Old Perth - Picture Thread

25e Ainslie Place

Is that the old high street looking into town ?

Nah man it was on a wee street called Castle Gable, Infact this was the info wi the pic... Castle Gable long gone, If you walk past the Museum and down Bridge Lane, Castle Gable was on your right hand side.

Edited by chips

Nah man it was on a wee street called Castle Gable, Infact this was the info wi the pic... Castle Gable long gone, If you walk past the Museum and down Bridge Lane, Castle Gable was on your right hand side.

A hoard of silver coins and billons were discovered in a bag in Castle gable in 1803.

It is reckoned they were put there some time after 1488.

Wondered what Billons are/were.

Guess is it was some kind of jewellery or necklace.

Did see a picture of a chain with lions teeth attached.

Apparently in the Perth Museum and Art Gallery there  is a head of a Roman  carved out of bone, which was unearthed at the same time as the coins and  billons.  

You can see the Castle Gable on this old map from 1860.  If you zoom in just above the Horse Cross you can see it has 2 pubs - the Strathtay Inn and the Balmoral Inn plus a wine store.  http://maps.nls.uk/view/74416600

From an old book about Perth:  'The street there has from very remote times been called the Castle Gable, because of a portion of the (Perth) Castle which long remained standing after the rest was in ruins, and to the street leading northward from it—the street of the Castle Gable.'

Edited by Coltrane

You can see the Castle Gable on this old map from 1860. If you zoom in just above the Horse Cross you can see it has 2 pubs - the Strathtay Inn and the Balmoral Inn plus a wine store. http://maps.nls.uk/view/74416600

From an old book about Perth: 'The street there has from very remote times been called the Castle Gable, because of a portion of the (Perth) Castle which long remained standing after the rest was in ruins, and to the street leading northward from it—the street of the Castle Gable.'

Looking at that map, does that make the passage way between concert hall and museum roughly the right place? Wonder if they'll reinstate the name.

Surprised you could remember   :wink:

Hey Sixties , It's the most recent I find difficulty remembering, as you will surely find out.

I have a great recall of my childhood . There again, I did not consume alcohol in my childhood. 

I can remember where I lived in Riggs road and Atholl Street pre school days.  :laugh:

Also remember going to nursery in Florence Place at the corner of Dunkeld. Road ( where a block of flats now exist ) so being so close to Muirton Park must have had an affect on me.

Hey Sixties , It's the most recent I find difficulty remembering, as you will surely find out.

I have a great recall of my childhood . There again, I did not consume alcohol in my childhood. 

I can remember where I lived in Riggs road and Atholl Street pre school days.  :laugh:

Also remember going to nursery in Florence Place at the corner of Dunkeld. Road ( where a block of flats now exist ) so being so close to Muirton Park must have had an affect on me.

Tell me about it Hoodlum, getting more and more senior moments   :?

I remember that nursery. The staff used to line all the perambulators outside in a row every afternoon. Nappies would be drying on the washing line.

My mum as I recall, took me to the steamie in Murray St/ Mill St .

Went with the pram and had it fully laden.

At that time there was funny restrictions like you were governed on the days you were allowed to take your rugs outdoors, to beat them ( no wall to wall carpets in those days).

Living at 11 Stormont House/13 Atholl Street, we went down the North Inch where there were wooden posts with hooks on them, to hang a washing line.

Rugs/carpets were beaten with a broad cane to remove the dust/stoor.

Sure it was highlighted elsewhere, that the last remaining post, ( and was in the local press) was cut down as it was a H & S hazard.

As one approached the North Inch from Barossa Place, these washing lines/posts were directly ahead.

Anyone got any pics of the 'steamie' in Canal St?

Used to warm my hands on the boilerhoose wall on the way to school in the winter, my mother went to steamies on Thursdays wie the regulation auld pram.

The cafeteria did a braw lettuce and tomato roll went there for my lunch when mother wis doing the wash, remember the big feckin roller that ironed the sheets the calendar it wis called

steamie wifies put the sheets in one side and aw the wifies collected and folded their sheets and big items on the other side one hell of a experience to witness.

Any younger generation reading this dinnae complain when you have to put a load in your fancy automatic washer, the steamies were akin to a feckin sweatshop because they had a certain amount of time to do their wash,

then away hame wash four flights off stairs and the close then cook the tea feckin respect for my mother and all the other mothers that had to go through this soul destroying regime every week off their lives.