Perth Characters who are now deid!

25e Ainslie Place

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2009 at 8:48 PM, Remberbuck said:

Think we may have two Lord Roberts here?

My candidate was a patient at the Murray Royal who, legend has it, was put there by his family. I am pretty sure he came from genuine wealth and a Nairnshire estate was in the background, but he was mad.

He would wander around the North Inch in the evening, and it was an adventure to talk to him - and I know we are a lot wiser now.

He died late 1970s I guess - but I think he would have enjoyed selling match programmes.

I remember a "Lord Robert" that came to Dalguise House (Dunkeld) with a load of us from Perth Boys Clubs and obviously with adult supervision on a camping weekend.  Yes very well spoken "toff" with an occasional foul mouth. I remember we floated his brown brogues in the pond and thereafter learned a whole new Thesaurus of curses :):)  Happy dauys

There was a Lord Robert who stayed in a certain homeless hostel (he had left before I started working there), reputedly was a surgeons consultant in Edinburgh before having a mental breakdown and for some reason ended up in Perth. Fella had a bit of money and was always ushered to a private room when he entered his bank, never claimed any benefits and always paid his hostel dues in cash. Story goes he had a jaguar car parked up in the Glover St area which sat for a few years but he was savvy enough to keep it in good order throughout his time here. Then seemingly one day he as staff put it "came to his senses" packed up his belongings uncluding a filing cabinet from his room and shoved it all in his jaguar stating he was going home to Edinburgh and has never been seen since. Whether it's a fully true story or not I've no idea but the longer term staff are adamant and he is on record of having stayed in that building. 

• 4 weeks later...

Lord Robert could be seen at the North Inch cricket matches, when Perthshire were in the County league.

Wore corduroy trousers, tweed jacket with brown/tan coloured leather patches on the elbows. Brown brogues on his feet.

Very posh spoken.

Had a large indentation on his bald head.

Rumour has it he got kicked in the head by a horse.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...