City Hall

Jamie_Beatson

Neither of the remaining proposals will benefit the city.  An indoor market is not going to be a success, as shopping habits have changed with more on-line shopping meaning that established high street shops are struggling, let alone a brand new indoor market.  Perth has plenty of hotels, and with the new Premier Inn just opened next to the concert hall, I can not see that we need yet another hotel.

Once again, PKC have shown that they are not up to the task of representing the peoples view in this city and have wasted so much time and money on a couple of proposals.  

We will be back debating the future of the city hall building in a couple of years time, once whichever of these ventures gets the go ahead have failed.

Neither of the remaining proposals will benefit the city.  An indoor market is not going to be a success, as shopping habits have changed with more on-line shopping meaning that established high street shops are struggling, let alone a brand new indoor market.  Perth has plenty of hotels, and with the new Premier Inn just opened next to the concert hall, I can not see that we need yet another hotel.

Once again, PKC have shown that they are not up to the task of representing the peoples view in this city and have wasted so much time and money on a couple of proposals.  

We will be back debating the future of the city hall building in a couple of years time, once whichever of these ventures gets the go ahead have failed.

I must be missing something here, yet again the Council seem to be the target, but correct me if i'm wrong but i'm fairly sure they were fully in favour of demolishing the City Hall to create a public space / city square.  Historic Scotland then got involved and that option was no longer available to the Council.  :?  they have tried over the last few years to continually push through the demolition only to be stopped at every stage.   So now they relent to what the people of perth seemingly want, they look at the only 2 viable proposals for the building, not determined by them but by a 3rd party brought in to scrutinise the proposals thoroughly and rate them accordingly, which will then be presented to Councillors for consideration in early July.

So I repeat, what exactly do you expect the COuncil to have done here that they have not already done?   :?  :confused:

Aye, apparently they can force them to prevent further delapidation or take steps themselves and bill the owners.

Sure this is the case, but will bow to someones superior knowledge.

Think something like this is happening in Scone with an underground burn that got blocked or something?

I must be missing something here, yet again the Council seem to be the target, but correct me if i'm wrong but i'm fairly sure they were fully in favour of demolishing the City Hall to create a public space / city square.  Historic Scotland then got involved and that option was no longer available to the Council.  :?  they have tried over the last few years to continually push through the demolition only to be stopped at every stage.   So now they relent to what the people of perth seemingly want, they look at the only 2 viable proposals for the building, not determined by them but by a 3rd party brought in to scrutinise the proposals thoroughly and rate them accordingly, which will then be presented to Councillors for consideration in early July.

So I repeat, what exactly do you expect the COuncil to have done here that they have not already done?   :?  :confused:

Good post, lieutenant. There are plenty of things to moan about when it comes to the council but this isn't one of them.

I really don't know what the "Somebody do something" whingers think the council have the power to do (Force the once a month market stall holders to open permanent stalls?).  If it's such a great business prospect why has nobody put their own money into it yet?

The same goes for St Pauls and that Scone drain. The council (i.e. you and I) shouldn't be paying for repairs and maintenance on behalf of irresponsible private owners. If and when they are forced to they'll probably face a long, expensive and uncertain fight to recoup the money. These situations aren't unique to Perth. 

tl;dr Knock the f*cking thing down already.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I read it's a 125 year lease.... how does this work in reality?

A food market is a mistake if given the green light. It's been empty for a while, what's the rush all of a sudden. Hope the right decision is made, I'd just keep it empty and closed for the time being..

Edited by Dave H

• 4 months later...

The front pillars and steps moved to the other side of road opening onto a square (or rectangle to the pedants out there) and maybe even some kind of pillars or gateway from South St and from the High St. Giving it a grand entrance is what it needs. Perth sorely lacks character but this building is not fit for anything. Think we should take it upon ourselves to start the demolition.  Everyone meet there on Sunday evening, bring your picks and hammers.