#16 - 21/11/09 - Hearts 1-2 Saints - SPL

101 Saint

Bear in mind that the old guys you think should stay at home have probably been supporting Saints longer than you've been breathing. Doesn't mean they are any less avid supporters than you are.

I wasn't at Aberdeen but I do get pissed off when I'm watching a game and as soon as the ball gets into the penalty area some clown jumps up in front of me waving his arms and I miss the essential part of the action. Jump up by all means after the goal or save or whatever. If Saints score we all jump up- but let the people behind you see the action as well. Its not as if you see it any better by standing up.

And as far as saying anyone objecting should stay at home or go to the front- isn't that attitude just as bad- telling Saints fans to stay away. Why don't you go to the back if you want to stand?

I sympathise if you were actually removed for standing up- thats too severe and I would never want to see Saints lose a supporter- but I can't believe you didn't get a few warnings first.

Bit more tolerance and understanding needed on both sides I think.

I completely agree. I'm not referring to the specific situation being discussed here as I've no idea what went on, but I know from experience that it's very annoying when you get someone in front of you at a match who insists on standing up, or jumping up and down at every little refereeing decision, and selfishly blocking your view throughout the game. When I'm in a seated area I generally try to minimise the amount of time that I'm on my feet, because I'm conscious of the fact that it might be a problem for the person behind me - so it's irritating when the person in front of me doesn't extend that same courtesy. If a fellow fan, elderly or otherwise, taps you on the shoulder and asks you to sit down so that they can see the game, is it really a hardship to oblige? A lot of people (arguably a majority) go to the football purely to watch the football, and not to jump around in front of their seat - but I've noticed over the years from reading the forum that some people seem to have a bit of a problem with that, and reckon that standing up and shouting somehow makes them a better fan or gives them more right to be there. What's wrong with being old and wanting to sit and watch Saints play? I imagine most of us on here will be in that situation one day.

While I agree with both of the above, this particular incident was slightly different. Firstly, GWR had to stand up because if he had not, he would have seen very little of the game himself. The problems in Aberdeen stemmed from way down from where we we sitting. The majority of fans were standing up for long periods and this just worked it's way back. I, like Mainstand, try not to stand unless I really have to or in the aftermath of something exciting having happened on the pitch. I am also very consious of people behind me and I try not to ruin their view. At Pittodrie I spent a large portion of the match on my feet because like GWR I would have seen sod all had I not. The fans that argued with GWR seemed not to understand this, and coupled with their aggressive attitude, this led to a lot of the problems. The actual boy who complained to the police was not even a Saints fan. He was an ICT fan and was a total prick. And he never actually complained about GWR standing up, he complained about being manhandled by both GWR and the main protagonist behind. The boy was in the row between GWR and the old guy and as they argued and it got more heated the chap behind was leaning well forward and GWR was doing the same back the way. This tool in the middle then stormed passed me muttering something about having had enough of this and went to talk to a copper. He is the boyfriend of Mrs Ghosts daughters pal, who came to the game with us and I was later told he was a bit of a d*** who had previous for this sort of thing. After he had complained he never came back to his seat, prefering to take his hissy fit elsewhere. His girlfriend went with him initially I believe, but she returned for the second half without him. I don't know where he went to sit after that..

In this instance GWR did sod all wrong apart from perhaps just ignoring the old guys...

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with both of the above, this particular incident was slightly different. Firstly, GWR had to stand up because if he had not, he would have seen very little of the game himself. The problems in Aberdeen stemmed from way down from where we we sitting. The majority of fans were standing up for long periods and this just worked it's way back. I, like Mainstand, try not to stand unless I really have to or in the aftermath of something exciting having happened on the pitch. I am also very consious of people behind me and I try not to ruin their view. At Pittodrie I spent a large portion of the match on my feet because like GWR I would have seen sod all had I not. The fans that argued with GWR seemed not to understand this, and coupled with their aggressive attitude, this led to a lot of the problems. The actual boy who complained to the police was not even a Saints fan. He was an ICT fan and was a total prick. And he never actually complained about GWR standing up, he complained about being manhandled by both GWR and the main protagonist behind. The boy was in the row between GWR and the old guy and as they argued and it got more heated the chap behind was leaning well forward and GWR was doing the same back the way. This tool in the middle then stormed passed me muttering something about having had enough of this and went to talk to a copper. He is the boyfriend of Mrs Ghosts daughters pal, who came to the game with us and I was later told he was a bit of a d*** who had previous for this sort of thing. After he had complained he never came back to his seat, prefering to take his hissy fit elsewhere. His girlfriend went with him initially I believe, but she returned for the second half without him. I don't know where he went to sit after that..

In this instance GWR did sod all wrong apart from perhaps just ignoring the old guys...

That is a very good point, the segregation fence meant that GWR and friends had an obstructed view of the pitch thanks to said segregation fence, now most people who sit near a segregation fence like the one at pittodrie surely understand that the segregation fence may well block your view and as such they as well as others around them may have to stand up in order to see the game, now I accept that some people may have difficulty jumping up and down in a way that many people do at the football, however what I don't understand is why someone who wants to sit down for the entire 90 minutes and watch their game without having their view blocked sits somewhere where a segregation fence blocks their view.

Can someone explain why these gentlemen sat where they did because surely when they first arrived at their seats they would have seen they had an obstructed view of half of the pitch, and therefore they would have moved seats to somewhere where they would have enjoyed an unobstructed view of the pitch without leaving their seats

To be fair; if you had to stand up to see the game shouldn't you have sat somewhere where you had an unobstructed view!?! You can't blame people for having a go at you if they can't see the game for you.

FWIW I don't think there are any obstructed seats in the away section, other than outside the enclosure.

To be fair; if you had to stand up to see the game shouldn't you have sat somewhere where you had an unobstructed view!?! You can't blame people for having a go at you if they can't see the game for you.

FWIW I don't think there are any obstructed seats in the away section, other than outside the enclosure.

I did, i moved to the front row well away from everyone else but was still thrown out

I did, i moved to the front row well away from everyone else but was still thrown out

I know you did, and fair play to you for doing that.

I was replying to Thomas SJFC who is saying these other guys should have moved to see the game from better seats but thinks its ok for him to not move, and block other people into the bargain.

I know you did, and fair play to you for doing that.

I was replying to Thomas SJFC who is saying these other guys should have moved to see the game from better seats but thinks its ok for him to not move, and block other people into the bargain.

No i was saying that those who want an unbstruced view shouldn't sit where a fence is obstructing their view of half the pitch.

Sorry if you misunderstood my point.

So if the people 20 rows in front are standing, and those 19 rows in front need to stand to see and those 18 rows have to stand to see etc , etc WTF are you meant to do.. Go down to the first row and ask them to sit down??

As for an obstructed view, the fecking segregation fence did indeed obstruct my view and that of everyone around me..

No i was saying that those who want an unbstruced view shouldn't sit where a fence is obstructing their view of half the pitch.

Sorry if you misunderstood my point.

I haven't.

You shouldn't have sat in a seat where you had to stand to see half the game because of the fence either. You can't argue they should have moved but you didn't need to.

I was sitting far away from the fence and couldn't see a lot of the play because of the fence. The last 10mins was great with everyone seemingly standing though :laugh:

I haven't.

You shouldn't have sat in a seat where you had to stand to see half the game because of the fence either. You can't argue they should have moved but you didn't need to.

I was sitting far away from the fence and couldn't see a lot of the play because of the fence. The last 10mins was great with everyone seemingly standing though :laugh:

i never had a feckin problem where i was sitting and standing WHY THE F@@K is this garbage in the saints v hearts bit eh?did i tell ye i am goin on the chooch tae Edinburgh.

As for an obstructed view, the fecking segregation fence did indeed obstruct my view and that of everyone around me..

Meant no un-obstructed seats :oops:

End of the day...none of you should have sat next to the fence...you know you won't see! :razz: