Old Perth - Picture Thread

25e Ainslie Place

Reposting this pic. I always remember the smell coming from Gloags as i waited at this stop and as someone mentioned before,the mad barsteward who flew in and out of the gates in his fecking forklift,just for the record no this wisnae the bus i used to get,this pic is from circa 1960's.

154406_451145228282933_435921963_n_zpsd0

That wis the bond the office wis on the corner off Mill St and Kinoull St Edited by john.w

Jeez I'm auld chips no that feckin auld,where these two boys are standing is that the lane where the roman wall is?

When I originally posted the photo I did comment this was before your time John, no by much mind you :D

Yes where they guys are standing leads to Castle Gable

Reposting this pic. I always remember the smell coming from Gloags as i waited at this stop and as someone mentioned before,the mad barsteward who flew in and out of the gates in his fecking forklift,just for the record no this wisnae the bus i used to get,this pic is from circa 1960's.

154406_451145228282933_435921963_n_zpsd0

Might have been Davie Whitehead on the forklift.  Seem to recall him buzzing around Kinnoull St. back in the 70's.

Might have been Davie Whitehead on the forklift. Seem to recall him buzzing around Kinnoull St. back in the 70's.

No idea what his name was but I kinda thought he was a bit ratty in the heid department. He came in and oot they gates at a fair old speed, never stopped to check the coast was clear. Luckily we were always aware of him so would be cautious if the gates were open. Saying that I never ever heard of anybody getting hurt there. Health n safety would have him in high viz vest, flashing lights and street blocked off nowadays

Edited by chips

This was my era for standing at that stop :wink:

1186059_585807108150077_564508277_n_zpsl

A McLellan double decker brings back memories the BB used to hire them to take us to camp at Elie and on the odd occasion would get lost in Fife on the way there.

Got to add the buses were off an older vintage in them days

Used to get on the back lorries taking equipment to set up BB camp was alright till it started raining,

BTW John remember the Ship Inn down the brae from the camp on the front just had a big refit, will have to have a trip down memory when I go back up.

When I wis back last year for I canny remember for what I had a drive round the East Neuk wie the laddie and stopped at the field where the camp was looked kinda desolate wie Nae bell tents and big marquee. Wadeslea Farm wis the place Edited by john.w

I too wis in the BBs (17th Letham) and took they blue and white buses tae camp. We only went tae Elie once, it wis usually Leven. Memories of that time include..

- Food fights in the mess tent when the Ossifers went for their fly tipple

- Eddie Calderwood's grace "For whit we are about tae receive, may the Lord make us truly thankful, fer f**k's sake, amen"

- Neil McLagan nearly getting shot with an arrow through the big tent

- Bumping the Penny Falls machine at the beach arcade tae get free coin

- Winning the cricket (thanks "Tetanus") buying beer to celebrate, getting sent hame early

- Throwing this annoying guy fae the 12th (JoJo) in "the pit"

- My two mates crapping in Cochrane's shoe just before inspection

- Painting the seats o the Girls' Brigade latrines wi Lyle's Golden Syrup

- Peeling tatties, then becoming a tent commander and delegating it

- Getting something very unpleasant from a girl called Marion

Great memories.

Edited by babychunder

Does anyone else remember when all of the Lifeboys/Boys brigade companies came together and put on a show at Perth Theatre. I was in the 9th at the time but moved to the 17th soon after so I didnae have to get the bus to town as I lived in Strathtay Road. Think it was around about 71/72 maybe earlier. it was called Alex in Wonderland I think?

Remember marching down the aisles and on to the stage at the end singing "For We're BB Companies from near and far, in every little thing we do we are, most cheerful and gay, chasing troubles away with the songs we sing for you"

The innocence of youth!!

Does anyone else remember when all of the Lifeboys/Boys brigade companies came together and put on a show at Perth Theatre. I was in the 9th at the time but moved to the 17th soon after so I didnae have to get the bus to town as I lived in Strathtay Road. Think it was around about 71/72 maybe earlier. it was called Alex in Wonderland I think?

Remember marching down the aisles and on to the stage at the end singing "For We're BB Companies from near and far, in every little thing we do we are, most cheerful and gay, chasing troubles away with the songs we sing for you"

The innocence of youth!!

"In Perth there's a team that plays football

At Muirton Park with Pearson and Hall

The fans should stop shouting with such derision

It's far too good a team for the second division."

BB Summer Holiday at Perth Theatre circa 72/73?

The innocence of youth!!

:shock:

A McLellan double decker brings back memories the BB used to hire them to take us to camp at Elie and on the odd occasion would get lost in Fife on the way there.

Got to add the buses were off an older vintage in them days

I wis thinking McLellan's buses were lucky probably sourced from some big city to finish their careers driving around the hamlets of Stanley,Murthly, Caputh and Spittalfield in bonny Perthshire nice way to end your career