Old Perth - Picture Thread

25e Ainslie Place

2 hours ago, chips said:

For our mad poster Abernethy Saint... he's just a wee laddie in this image..

High Street, Abernethy, about 1903. A horse and cart disappear down the road and a small child on the right watches the photographer. The row of businesses on the left, include Mrs J Edminston Groceries and Provisions; David Scott, Grocer; and J Davidson, Porter and Ales.

EHAzTAbWkAEm8xP.jpeg

Braw! The 3 businesses are now, respectively, a shut-down pub (The Inn), a hoose, and the (only) village shop. The one below, probably from the same series of photos, shows on the right the first hoose I bought in Nethy, about ninety years later. Sadly, no one had done any maintenance in the meantime...... The garden was full of weird stuff, eg a patio area paved with gravestones. You felt you had to apologise every time you walked on it.....

4D723AA3-39E4-4073-A979-4E98C75A60A9.jpeg

In the background, you can see the chimney of the old, wee gasworks. On my first night in Nethy in 1992, I went to the bar of the old Abernethy Hotel (now flats and a tea shop, owned by a religious cult!!), and met an ancient guy whose first job as a 12 year old well before WW 1 was to clean the ashes out of the boiler grate every morning. I later bought a house built on the site of the gasworks (latterly the coal merchants yard).

I think I might be getting old.

7 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

In the background, you can see the chimney of the old, wee gasworks. On my first night in Nethy in 1992, I went to the bar of the old Abernethy Hotel (now flats and a tea shop, owned by a religious cult!!), and met an ancient guy whose first job as a 12 year old well before WW 1 was to clean the ashes out of the boiler grate every morning. I later bought a house built on the site of the gasworks (latterly the coal merchants yard).

I think I might be getting old.

Strange how when villages get bigger & more residents there is fewer facilities ,shops ,pubs etc.

Remember a wee shop just as you went into the main Street which I think was the only one that sold papers & I think the old person was almost blind & am sure was diddled a few times.

13 hours ago, Cagey said:

Strange how when villages get bigger & more residents there is fewer facilities ,shops ,pubs etc.

Remember a wee shop just as you went into the main Street which I think was the only one that sold papers & I think the old person was almost blind & am sure was diddled a few times.

That was Betty’s shop. The poor old dear finally gave up when robbed, yet again, this time at knife point, and died a couple of years later. Folk still refer to the house that the shop then became as “Betty’s”.