City Hall

Jamie_Beatson

I did get bumped from "the auld Muirton Bairns" Facebook site for saying it was an ugly building in the wrong place and that it should be pulled down. And nothing has changed my mind about about what should happen to the City Hall.

-----------------

you are no one til you are banned fae old muirton bairns

Whilst i agree Perth does lack character and has very few buildings of note . The City Hall is a building which has not been used in years and that has been for a reason or many reasons , mostly because it is actually a shite building for almost everything . The only use i can see for it is a bingo hall , job done , sell it to gala .

You're right about the church.  However, doesn't make the City Hall any less of an eyesore and wouldn't afford the same opportunities as knocking the City Hall down.

Love tae ken.!? the hopefull numpty that is footing the scaffolding bill.!two .?or maybe three years at £300 a week.! I heard it was the mob who wants to make it into a curry house for a couple of months... they really want tae make it into oddball shaped Flats but only if they get a Grant.!  for a as for the PCMT trust .Bampots..! there was an indoor market twenty yards from there ."Garvie and Symes old place. and "Brydens Market a Hundred yards away.! which bit the dust. but then again they say its for an "Upmarket" Market.! nae riff raff allowed.!

Problem with aesthetics is that it subjective.  You think its ugly, personally i think its a grand old building and adds character to Perth.

Take the current concert hall.  Personally I think it is 'ugly' and 'souless'.  I would not shed a tear if it were to become a much needed boating pond.

I've no problem with that - the issue I have is with the earlier implication earlier in the thread that aesthetics are irrelevant. I'd say that having an attractive, well designed city centre is absolutely imperative to the area and should be one of the main considerations.

And I do appreciate that it's subjective, but really struggle to understand what you see in the City Hall. It's basically a big brown oblong with a few pillars stuck at the front and a couple of horrendous cherubs hanging from the top. It's not as if we're talking about knocking down Gaudi's cathedral. It makes the city centre feel dark and claustrophobic, and it obscures a much nicer building behind it. Getting rid of it would immediately make the area feel brighter and more spacious.

Also just read the other suggestion on here of turning it into some sort of luxurious 5-star hotel. To me this would be a huge expense on something that could never work. Where would the people come from to fill it, and why? I reckon such a hotel would probably only last a few years before having to close down again.

I reckon they should have a few shitty jumble sales, some school singing festival and a Skids concert. You need to try something new in this modern age.  

Maybe get Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks booked up for some wrestling (or whoever the modern day equivalents are)

Edited by Edstar101

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

News today is that the City Hall is now unlikely to be demolished. There are two proposals on the table, hotel or indoor market, which the councillors will vote on.

Well we might get something done about it before the turn of the century ? Then again maybe no.