry on. We need to do well in cups to bolster the finances. Settled starting XI is what we need.

You can dream all you want but you know it wont happen and it wouldn't work if it did happen. The team needs to be set up differently for each opponent.

Sure the same key players should be kept in but you cant have the same 11 all season long.

Rather than a rotation i think Del will select the team that will play best against a certain team, for example, Jackson and Deuchar against a small slow defense, Or Savo and Sammy against a defense that will stand off, Jody and Mooner in the middle against teams that are going to give them space, Then maybe Jody and Hardie for teams like Dundee Utd who will hustle you in the middle of the park, The back 4 i dont think will change much bar injuries

You can dream all you want but you know it wont happen and it wouldn't work if it did happen. The team needs to be set up differently for each opponent.

Sure the same key players should be kept in but you cant have the same 11 all season long.

Agreed.I think the defence is the only part of the team that should be relatively consistent all season long. Playing with the same squad week in week out could become predictable and you'd like to think we'd have a much more attacking set up against Hamilton or the likes than we would against the OF

• 1 month later...

Cos of the U21 rule Craig & Deuchar weren't even on the bench (& that doesn't even allow for the guys out injured) so squad rotation is definitely going to be in play this season. Said in papers when asked about Craig's surprise exclusion from the team against Celtic Del refused to explain his reasoning behind each individual case. Perhaps Craig didn't take it too well?

Cos of the U21 rule Craig & Deuchar weren't even on the bench (& that doesn't even allow for the guys out injured) so squad rotation is definitely going to be in play this season. Said in papers when asked about Craig's surprise exclusion from the team against Celtic Del refused to explain his reasoning behind each individual case. Perhaps Craig didn't take it too well?

Craig should be furious. Del has treated Liam without respect for too long.

I think that with the depth of squad we have, it is a must that we play different formations/players against different teams. I am sure there will be a consistent back bone in certain areas like defence/central midfield but we have enough quality to change things around as it suits. We were never going to go to Celtic playing 4-3-3 just as we will not be playing 4-5-1 against Arbroath (I presume).

Craig should be furious. Del has treated Liam without respect for too long.

Disagree. I think his performances have been very patchy, there are some doubts about his over all fitness and since I am not party to how he was communicated to by Del, not sure whether it was disrespectful or not.

Liam may have spoken to Del at training and said "You Know what boss, I was off the pace against Motherwell. Davidson and Morris were streets ahead of me, so rest me for Parkhead."

Del would have then said respectfully - "Fair Point".

Shouldn't have to explain every decision to the media.