Caledonian Road School

Saint Ziggy Stardust

All my family went to the Caley, me personally from 1978. used to live in the houses at Long Causway before the knocked them down and we headed to Letham, but still took the bus to the Caley. Still remember walking through the mart to get to school and always greeted by the ***lypop lady (what was her name?) to cross the road. Many good memories from that school, I am sure I still have my old school tie somewhere with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place badges with stars they used to give on sports day at the south inch.

mrs patterson was her name.her husband was the community policeman that used to visit the school.i went from 1979 cant say i have a bad memory of the place,except the bog always stank of pish.

I also went to The Caley from 1986 - 1993. Still remember Miss Fothergill looking about 80 when i was in primary 7! Mr Munro was a total legend as a headmaster and still speaks to his ex pupils if he recognises a face in town. You cant beat playing football on a concrete playground and smashing a few windows in the process!!

used to go round to the bus station at lunchtime to get pears from the trees round there.

play in the lifts at the newly built pomarium flats.

used tae be a nightmare climbing over the fence tae get the fitba' at playtime.

used tae dare each other tae go doon the lane tae the girl's playground. or dare to climb up the fire escape at the front of the school.

used to stay in newhouse road, got the school bus home, got off at mavisbank to race the bus to the next stop (common practise), ran behind the bus into another bus, in hospital for a wee while. ouch.

it was all wood inside, a fire hazard if ever there was one, would not get away with it nowadays.

watched the highlights Ziare Scotland WC match 1974 in the tele rooom in the attic at 10am on a Friday morning.

used to queue up outside the annex to get dinner, queued up for extras too, it was also the gym hall.

the morning after we beat Czeckoslovakia in 1973 to qualify for Germany we had a big Scotland sing song at lunchtime under the shed in the playground, it felt great.

30 aside fitba matches at playtime in the concrete playground, you had to dribble past all the other kids that werent playing.

outside toilets with green doors.

Edited by wee john

My god john i forgot about that pear tree,the we bit land between the bus station and the flats brilliant.I went there from nov 73 until 77 when i then went to north muirton, remember my sister not well one day being sick through the fence in the girls bit and could not help her as i was locked in the boys section,remember the fitbaw always rolling down the road and under a bus or so,the fire escape and the wooden box thing with the metal studs on it near the fire stairs,and down the inch for sports day.Who was the teacher that was a minister or am i wrong ?

You must have been there same time as me, did you get the school bus from North Muirton to the Caley? I remember one day a wee lassie got on the bus then realised she'd forgotten her bag. She was killed by another bus coming in the opposite direction when she was running back to get it. Cara Place she lived.

You must have been there same time as me, did you get the school bus from North Muirton to the Caley? I remember one day a wee lassie got on the bus then realised she'd forgotten her bag. She was killed by another bus coming in the opposite direction when she was running back to get it. Cara Place she lived.

Was that Peter Hutchisons wee sister??? I seem to recall when that happened. Peter was in my class.. Was that about 1975/76??

Was that Peter Hutchisons wee sister??? I seem to recall when that happened. Peter was in my class.. Was that about 1975/76??

It was his sister yes. Must have been around 76 as I was only at the Caley for a couple of years 76-77ish. I still remember the accident quite vividly. Strangely, there was no screams or crying just a long silence from the kids on the bus including me, just total shock set in. It happened just across and up a bit from the bus stop at Shuna Court. She would have died instantly as the other bus ran right over the top of her.

and down the inch for sports day.Who was the teacher that was a minister or am i wrong ?

Mrs McLean's husband was a meenister if that's what you're thinking of. Never mind Sports Day, I mind of going for our school trip down the Inch one year instead of Blair Drummond Safari park for some reason. Remember the garage across the road getting knocked down (where the doctors surgery is now) and them giving out wee metal discs with pictures of the Scotland '74 team on them. Still feel the pain yet of kicking the supports for the metal fences instead of the ball one dinner time.

Anybody else remember the whole school going over to the railway station back car park to wave stupid wee union jacks at the queen during her Silver Jubilee tour?

Mrs McLean's husband was a meenister if that's what you're thinking of. Never mind Sports Day, I mind of going for our school trip down the Inch one year instead of Blair Drummond Safari park for some reason. Remember the garage across the road getting knocked down (where the doctors surgery is now) and them giving out wee metal discs with pictures of the Scotland '74 team on them. Still feel the pain yet of kicking the supports for the metal fences instead of the ball one dinner time.

Anybody else remember the whole school going over to the railway station back car park to wave stupid wee union jacks at the queen during her Silver Jubilee tour?

I wiz there:oops: Did we not go to Craigtoun Park for the school trip one year. As usual I got intae bother:oops:

School trip doon the Inch..Did we no get intae bother there as well:oops:

You cant beat playing football on a concrete playground and smashing a few windows in the process!!

We used to play football in a covered porch that ran from the just outside the lavvy door to ten feet from the school. One day I put a ball throught the headmasters window.

Mr. McKinnon came and got me from class (someone from North Muirton probably ratted me out.). He took me to his office to inspect the damage and I thought I was in for six 'o the best. The janny was fixing the window and he looked at me like I was the condemned man, then he gave me a wink. Mr. McKinnon lectured me on the burden I was to the taxpayers of Perth and Kinross. He asked me if I had scored on the shot heard round the world, and I admitted that I had.

I was about greetin' when he said that if I had missed, I would have gotten a thrashing, but since I scored he would do nothing at this time but he would have "my beady little eyes on you, Smith".

Then he gave me a granny sooker! What a man he was.

Smudge

P.S. The playground surface was tarmac, because we dug a hole in it when it was the season for bools.

S.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few memories of the Caley especially between 1967 - 74:

1. In the winter time, if it had been snowing or icy, having a big slide down the middle of the boys playground. Running from school end down towards the toilets.

2. The old drinking well which was on the wall of the 'big' toilets. Used often in the winter when you would fill your mouth with water and spit it out onto the slide. In really cold weather the slide would be like glass!

3. Slide often spoiled by The Janny - Harry McInroy - who would throw grit onto it - the b****d! - I can say that as he was my wife's uncle!!!

4. Wasn't any wire mesh on the railings then - if the football (from the 30 a side games between the opposing Primary 7 classes) went over the railings you had to risk being impaled on the spikes - Health and safety, I don't think so!!! Saw a few pairs of breeks ruined on these railings.

5. Old Sandy the Scaffy that lived round the corner - what would be said about him now???

The memories are flooding back!

Guest ManWithNoName

Drove past the place when heading home from work today. I never went there so i don't have feelings towards the place like some of you guys who do, but it was still a sad sight to see the place so lifeless.

but it was still a sad sight to see the place so lifeless.

Indeed.

Since this topic came to my attention I've been feeling bad about the old place. It's strange (or perhaps not too strange) to think of something you have always taken for granted is no more. 'Kinda like losing yer mum. Alma Mater and all that.

Smudge

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The twenty original members of the Club each gave £1 and following negotiations with Sir Robert Moncrieff over the summer of 1885 a lease was taken out on a strip of land known as Craigie Haugh. Directly opposite Perth prison (itself opened in 1842) the new ground was situated just behind the present-day petrol station on land now occupied by Stephens the housebuilder.

Borrowed from Saints history to clarify the actual placement of the ground.

Recreation Park was Defenitly behind south lnch terrace i was brought up in the terrace and used to squeeze thro the tin fence and play on the grass which u could see was a football pitch   at one time . It was a scrappy called Thompson that owned it at the time and he used to train harness horses round  the cinder track .He was an evil so so and was always chasing us 

• 2 weeks later...