Your Auld School Teachers - Like and Dislike

25e Ainslie Place

On 1/22/2019 at 8:57 AM, lawman said:

So sorry to hear about Archie Hogg

Always had great laughs in his class... and he had a nickname for everyone  in those less politically correct days! 

He used to drink in the Barossa Street Saints club and one day he was in my mum asked him if he would drop some stuff off for me at Aberdeen University! To her surprise he agreed and over the four years I was there he will do that about once a month!  Always had a funny comment and a grrrrrr for me every time he saw me  but clearly had a heart of gold 

RIP Archie

Nice story of a nice man.
Never knew him, but my wife did and said he was a lovely guy.
RIP

• 3 months later...

Very interesting thread indeed.

I was at Caledonian Road for Primary one (79/80). I can't remember my teacher but I do remember getting Milk in class (1/3 of a pint?) but it was stopped by the time I went to primary 2. I can't remember any teachers from Cally Road.

Primary 2 to 7 I was at Goodlyburn. 

P2 - Miss Morrison who became Mrs Mailer (it may have been the other way around). Wore long boots and long skirts.

P3 - Can't remember at all

P4 - I can't remember her name, but she had curly hair and a chubby face but not a chubby frame, wore lots of lipstick. Quite young.

P5 - Miss McLennan - Good teacher, religious, which looking back was reflected a little too much in her lessons, perhaps.

P6 - Mr Peggie, who was also the head teacher at that point, with Mrs Bruce as his deputy.

P7 - Miss Taylor another good teacher, with a good sense of humour. i remember we got on.

At first PE teacher was a female, but i don't have a clue on her name. Later it was the (infamous) Mr Kerr of Perth academy (in)fame(y). He was of course nicknamed "Wang".

Secondary School was at perth academy, Viewlands building throughout. August 85 to May 92 I was in class 1/2 in first year and 2/8 in 2nd year. It would appear that some on here were at PA at the same time as me.

Grouped by subject:

English - Mr laing (Head of department?), (Jimmy) Donald, A female teacher who was head of dept after Mr laing, can't remember her name but it changed,as she got married whilst I was there. Another female teacher who I can't remember. Might have been deputy of the department - slim woman, not the best complexion but pretty in her own sort of way - I had a bit of a thing for her at the time)

French - Dr Douglas (i don't disagree with previous assessments, I didn't particularly like him and if you weren't one of his favourites, forget it - I think he taught Russian as well), Mr McMillan (brilliant teacher and good humoured, but woe betide if you stepped out of line!) , Mr Ross (Grumpy chap Tall, dark hair, 5 o'clock shadow permanently across his face)

Accounts - Mr Nicol (slap an' Tickle) and Miss Pope (contrary to other reports here, I thought she was okay)

Physics - Mr McCubbin (one of the worst teachers I ever had and I came away with the distinct impression he wasn't a very nice person deep down - vindictive and derisory - hated him if truth be told - Like an earlier poster I remember the car scraping incident well. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!.), Mr Clark (another brilliant teacher, but another one you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of. Mr Young (a nice guy and good teacher, I think he came from Perth High School), Dr Liebscher (mad as a bag of squirrels, couldn't control the class. A couple of things I remember - at the time there was a song in the charts and the tagline was "bass, how low can you go" and whenever the good doctor read out announcements about the young scientists group (British Association of Young Scientists - BASE),  the class would sing "how low can you go" after he said it. The other indelible memory was if you pushed him to the point of breaking you would be ejected from the class with a tirade of "Shut up and gedout" in an uncanny Schwarzenegger accent. Invariably the aforementioned Mr Clark would pass as you were standing outside the class door and then it was P1 or P2 time! We then had a relatively young woman for physics, Miss Stewart I think. (Came into class often with a hangover. Liked the indie music of the time. She was alright, but not the best teacher.)

Chemistry - Mr  Walker (?) (Not 100% sure on that, spoke with a bit of a lisp, young guy fair hair with a beard, not good at controlling unruly class members. Threw metre sticks at people when he lost his temper (and blackboard dusters!)). In first year we had a guy who's name escapes me, looked like a tefal man in some respects. Softly spoken. (Mr Morrison maybe?)

History - Mr Walker (He was okay, but quite monotone and droll), Mr Thomson (Head of department and brilliant, had such a dry wit.)

Maths - Dr Ramsay (As has been said before, a very good teacher, good humoured unless you p****d him off. I can't actually remember any other maths teachers I had. and I went all the way to higher (and failed!)

Biology - Miss Brooks (at the time delectable, but looking back she wasn't anything of the sort, really.....)

Art - Mr Mowatt (Pompous, opinionated, snob)

PE - Mr Munro (If you weren't a rugby boy then he wasn't interested - criticised boys for being so into football whilst not knowing all the rules properly, byt refused to then teach us the rules). Mr Kerr (I could never understand how someone who clearly didn't like kids would go into a job teaching kids - He once threw a basketball at me so hard it nearly knocked me over, so I threw it back at a similar force, for him to throw it even harder and knock me on my backside and inflict bruised ribs on me - presumably to teach me a lesson -Why are PE teachers so nasty? in 1986 we were 12 years old for pity sake...........)

RE - Mrs Shewan (not a nice person, and looking back she criticised a lot of religions other than christianity so it wasn't religious education at all - We were all envious of the Jehovah's Witnesses in the class who were obviously exempt from attending RE. Miss Packer also taught RE, but i never got her and she came with the same reputation.

I can't remember any names for Craft & Design, Home Economics, Computing, Music, nor Geography. There was a rumour that two of the Home Ec teachers were lesbians, and "with" each other, but that could just be meddlesome boys at their best (worst). First year music, was with the department head

Possibly Mr Patterson for Modern Studies?

Mr Grey was the Assistant or deputy rector. I remember George Thomson as well in assistant rector role? I can't remember who the rector was, but i remember he was a bit wet and ineffective, probably too much the opposite way from previous tyrants. The helt had been abolished by the time I got to secondary school. Mrs Tweedy (did she teach English?) was in a position of authority, and quite fearsome at school, but I later became her neighbour in my late twenties and she was a genuinely lovely woman in civvy street. Mrs Nicol (Wife of above named) ran the tuck shop. At times with an iron fist but then it could get a bid rowdy in the queue so perfectly justified).

Memories, eh?

Edited by P3K

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/28/2019 at 2:07 PM, P3K said:

Very interesting thread indeed.

I was at Caledonian Road for Primary one (79/80). I can't remember my teacher but I do remember getting Milk in class (1/3 of a pint?) but it was stopped by the time I went to primary 2. I can't remember any teachers from Cally Road.

Primary 2 to 7 I was at Goodlyburn. 

P2 - Miss Morrison who became Mrs Mailer (it may have been the other way around). Wore long boots and long skirts.

P3 - Can't remember at all

P4 - I can't remember her name, but she had curly hair and a chubby face but not a chubby frame, wore lots of lipstick. Quite young.

P5 - Miss McLennan - Good teacher, religious, which looking back was reflected a little too much in her lessons, perhaps.

P6 - Mr Peggie, who was also the head teacher at that point, with Mrs Bruce as his deputy.

P7 - Miss Taylor another good teacher, with a good sense of humour. i remember we got on.

At first PE teacher was a female, but i don't have a clue on her name. Later it was the (infamous) Mr Kerr of Perth academy (in)fame(y). He was of course nicknamed "Wang".

Secondary School was at perth academy, Viewlands building throughout. August 85 to May 92 I was in class 1/2 in first year and 2/8 in 2nd year. It would appear that some on here were at PA at the same time as me.

Grouped by subject:

English - Mr laing (Head of department?), (Jimmy) Donald, A female teacher who was head of dept after Mr laing, can't remember her name but it changed,as she got married whilst I was there. Another female teacher who I can't remember. Might have been deputy of the department - slim woman, not the best complexion but pretty in her own sort of way - I had a bit of a thing for her at the time)

French - Dr Douglas (i don't disagree with previous assessments, I didn't particularly like him and if you weren't one of his favourites, forget it - I think he taught Russian as well), Mr McMillan (brilliant teacher and good humoured, but woe betide if you stepped out of line!) , Mr Ross (Grumpy chap Tall, dark hair, 5 o'clock shadow permanently across his face)

Accounts - Mr Nicol (slap an' Tickle) and Miss Pope (contrary to other reports here, I thought she was okay)

Physics - Mr McCubbin (one of the worst teachers I ever had and I came away with the distinct impression he wasn't a very nice person deep down - vindictive and derisory - hated him if truth be told - Like an earlier poster I remember the car scraping incident well. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!.), Mr Clark (another brilliant teacher, but another one you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of. Mr Young (a nice guy and good teacher, I think he came from Perth High School), Dr Liebscher (mad as a bag of squirrels, couldn't control the class. A couple of things I remember - at the time there was a song in the charts and the tagline was "bass, how low can you go" and whenever the good doctor read out announcements about the young scientists group (British Association of Young Scientists - BASE),  the class would sing "how low can you go" after he said it. The other indelible memory was if you pushed him to the point of breaking you would be ejected from the class with a tirade of "Shut up and gedout" in an uncanny Schwarzenegger accent. Invariably the aforementioned Mr Clark would pass as you were standing outside the class door and then it was P1 or P2 time! We then had a relatively young woman for physics, Miss Stewart I think. (Came into class often with a hangover. Liked the indie music of the time. She was alright, but not the best teacher.)

Chemistry - Mr  Walker (?) (Not 100% sure on that, spoke with a bit of a lisp, young guy fair hair with a beard, not good at controlling unruly class members. Threw metre sticks at people when he lost his temper (and blackboard dusters!)). In first year we had a guy who's name escapes me, looked like a tefal man in some respects. Softly spoken. (Mr Morrison maybe?)

History - Mr Walker (He was okay, but quite monotone and droll), Mr Thomson (Head of department and brilliant, had such a dry wit.)

Maths - Dr Ramsay (As has been said before, a very good teacher, good humoured unless you p****d him off. I can't actually remember any other maths teachers I had. and I went all the way to higher (and failed!)

Biology - Miss Brooks (at the time delectable, but looking back she wasn't anything of the sort, really.....)

Art - Mr Mowatt (Pompous, opinionated, snob)

PE - Mr Munro (If you weren't a rugby boy then he wasn't interested - criticised boys for being so into football whilst not knowing all the rules properly, byt refused to then teach us the rules). Mr Kerr (I could never understand how someone who clearly didn't like kids would go into a job teaching kids - He once threw a basketball at me so hard it nearly knocked me over, so I threw it back at a similar force, for him to throw it even harder and knock me on my backside and inflict bruised ribs on me - presumably to teach me a lesson -Why are PE teachers so nasty? in 1986 we were 12 years old for pity sake...........)

RE - Mrs Shewan (not a nice person, and looking back she criticised a lot of religions other than christianity so it wasn't religious education at all - We were all envious of the Jehovah's Witnesses in the class who were obviously exempt from attending RE. Miss Packer also taught RE, but i never got her and she came with the same reputation.

I can't remember any names for Craft & Design, Home Economics, Computing, Music, nor Geography. There was a rumour that two of the Home Ec teachers were lesbians, and "with" each other, but that could just be meddlesome boys at their best (worst). First year music, was with the department head

Possibly Mr Patterson for Modern Studies?

Mr Grey was the Assistant or deputy rector. I remember George Thomson as well in assistant rector role? I can't remember who the rector was, but i remember he was a bit wet and ineffective, probably too much the opposite way from previous tyrants. The helt had been abolished by the time I got to secondary school. Mrs Tweedy (did she teach English?) was in a position of authority, and quite fearsome at school, but I later became her neighbour in my late twenties and she was a genuinely lovely woman in civvy street. Mrs Nicol (Wife of above named) ran the tuck shop. At times with an iron fist but then it could get a bid rowdy in the queue so perfectly justified).

Memories, eh?

I was at the academy from 89-95 and remember many of the teachers names you've mentioned. Do you remember Dr Russell the French teacher who always wore a kilt and tweed jacket? 

Mr Young the physics teacher was a good guy and clearly didn't like McCubbin either. A prik of a man. 

Andy Latto the art teacher was a good guy too. 

And Mr Smeaton the tech teacher was great. Had him in 5th and 6th year. Got along great with him. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
19 hours ago, Evansabove said:

Mr Swanson , Geography .

Made every lesson enjoyable. If you got caught talking you went and took the lesson for 10 minutes . When I was leaving to move schools had a going away party …… think it was glad you’re going . Every ex school mate always talks about his classes . 

He was the last one you wanted the belt from at PHS, fuk that hurt.

Stung like feck , visit to the Doc for some pain killers!

Edited by Ginger Bakers rebel army
Added more

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/19/2022 at 6:00 PM, Steve Wylie said:

JOCK REID ! The best.

On 10/12/2013 at 1:43 PM, Carron said:

Had Miss Taggart for English. Didn't get on with her. There was a readership badge scheme. Basically you reviewed a fiction book from the school library. Can't remember how many got the first badge. Well, I got bored and discovered how a lot of the slim hardbacks, contained enough material for the review on the inside of the cover. All I had to then do, was reword it, find a bit of good writing, and the worse bit being, why I had enjoyed the book. We were told that we were forbidden from disliking a book, as we didn't know how to;.

Miss Taggart, was she dark skinned? Seem to remember her at grammar.

On 12/14/2009 at 11:01 AM, Saint Ziggy Stardust said:

Not many ex-Grammar on here. Auld Bertie Heeps only passed away in Feb 2009 which is quite surprising as he looked about 100 when I was there in the early/mid eighties. I got the belt from Bertie and it wasn't half sore for an old geezer.

I was up in court in front of Bertie Heeps not long after I'd left Grammar.