The Ashes

Dr Christmas Jones

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite glad for England with this one. They started by setting what they thought would be a competitive total, got blown away by the Ozzie batters and then when it looked like they would get trounced managed to hold on and hold on by their finger tips.

Brilliant cricket.

Still think Ashes will stay with Australia though. Although I hope not.

A draw is a fantastic result after the way things have gone in this test. Australia will be kicking themselves for letting the opportunity slip.

Looking at it though, you can't help thinking that it's just papering over the cracks for England, they've really got to sort themselves out.

A draw is a fantastic result after the way things have gone in this test. Australia will be kicking themselves for letting the opportunity slip.

Looking at it though, you can't help thinking that it's just papering over the cracks for England, they've really got to sort themselves out.

The problem is that England have played the West Indies too often recently and anyone would look good against these failing, fallen giants of world cricket.

Australia will win this series comfortably. We lost 6 wickets in the match and England 19 and they just got over our total.

4 centurions and an 83, our batsmen will be brimming with confidence which is half of the game.

England will bring back Harmison for Panesar and they will be better, we need to probably bring in Clark for Siddle.

And way to go England bringing the gloves out twice in successive overs AND the trainer for no reason to waste time, real sportsmanship.

England escaped a defeat by the smallest possible margin, Australia will see that as a chance missed, Australia batter too long in their innings, thought they should have declared on 550 to give them enough time to bowl England out

What a stupid bloody sport that you can play for 5 days and not play it out to a result!

And after all the build up and excitement from the English looking forward to playing the Aussies, they spend pretty much the entire match hoping it rains so they dont have to play! Pussies!

England are really going to have to learn how to look after their wicket, there are far to many good batsmen getting out cheaply (not least KP). On the bowling side of things I'd drop Pannesar (who doesn't seem to be the player he was a few years ago) and Broad (who just doesn't do enough with the ball) and bring in Harmison and Onions.

I'd drop Panesar (who doesn't seem to be the player he was a few years ago) and Broad (who just doesn't do enough with the ball) and bring in Harmison and Onions.

Dodgy territory like but its hard not to feel like England are going to have to ring in a few changes, lest they want to go 1-0 down with only 3 to play.

Personally, depending on the pitch, I'd be keeping Panesar. I'm a firm beleiever in having a spinner and he did more than Swann for me in the first match.

Pacemen wise I'm not too sure how to call it. Broad just doesn't look like that class a bowler against top level competition but then again Onions is relativley untested and Harmison... Please, lets just not.

Cheating, who would believe our whiter than white neighbours could stoop so low:laugh:

all part of the game IMHO but they had the audacity to deny any gamesmanship:oops:

Why do they not just admit it, that makes it really embarrassing.

If the Aussies had done that or if someone scored a with a handball in a WC match they would go bananas:laugh:

I luv them so much, they make me laugh at them all the time:laugh:

Dodgy territory like but its hard not to feel like England are going to have to ring in a few changes, lest they want to go 1-0 down with only 3 to play.

Personally, depending on the pitch, I'd be keeping Panesar. I'm a firm beleiever in having a spinner and he did more than Swann for me in the first match.

Swann is the leading wicket taker in test cricket this year (albeit all of them against the West Indies) and his test average is much better than Monty's. I like Monty and I think he might do well at Lord's but they'll only play one spinner and Swann averages 35 with the bat vs. about 5 for Monty and I think that'll be enough to keep him in the team.

Harmison's been bowling well for Durham recently (5 for 60 against Yorkshire in the first innings of the current game) and he'll bring something a bit different to the attack. On his day, he's the best bowler England have got.

I'd drop Pannesar (who doesn't seem to be the player he was a few years ago) and Broad (who just doesn't do enough with the ball) and bring in Harmison and Onions.

Agree with dropping Pannesar as they will only play 1 spinner and Swann is playing better than Monty, but I would leave the rest. I would give Broad another chance at Lords and if it doesn't work out then bring in Onions.

Latest news is that Flintoff needs a scan on the knee he has surgery on earlier this year and that Harmison has been called up as cover.

Assuming Flintoff doesn't play, Harmison coming in for him is going to weaken the batting line up. Given that its a choice between Swann and Panesar, I reckon Panesar will get dropped just for Swanns contribution with the bat.

Not looking rosy for the next Test for England.

Ponting should have not been given out, but have thats the why it go's.

Superb day for England over all, nice catch from board as well.

Now will the Aussie try and cheat and play for time if they have to, or will they be hoping for rain for the next 3 days.

Ponting should have not been given out, but have thats the why it go's.

Superb day for England over all, nice catch from board as well.

Now will the Aussie try and cheat and play for time if they have to, or will they be hoping for rain for the next 3 days.

Ponting was LBW by a mile so in a roundabout way Rudi got it spot on!

Knock them over tomorrow early and force the follow on, but the Lords wicket usually goes flat so it'll be harder getting them out in the second innings, but it's in Englands hands.